cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Proud moment for me today

I just paid the last installment on my student loans!!!!  I am now studen loan free!  I'm so excited.  I graduated in May of 1999 and yes I should have had them paid off a long time ago but I was stupid about money and responsibilities and got behind and what not.  Anyways, I got back on the right track and was down to my last loan to pay off and I did it today.  I took a little bit from the Dave Ramsey Financial Freedom thinking and had paid off 1 and then took that payment and paid additional on another and so forth until I was down to my last one.  I knew I had a payment coming up on the 2nd so I looked at my balance and I only had $227.31 left.  Since I was paying $200 a month anyways (even though my payment was suppose to only be $50) I went ahead and paid it all off.  According to my account I was paid ahead until Dec. 2016 as it was.  I'm so happy and it's a great feeling to know that I was able to get things back where they should have been in the first place.  I can honestly say that Todd and I have come a long ways on repairing our credit and we can only blame ourselves for our stupidity. 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Proud moment for me today

Congratulations! It is a good feeling to get one less creditor envel to ope out of your mailbox, isn't it? Education of all kinds is usually the expensive kind. Try to remember the experience every time you make a big purchase. It's always a scarey thought when you sign the line to a loan, unless you have a plan to repay it without penalty.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Congratulations! Great feeling.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Congrats!
0 Kudos
Advisor

Proud of you.   Way to go.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

congratulations

Student loans another hot topic. 

I'm pretty sure all my kids are still paying on their loans, although the oldest 2 and their spouses might have theirs paid off. Although the second daughters hubby is a military academy graduate, so he had no education bill.(I don't think)

Youngest daughter has huge debt and is still in school.  Has one useless degree and just called today to say she got accepted into nursing school at the school of her choice.

So different for my kids to go to school than it was for my husband.

I don't really know how he paid for his first year of undergrad, then he volunteered his draft and went to the army.

Then GI Bill paid for the rest of that undergraduate degree, an MBA and all but the project class (which he never finished) for the Masters on his BS degree.

We actually made money when he was going to school.  Because we were a growing family the GI Bill more than covered it.  But sorry to say I don't think that is true for today's vets.

Hubby was in the Army during Viet Nam.  Finished his duty coming home from Nam in April of 1971.  Went to school at least part time until 1984 when his benefits stopped.

Had a younger bil that was in the army from I think 75 to 79 and he couldn't even get enough GI Bill to go to Mechanics school.

Oldest daughter entered college in 1993, when her younger sister entered college in 2000 her tuition alone was  as much or more as her older sister's entire bill for tuition housing and meals was.

Education has become very very expensive.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!  Grandson is a Sr. In college & has been sending out applications & going for interviews but no job yet.  I am very concerned for him.  Not an easy road for graduates nowadays.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Linda, it issupposed to be lots better today than it's been the last seven years. Companies have factored in the uncertainties ofbthe ACA, and the economy shows improved statistics. How much those may be manipulated, it is hard to say....
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

YEAH!!!  Congratulations!   

In reference to what some others have said..  I agree, college has become extremely expensive.  We have one in school now with another going in 2 years.   This spring, I paid DD's tuition and then she gave me her book list.    ONE book cost more than my tuition for one semester when I was going. Yikes  

It seems as though more scholarships are available now IF you look for them and care enough to try to qualify.   Many are academic based so it pays to keep the grades up - starting in HS.  Also noted that it is cheaper if a lot of the required general classes can be taken during HS as college credit or at a junior college.   However, I think much of the value in the college education come from the networking so it is important to go to the right school for the area of interest.   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Many kids are better off with technical skills programs, in fields that are underfilled now. I would be happier as a bulldizer operator with a job, than an unemployed/ underemployed Ph. D.

0 Kudos