cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Q&A: What are you reading now?

Thought I would share this one, too. With shorter daylight and cold, it's a good time fir so e good reads. What we choose to read says a lot about us and where our minds are at, too.

I have been enjoying a new Paleo cookbook ( Primal Cravings) that tells how to convert a lot of favorites to Paleo principles. Had a wonderful broccoli and bacon salad out of it as a side dish tonight. Want to try a lime and tequilla slaw next.

Still working on " In Search of Lost Roses" and have a couple of Kindle downloads waiting in the wings. Oh, and there are always seed catalogs this time of year!

What are you reading now?
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Suey73
Advisor

Re: Q&A: What are you reading now?

Burning Man by Alan Russel on my Kindle.  Still adapting to the technology.   

And I'm reading farm records trying to make sure all are done up to snuff. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Forgot about ( trying to forget?) the Quickbooks for Farm Accounting book. It is not a very thrilling plot....

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I just purchased two small books thinking I would now have time to read something.  "Surving the Angel of Death' is written by a surviving twin from Auschwitz. She lives not too far from here and built a musuem to educate people on what Hitler did to the Jews. I have only read one chapter and it will be a difficult read but I do want to do this.

The second one 'The Book of Barkley' is written by a special woman whose blog I follow. She writes in a wonderful profound way about life and her dog. She is giving the proceeds to rescue groups.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Good to have what sounds like a very positive counterpoint to the Holocaust memoir. Ellie Wiesel's " Night" broke my heart....

The de-ckuttering resolution/intention I started thisweek has caused me to pull out FLYLady's " Sink Refkections", too. I eill probably cherry pick chapters there. Just dug out that notebook ( Control Journal) from a crate in my office yesterday. It was stuck there somewhere in the time frame where our world fell apart.

Amazing how I tried to account for every little thing then. Somehow, life is so much simpler now! I think being responsibke for so much of Winn's care has made me drop a lot of the BS, and the rest is automatic, like when our kids were young.

Spend way more time reading recipes, now that we use next to zero convenience foods. Time well spent!
0 Kudos
SLC
Senior Contributor

I am not reading a thing right now.  I think I will start something light and entertaining.. like one of those stupid cooking murder mysteries..     not really into anything heavy right now.   

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Reading a very light fluff on kindle.  Which is what I seem to have offered to me on the free books-or else mysteries.

Haven't really been into much reading lately.  Trying to get the bookwork done.  Have a lot to do as I keep banging my head on this Quicken.  Should have gotten Quickbooks I guess.  Having trouble sorting/setting up the categories I want.

Didn't think I'd have quite this much to do with no dairying.  Want to get done & try another program.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

book or e reader?

Even though I have bumped up the size of the font, I am heading to the library soon to get a "real" book.  Have some headaches & want to see if it makes a difference.  The only problem is my lights for reading.  Need to adjust some of them.  Sometimes I just want to "feel" my book.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: book or e reader?

Lax on reading lighting in NC, too, but not so bad here at Jenna's. I tend to read a lot on iPad, because the Kindle app is as good as any...just cannot order downloads with it yet. Can on Droid, though...apple and its proprietary crap!

I prefer paper pages for cookbooks...also, research shows that a bright screen can cause sleep problems. Hard as I am working to get rid of that issue, I try to lay iPad et al, aside awhile before turning in.

Hope you shed those headaches soon. Are they constant, or sporadic? If a hot shower relieves them, sinuses may be implicated.

Watching " The Vikings" right now...two major ( male) characters soaking in an ancient Roman bath. The old cultures had some things right, I believe. No quick shower and then rush about your day for them!
0 Kudos
Midwest Farm
Veteran Contributor

Re: book or e reader?

Vikings?   OMG ..Ragnor and me are tight.!!!..and Floki? love em.  ha    And Legartha? ...she's an inspiration..

I'm watching a rerun as we speak...can't wait until the new season!! The intro music and video are awesome too. Glad you like them.

0 Kudos