cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Passive aggressive people?

Probably the most frustrating thing to deal with...someone who tells ( or promises) they will do something you ask, and then doesn't do it.  I would rather they just say "No".  

We are about to confront some of this stuff around this place.  Get ready to hear a loud noise from down east....

How do you get this kind of person motivated?   I am thinking a stick of dynamite....

0 Kudos
9 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: Passive aggressive people?

I don't have the answer but we are finding trust worthy and truthful people hard to find these days.  We have a problem with the renters not communicating with us. We can not get them to answer phone or come to the door. Now we get a bill for a repairman they have called.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Danger signals to me...you need to notify them and schedule a walkthrough of your property.  I wish I had that years ago, before so much damage was done to one of our houses.

As for the repair bill, if theyndidn't call you, I do not thnk you really owe it.   I woild insist upon seeing the repair, regardless of what it is.  That is justification enough to post them a notice that you are doing an inspection on the door, if they won't  answer you when you knock, 

Hope they are at least paying the rent.  This is why I hired a badass agent.  

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

You have validated my concerns. The good part is that they pay their rent.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I thought that was just 'unreliable'. 

I always thought passive-aggressive behavior reared its head, when people were arguing, or the like.   Where instead of fighting, they kind of turn stubborn.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

You have my absolute understanding from the point of view of the landlord.  Our tenants paid rent, but destroyed the property, mostly animal damage.  

I do not knw what your lease  says about repairs.  In general, logic dictates thatbyounwould want a plumber to stop a serious water leak, to prevent further damage.  Electrical or other issues that could be safety concerns might trigger rationale for a tenant to call for immediate help, if you are out of reach...which doesn't sound like the case here.  

i would call the repair person, and tell them they were called without your approval, and that as soon as you see the repairs were done and necessary, you will act accordingly.  Explain that you own the property, but were not consulted about calling for repairs, and the tenant isn't answering your calls, and doesn't come to the door.  

Make it ,"I want to pay you, but I have to put my eyes on your work first." They certainly knew how to give out your info for mailing the bill, so unless it was an emergency, they knew how to reach you, and should have.

If you act cooperative with the repair person, you may learn what is going on insde your house.  Again, if you have state law requiring that you notify x days ahead of a property inspection, do What the law requires you to do.

You may want to call your family attorney, to see what is required.  Laws on landlord/tenant relations vary tremendously from state to state, and may depend on your type of lease agreement.

For starters, I would get inside that house, with a camera, and take pictures, even if it looks like the Taj Mahal today.  They could trash it for spite tomorrow, and the courts would want to see the difference over time. 

You also need to clarify in writing how repairs are supposed to be scheduled.  I allowed my licensed agent discretion up to $250.  I would not give a tenant that discretion, over $25.  That way, they won't be handing you some bogus receipt every month for a hundred bucks, just to cut their rent.p

Forty-eight  hours should be completely sufficient notice.  Good luck...let me know what you figure out.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I guess the end result is the same...nothing gets done.  Unreliability is the result, and I think passive agression is one possible cause...does that make sense to you?  

People can be forgetful, and that is another cause.  They can overcommit, and not be able to get around to it, no matter how hard they try...another possible cause. They can prioritize your request lower than ypunwoild like them to, and are going to get ot it, just not fast enough.

I have tried to attribute all pf these reasons, and more, to the task I need help with right now.  I cannot get it done alone, and have tried to be plenty patient.  We are stuck here in Carolina again today, Win has left early enough to allow me tahe whole afternoon, and it is going to be watm enough at last to move my stash of glass to the store.  

We have to make numerous trips down the stairs with large sheets of  expensive glass, set in in spare crates on a utility trailer, and then unload and re- rack them in the crates a mile away.

It will take maybe 2-3 hours, and the front door will be open half that time, the store bay door the other half .  It is something my knees  will NOT permit me to do alone, and since this has been at the top pf my to- do list since December 2nd ( I just checked pn iPad)' I feel I have been patient long enough, while everything else came first. 

This is something Mike can do, while taking the required 15-minute glance at the irrigation system, while it runs.  I just need him to meet me halfway dpwn the stairs, take the sheets and empty crates tso the trailer, then help me get the, unloaded at my shop.  

I am craving the crafting I need to do right now.  There are two door lite projects for Jenna's house that are seriously needed for privacy, and each one is a design that I have selected to honor her memory...so, something spiritually necessary fro me to do, while it is not gardening season yet.  

I have been promised that today is the day.  The men have fixed the truck that quit this weekend, and unloaded the trailer that's needed of its barrel of oil for the shop.  I just packed ,y little boy put the door, and finished one set of tax forms.  Am taking a coffee break then clearing the stairway of wall hangings...maybe if I pile those on his chair, it will get done before TV time tonight!  

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

With my MIL's place, we put in the contract, that all livestock damage, must be repaired by Dec. 31, of the year of the damage, (in addition to regular fence fixing).  Any damage not repaired by the end of the year, shall be hired, with the tenant agreeing to pay for it.  We hired an agent, to oversee the property (none of the kids live near there, and she is getting older, and Alzheimers is starting to set in, so she really can't anymore).   The agent inspects the place from time to time, and we can go look things over, if need be.   The tenant understands, failure to agree to this, is their eviction notice, and they will still get the bill for damage, regardless.

So far, so good.   We have been lucky to find tenants that take reasonable care of things, and so far none of that was necessary.   However, I can tell that for the most part, they aren't very proactive, and only fix what they 'have' to, instead of staying on top of things, like my late FIL would.

The way the lease is written, they pay for 'damage', we take care of the things that just wear out or break, either fix it, or get it fixed, and normal use items, we cover materials, they provide or hire the labor (example, for a fence, we buy the posts & barbed wire, they upkeep the fence).

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Sounds like you have a good agent, and decent tenants.  There are a lot of people having to rent, who used to own, because of the housing meltdown, and tighter credit now.  It will be interesting to see if they are better or worse than typical tenants of the past.

i used to say to Mike a lot that there re reasons ehy some people live their lives always having to rent.  Some re just plain unable to settle down.  Others are moved around too much by their work.

Many just cannot scrape up the down payment...and come to think of it, these are the ones that got those overly-creative mortgages with zero down, ARMs, Alt-As and stuff like that.  Now, with whatever credit they had ruined by the mortgage fiasco, they are back renting once more.  

It will take a good while before our rentals get out of the red, from the extensive, expensive repairs of this past year.  The agent virtually doubled the rents we were charging, so that helps a lot.  We got burned badly...good thing I believe in karma. 

0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

Even worse.  I am realizing that I am dealing with a covert agreesive person every day around here.  Have pretty much kept my mouth shut for now but my frustration is building.

0 Kudos