cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Pent-up projects?

The end of first cutting last Wednesday was followed by Mike's push to haul three loads of cows to Virginia by today. We agreed to one on Friday, on our way up for overnight guests on Saturday. i sent him back Saturday morning early, to make the second load, while I shopped groceries and ran a couple of errands.

One of those was to pick up a wine kit that the brewshop owner had been emailing me aboutfir several weeks, aspecial order. It just had to wait on the hay.

The kids finally got their warranty repairs done on the boiler we gave them for their house, when we upsized at Jenna's. Just in the nick of time for a deadline the dealer forgot to warn me about... The parts that failed had to be sent back or bought. Not that they didn't trust us, but the manufacturer has set in stone rules.

The pool is slowly getting opened...I have given the order fir the hired man to scoop leaves daily until the vacuum can get the rest.

Mike spent a while getting an extension built onto Winn's swinget, just putting screws into another set of bravkets and posts, so we can add a section witha cargo net for him to climb. That was maddening, because the top wooden beam had warped while waiting for this add-on.

We finally got it done, and once he find two more blards in storage, we can hang and anchor the net. Need to lay hands on the correct wood bit, too. I think it's on the garage in Virginia.

Hired guy is digging out some clumps of liriope ( we call it monkey hrass here), because I find them snaky. Our houseguests this weekend want to re-home some of it. Free plants are hard to refuse. Two birds, one stone.

SIL got the final repairs done on Mike's big Grasshopper, so the yard got mowed in no time this morning. Now, my yard yractor mlwer can go back tl the work ofulling the cart for landscaping materials at Jenna's. Not today, but I expect by next weekend.

I have the commitment from Mike that he'll help me get my drips installed to the roses and shrubs up there. Got started weeks ago, did a bit this weekend. It really won't take long, at least for the front loop.

The boiler folks measured for the workshop heat on Saturday, when they retrieved the warranty return parts. Mike agreed to drop the eater line in their trench, do supply line to greenhouse and shop are solved. Afyer the irrigation piece is rone, the greenhouse posts start to be set.

Lots of pent- up projects, but not a bad couple of weeks to work them in. Second cutting in Carolina, on the irrigated acres, is just around the corner.

Do you keep lists of honey-dos, and wait for an oprn window to work them in, too?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SLC
Senior Contributor

Re: Pent-up projects?

There is always a list of things that need to be done around here.   I think it goes along with farms & property ownership.    

This summer we put together a list that our 17 year old son can do to keep him busy.  He is quite capable but the things still need to be something that he can figure out and do himself.    It also seems that we often end up with all of his friends over here so there are things on his list that could be done with friends.    Last week, I was away for the day & they put new tin on a shed that had flipped over.  They did this in between rains.    I did come home to a utility room full of muddy boots & wet clothes and a houseful of very hungry boys.

0 Kudos
SLC
Senior Contributor

Yesterday evening, DS and I made a trip to Menards and many $$$ later, we have the supplies to build a shed.   Today in between trips to the field to bring seed and raking some hay, DS has started on a 12 x 16 garden shed.   I'm hoping he keeps the enthusiasm going.   He built a loafing shed during Christmas break and did a pretty good job.   

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

That's a pretty big garden shed! Plenty room for tools, mowers, etc. It is really nice to get everything into one place.

We got the front run of shrubblers done in VA today. This stuff is so simple...it was just that we got busy and the rosebushes have gotten BIG. Had to pin some of them back behind lumber to get in and set the lines in place.

Trying to get him to commit to picking up the peatmoss for my greenhouse container mix tomorrow. Have decided to drip irrigate in there, too.
0 Kudos