cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Q&A: what's your biggest...

...obstacle right now?

I knkw fir many, it may be getting taxes out of the way. Weather is setting itself up as a hurdle to jump in other areas.

I thought about this one, and decided that my biggest obstacle is me. I get in the way of my own progress. I have been stuck in quicksand, and it's time to grab a vine and hoist myself up out of that mire.

Taxes are all over, but the crying, and the cold just forces me to face some work indoors, instead of escaping out into the sunshine and fresh air.

I have put the whole crowd on notice: get your crap out of the office, or at least straight in it, or I will! I don't mind sharing my space, but they haven taken over and trashed half of it...maybe more. I have removed the obstacle of my own hesistance now. This weekend, I get out of my own way!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Q&A: what's your biggest...

Taxes.  Felt so confident & I get over there & see there are one missing total-very minor- and two totals for supplies.  This was my error for not catching the Quicken issue on a double category.

Then we got the mail after a late delivery & another form that needs to be entered.  Aargh!  Now I'll have to run back over tomorrow probably.  Several pages if I  fax.  We'll see.

Otherwise my big obstacle is DH & the "honey do" list.  And it's getting longer.  Some of these would not take any time at all.  I've threatened to hire somebody & get nowhere.  After I get these taxes filed & boxed up I would like to start cleaning & purging.  Have already started the file cabinet.  Have lots of dairy catalogs we no longer need.  I'm actually wondering if I will need the file cabinet at all after I'm done.  Anyway I'm giving a deadline then I'm calling.  I can't start cleaning until these repairs are done.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The portable file cabinets work pretty well and you can move them from place to place. Stand your ground on the honey-do lists. Our submissiveness have been taken for granted for far too long, especially if the list would benefit all. Good Luck. My obstacle is also myself, but I know it will take awhile to get back to normal; I'm just not very patient. :-)

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Illness can certainly be an obstacle, in and of itself. Many folks here deal with conditions that sap them of their energy and other resources...I know you do. I don't think it is fair to judge yourself harshly when you are healing.

For us, it has been a lot about the grieving process, which got so complicated with that lawsuit...we knew it was a possibility, but when it actually is served, the fear turns to anger, turns to destruction of whatever progress you thought you had made. It drags you way back down that steep hill you had been scrambling to climb for years now.

Now, I can say the only thing standing in my way is my own distractibility. I think things like taxes and housework as simply symto,s of hiw we handle - or don't - things in general. Then again, the CPA just saw me Tuesday, and her minions have yet to start calling with their questions. That is never fun....
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Same thing happened with the 1099 from our rental agent in VA. Then, I realized it gave the gross, not net after her percentage, rents, so had to get that figured out with the accountant. Still one investment item had no form for...what to do?

We cannot wait for that, or will not file on time. They have to call a couple of others anyway...always do.

Hope yours works out well soon. It is frustrating when things keep cropping up.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Obstacles..  

Taxes - enough said

Honey-do list - or rather working thru totally different set of priorities

Weather can be an obstacle especially during calving season 

Coordinating everyone's schedule so we can get everyone where they need to be

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I am with you on the different set of priorities. That happens here frequently. or maybe daily.

It must be our turn for the snow. It is the first big snowfall this winter. Looks like five inches and it is to continue all day. I am canceling appointments.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

What is that saying..   "Your lack of planning ahead does not constitute an emergency for me"   I feel that is my motto some days..    

We got about 4" of snow and that was more than I wanted.    Yesterday it was so bitter cold with the wind that it was almost not tolerable outside.   Today is not so bad as the wind has gone down, like calling 14 F a heat wave! Ha ha.

0 Kudos
Advisor

My biggest obstacle right now is "uncertainty". I am struggling with the random schedule of work, medical appointments and family visits.

I tend to function better when things are planned and stable. I like predictably and a schedule.

I am flexible and I'm comfortable with thinking on my feet and dealing with the unexpected but this " big picture uncertainty " has me in a funk.

It is what it is.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Flexibility: Today was supposed to be Winn's preschool two hours, my errand time. After daughter's work was done, our night and tomorrow in Va.

Friends happened to mention the winter storm advisory last night when we were over there for supper. We came home, teassessed the advisory, and decided Mike would go up to check the mules and horse had water in their fountains, plenty of hay...they have shelter to get under...and feed boilers. Four to eight inches forecast up there.

I gave him my couple of chores - care for the cat, grab a short list of groceries, get back ASAP...it has started several hours before forecast there. Daughter texted that Winn is getting sick, so I kept him home. He has had a vapor bath, his decongestant, two kinds of soup, two kinds of juice, ice cream, and is having a lovely nap now.

Daughter and SIL have got everything handled on this place, and are running some errands. It feels like it's going to start any minute here, and this will be a little snow, then stinking sleet and freezing rain. Son called to say he will keep fires going at Jenna's. I told all of them not to take any chances on the roads...their sister's wreck was three years ago this week.

Had to grab five minutes to email two check numbers to CPA. Kept cookstove fire going, threw on a big kettle of soup winn liked it, daughter and hired guy got a Mason wodemouth pint full each, to help them stay thawed out while unloading weaners and loading out feeders. Mike is back and making sure the cows are good with their fountains and plenty to eat now.

Trucks from PA are scheduled to load out midday tomorrow...but roads may prevent that. I expect to be keepng Winn here most of the week. Going to be a mess, but we are warm and have plenty to eat.
Trying my best to get out of my own way lately. Will be making headway in decluttering as much as possible, given present conditions.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos