cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Power out

I'm really dragging this AM.   Around  9:30pm the power started blinking on and off.  Went on for almost an hour.   Then at 10:40pm  it went out for good.   I checked my nursery pigs and due to the slight breeze they were okay.   Staying warm and adequate air.   Checked them every  2 hours.    Used my cell phone as an alarm clock.    According to message with power company   181 were affected  and expected power to be restored at 4 AM.   Got power back on at 4:30 am.   Because the pigs were doing okay.. I saw no reason for Tom to have to get up and hook up the PTO  generator.    He let me sleep in this morning.    

A neighbor reported seeing a big ball of orange to the north everytime the power blinked.   I'm guessing they had to replace a transformer someplace.    Strange thing  our neighbors to the south, west and east  all had power.    Our power must come from the north. 

I'm guessing I'm tired just like the looters of Missouri are this AM.  Disgraceful!    The words of the mom were meant to ensight rioting and looting.   She has never accepted that she raised a:  thief,  thug and bully.    There  I said it. 

13 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Power out

We lost power twice yesterday also.  About 4 in the afternoon it just sputtered enough to shut everything down but didn't stay off.  Then just before 9 last night it went off.  Our closet neighbor had power though.  But through facebook found that places just north of us didn't.  Since our electrical feed is new since the expansion hubby called the electrician to make sure the problem wasn't on our property.  He came checked things out and then found out there was a down line about a mile north of us and the power company was working on it.  Must of maybe been in the are because of the flickering in the afternoon.  Power was off about an hour. 

Kind of strange I think, because the way the power came onto our property before they made the changes it was more likely for every one around us to  be out and we would still be on.  Think this is probably about the first time in at least 5 years that we've lost power because of line problems, other than in August we the underground line to our place failed.  The 2 times before that were only about a month apart 2 years ago and were the crew laying the crazy fiberoptic lines they laid all over the place.  Stupid crew cut our power in the exact same place twice.  Miss Diggs apparently didn't know our line was there.  I say carzy fiberoptic lines because they dug them in along a bunch of roads in mid Michigan but as far as I know they still aren't being used for anything.  Rumor was it had/has something to do with high speed internet for schools.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Probably shouldn't hijack your thread but I'm speechless regarding Ferguson.    How in the world does it help to loot and ruin innocent bystander's lives and livelihoods?    I wonder tho if the media were to leave or refuse to cover it, if there would be this much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Ferguson was to be expected...there had been months of " indict him or else" talk there. The demonstrations in other cities nationwide - at the incitement of Al Sharpton, et al - trouble me far more.

Several cities here in NC had disruotions today. Hoping the holiday will break it up soon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Everyone has right to free speech and to peacefully demonstrate. Where it stops is when it incites violence. I just don't understand why they destroyed their own neighborhoods. But there are usually a few bad apples to every group. Too bad they didn't have the power to separate the negative actions from their own nonviolent ones. I do blame the State Patrol for ill preparation in keeping this powderkeg from exploding. They had plenty of knowledge that this was a good possibility and could've gotten it coordinated with the indictment reading. What a sad mess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

What is sad about the situation is that the message that needs to be heard, the lesson that needs to be learned, and the problems that need to be addressed are getting lost in the violent reaction.                                                                                                                       I do believe our justice system worked the way it is suppose to.  I wish people would respect that and take pride in living in a country with a justice system that does work.

But the violence just harms everyone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

This is indeed a sad and troublesome situation. I feel for those who lost and property. I don't see it being rebuilt and think about trying to sell and leave the town. Al Sharpton shares the blame as does the step-father. I just heard an expert talking about a young boy growing up in a house with that guy and not being scared.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It is truly a mess with many to blame.  I don't know how that young police officer will ever have a safe, decent life.  There is a post on Facebook I need to read & share from a black man but it is long & I'm short on time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I agree his life is ruined in many ways and I see a baby is on the way for he and his new wife.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Linda, it is probably the same one I saw copied esrlier..I think late yesterday. It is worth reading...if it is true, it says a lot about how law-abiding African American people regard this looting and the rationale that spawns it.

My main reaction is that I was relieved for the young officer. I saw a video clip of him yesterday on TV, and he looked extremely young. I do not know how he will ever have a safe and useful law ebforcement career in Ferguson, or anywhere, really. I hope he finds sponsors to send him on to college fir a different occupation....

We forget what we ask our law enforcement personnel to tolerate every day, who they have to judge in a split second, how we will never know what exactly transpires in such an encounter. I find it hard to believe in 2014 that there was no video of their struggle. Cities have had cameras in the streets for decades now.
0 Kudos