cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Prom time

Linda, congrats on getting back into the dress! Yes, take it on the cruise!! Even if you're more dressed up than everyone else (which I doubt), so what?!? You'll look fabulous!

My dad is kind of a neat freak, and always complains to me that his house is cluttered up "with all of my prom dresses," LOL! Since I rented the one, that's not an issue, and the other I passed on to a younger cousin, so it's just this little gold number hanging in one closet. It's become sort of a joke in our family, about my prom dresses messing up their house, LOL.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

FIRST, we'll have to sell the cows and THEN I'll have to talk Ronnie into it.  He's dug his heels in when it comes to cruises.  Maybe that's why we have a dairy!  LOL  Maybe I'll talk my girlfriends into going-that would probably be lots of fun!

0 Kudos
Advisor

What a great bunch, then and now.  You are lucky that everyone is still able to make it back for reunions.  Treasure that....

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Love the pics.!!!!!!!  Well went to the prom meeting and got the prom banquet dropped in my lap.....mom of the jr. class pres. gets that job....!!!!!!  Well at least the catarer was lined up all ready and the food picked out....I just need to line everyone up to set up the night before, appetizers, punch, tableware and table decor, servers and clean up yeehaaw.

ideas on table decor???????  colors are kinda...black-silver and blue

S.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Table decor

Hard to find flowers in that color scheme, isn't it? 

On table decor...is it traditional that the kids like to take the centerpieces away as they leave for the evening or not?  How much do you really have to spend? 

We hosted a baby shower on Sunday, and my daughter added some of those glass nuggets in clear and blue, scattered around the weighted base of some helium balloons.  I've also seen people use packets of those foil punchout shapes scattered across the cloth.  The glitter catches the light. 

The base was covered with blue tissue paper and tied with a white ribbon.  She also unrolled some of that silver wired garland-y looking stuff from the dollar store...I think it was actually gift wrap stuff.  I've also seen prom kids use inexpensive mirror tiles underneath the centerpieces, and it added soem to teh particualr one they were using. 

In short, shiny and cheap, but it looked really cute.  Did they pick a theme or theme song?  That can sometimes give you a direction for the tables....

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Wow!  I can't believe it's prom time but that's good news because it means that it's warming up now!!!  I went to two proms my jr. year since my bf at the time was from a different school.  To be honest I could have cared less about going to prom but got suckered into going by the bf who wasn't a bf at the time.  Confusing I know.  LOL  Anyways, I wore my bridesmaid dress from my sisters wedding that previous summer but altered a bit.  I took off the stupid bow and had different shoes.  I really hated that darn bow!  My bf joined the military so he was away my sr. year but I did go to the after prom party and had a blast there.

I just can't believe the cost that some families put into prom.  High end dresses, shoes, makeup, hair, flowers, limo rentals.  It's definately an event for some people. 

On that note I didn't know colleges had prom anymore.  I can't remember ours having one but I did have to contend with formals for fraternities and sorities which was definately fun.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My grandson's date looked at least 20 yrs. old in the dress, hair, & make up.  I could take lessons from her!  LOL  Sophisticated.  What amazes me is the Homecoming.  We always had formals for prom but never Homecoming.  Maybe a new skirt & sweater set & a mum corsage.

Now they wear formals for that too.  Sure dates me.  Glad I'm not footing the bill for these girls.  Kinda makes you glad when you have a boy!

Senior Contributor

The servers were picked from the sophomore class by the juniors. If you do it that way, make certain that the uniforms are tasteful and not too "grown-up." The parents of the sophomores picked really didn't appreciate the costumes.

Tables could be covered with black tablecloth, a mirror under a clear bowl of blue flowers (can be just a single head of a fake flower or three). Could also be covered in water if using real flowers.

Is the meal going to be held in the same place as the dance? We had votive candles on the tables at the dance which was in a separate room from the dinner. Maybe a tea light inside blue votive jars? Lighting may make a difference in what is acceptable or not.

Just a thought to carry all the colors in the decorations. Hope this gives you ideas.

0 Kudos