cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Project board empty

When our son and his helper were here reframing and replacing the three rooms of flooring this summer, we started a lot of other, more cosmetic projects.  I told them not to pass up any other work, but that these projects were here with the materials for them to do anytime they wanted some indoor hours. 

He wanted to work indoors this week, since we've been cold and damp again, so has come down three days to finish up the lot of them.  Most of this was tile and trim. It's all done, and they are cleaning up now. 

We had made up a system of index cards clipped onto a metal photo rack screwed up in the hallway, so they did not need me here to remind them what I wanted done.  Earlier today, they told me that it was finally empty. 

Of course, now that the floors and walls look so good, you KNOW the ceilings all show that they need painting...five new cards.   The barn in the yard needs a roof framed and skinned, and the country store needs new shingles and five new doors...three more cards. 

The kennel needs a divider and the dog "condo" needs two more rooms...two more.  Sheep shed that suffered a slight roof cave-in during our Big Snow in December has to be jacked up and strengthened, so eleven new cards total.  Nope, twelve: I forgot the new pool deck. 

Fixing up this place is starting to feel like housework....never done.  I know Linda has had a lot of work going at her house this winter.  Soilbabe says she's got intentions of doing over her bathrooms this year.  Anyone else got a project list filling up for a warm, sunny day? 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Project board empty

I just bought a house that was built in 58 and 82.   I have a ton of projects to do....The first is trying to get wallpaper off so I can paint.  any suggestions.? 

Also, the woodwork is all blonde so would like to change that someday...the painten place suggested I use a stain gel...just sand the wood and put on the gel....might try it on a bedroom doorway first.

Then theres the packing and moving....

Brought a pickup load there today..as the garage is small I left the pickup outside.  As I was carrying stuff in, a long haired grey cat ran in the house for a tour.   I thought it had went down the basement so after checking that out, I came upstairs to see it standing in front of the door to the garage...I scared it outside but it hung around to see if it could get back in...

Looks like a future problem to me. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Taking off wallpaper is no problem if it was put onto a surface that had been painted before,or was properly prepared for paper if not.  The paint store guys probably have toe tools and solutions for stripping paper. 

I do not know about sanding and re-staining trim.  Since it is already light stained, it ought to be stain grade, so will look good if you can get the surface de-glossed enough to take new stain into the grain.  

As for the cat, it sounds like he may have lived there at some point, or either he's really bold. 

I honestly think you need to get settled in and take it slow.  I am not too keen on teargin up a ton fo stuff at once.

The residential design courses I took years ago taught me a lot about sequencing work, ordering supplies far enough ahead to have them in place when the workers arrive, etc.  Our son says it is really good to work with someone who understands that. 

He left today with measurements for five custom doors for that old store, which will take a couple of weeks to build.  We gave him free range to pick up the decking materials, and asked him to figure up the way to frame the barn roof. 

If the weather stays crudddy, he'll start painting ceilings.  If it breaks and gets nice, he'll start on the deck.  The pool repair people haev to work in there sometime, too.  I know the guys will want the roof done by the end of April, since it gets too hot for comfort in May.  If he gets very busy back home, we can delay the roof until the fall. 

You have run a farm.  You know about leadtimes and sequencing work, and building reapairs and maintenance follow many of the same laws of the universe.  Good luck.  Keep us posted on your progress. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

After striping paper off paneling, my DH says no more wallpaper! Unless it comes off easily, rent a steam and score the paper first. Vinegar and ammonia in water help soften the glue.

Staining the trim sounds like a lot of work. I would think about sanding the molding and painting it with a good paint.

As for projects here, I thought the area along the stairs would be painted this winter but other projects came first. Our cabin work got stopped with my accident and that is on the agenda along with a screened porch for the cabin. The wood stove needs to be put in and the tile under and behind the stove. I have the curtains almost done and the log cabin pattern quilt started since I can climb the stairs again.

But DH keeps reminding me that the grass will soon be green again and the garden and lawn work will begin again. Right now snowing is falling again and more forecast for next week.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Wallpaper is probably grossly out of style, or so my kids tell me.  I have half-walls of it in only the bedroom, above the ancient pine wainscotting. 

Other than that, I have used border above the kneewalls in the two little rooms where the girls used to sleep upstairs, in a couple of small spaces between windows in the hallways, and for a wall of "books" in the hallway by the side entrance.  Right now, it is just enough...any more would be too much.

It is too cold and nasty to do very much but dream and plan these days...although, quilting is a good way to pass winter days.  Think how much fun the cabin work is going to be when you get back to it this year!  I can just see those two rockers sitting side-by-side on that screened porch now....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

kay..what is the country store for?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

This is the little cinderblock store and metal storage warehouse that we bought in September.  It sits on an eight-acre wedge of land that juts into our place, and has a paved lot and highway business zoning, so offers some potential.  It's got a part that is the store, with a big storage room off of that, then a larger part that is a two-bay garage with separate entrance.  It is located on the main highway between the county seat and the next village, about six miles from each.  Lots of traffic passes by every day. 

We bought it mostly because of where it is and what we've had to look at going on up there - from drug dealers to a hardcore biker bunch calling it a clubhouse.  It was tied up in a defunct corporation, all of whose members are now deceased, so a title nightmare, and had junk - tons and tons of car parts, construction debris, etc. - scattered all over the site. 

The county sold it for back taxes last July, which meant it had a clearer title.  The buyer spent quite a bit having the junkyard cleaned up professionally.  He did not have any serious purpose for it, so offered it to us.  It was not a bad offer, so we took it. 

So, we have a nice concrete block building with some decent features, on a very visible corner.  SIL has hooked up the electricity, and uses the garage for things like painting their old cars, and they store excess horse grain sacks on pallets, and use our Bobcat up there to move them.  I have one other kid who has expressed a "someday" business idea for the store portion, but that is at least two years off, if it materializes. 

For now, we are going to repair the roof, bring in a Buckstove for heat in the shop portion, and replace all the doors, so as to better secure the property.  My storage boxes and some of Mike's bike parts are in the warehouse, which has a nice, sound raised  wooden floor and no windows, so pretty secure.  There are two toilet/lavatories in the garage portion, but only one still has its fixtures. 

I haven't really stepped off the buildings, but I'd guess the store is about 16x20, the garage about 24x24, and the little warehouse about 20x35??? 

Once the roof is fixed and the doors not just slabs nailed in place, I think it will be pretty ready to paint.  We know the electrical connection needs replacing before the guys can roof, so Mike is supposed to get with the electrician about that ASAP.  I want the roof in dark gray slate shingles, probably the dimensional ones.  May paint the outside to match our farm red and white-trimmed buildings, but might want a more subdued color for the block walls. 

You would think he cast of characters i described up there woudl have trashed the place, but they were too trifling to screw it up much.  It is essentially painted inside just as it was when it was a country store - white walls and green trim.  Plank ceiling painter white, some ceiling tile in good shape.  The kids have been in the attic, and say it is completely empty, so it will be easy to get into to re-wire fixtures and such.   Not going to be a cheap project, but one I can cashflow over a year or so easily, I think. 

It would be a wonderful place to spread some of my hobbies out in, but hate to move it all and then have to move it again if the kid's plan turns out.  I do not know what we will do with it, beyond making it safer and cleaner...I'd love to add a small greenhouse to the end of the store..have a 26x40  I am not using here right now and it would be perfect there. 

This is the building I asked for ideas about last fall...got any good ones for us?  I am having to make a life plan change right now, and I'd love to think this little place could play a positive role. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I was reading a blog about a lady that has a little shop that she gets women together to quilt every once in awhile.  Others ideas for you: scrapbooking get togethers where you can set everything out and leave it lay for the next day without having to pick it up.  maybe a place for 4H meetings, bridal showers, card clubs etc.  Even stained glass classes or karate classes!!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My project board right now is to get my cellar way/entry way painted.  I walk past the can of paint daily!  I think its been sitting there since summer.  I am also trying to figure out decorating idea's.  As you know, i am into the country/antique style.  I still have my Christmas decor above my cupboard not wanteing to put the stuff back that I had up there before christmas.  I also have a denim ragged quilt I need to get finished up.  Got all the denim squares cut, now am deciding what to use for backing  Have farmall material, but do I use a little batting in it too? So that is what is on my mind...And the barn foundation tour that I am supposed to be putting together.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Sounds like a lot of potential to play with there.  Good investment.  I'm still waiting for BIL to put 2 bricks onto the fireplace.  Smiley Mad

Other issues:  The new TV  that was a "bugger" to put up on the wall hangar.  (no pro's here)  The blue ray player was attached but somehow the VCR/DVD recorder wasn't so we have the TV up & no one wants to take it down.  We milk during the better programs & come in when nothing's on.  (no dish here)  I got the recorder put together on the bedroom TV but haven't got the recording part figured out with that box.  Thinking of getting a DVR for the new TV as the recorder is an older one & probably will be a problem there.

The old TV, which works yet, is an orphan.  Still sitting in the LR too, taking up space.  Haven't got any takers on it even at "free".  The old cast iron heater is in my office also taking up space.

DH is so grumpy (that doesn't begin to describe his mood-he's out trying to dig out the tractor that got stuck in the snow) I don't want to even begin to approach moving either one.  Plus with all this snow moving either will be fun.

The bedroom I have paper for & a willing lady to hang it is on hold also.  Need some muscle to take down bed, move stuff out, etc.  Then strip the wall paper.  (MN, I rent a steamer) 

The infamous window that was ordered is still sitting at the lumber yard.  Too blessed cold to tackle that.  My enthusiasim for cleaner has left during these projects & it's getting deep here.

My BIG  project is TAXES which I need to return to along with my stiff neck from looking at this computer.

0 Kudos