cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Quiet morning...ramblings

Daughter hasn't showed up with Winn, as I am sure he is sleeping off their night of excitement at the local Watermelon Festival. Rides, games, booths, probably our closest summer approximation to your Midwest county fairs. Perfect way to celebrate cleaning up that big cutting of hay yesterday. Mike really threaded the needle eith that gamble.

I can use a while to collect myself today. The load From my glass shop that I took to Va yesterday was a humdinger! Feet hurt and kept waking me up last night, but at least it wasn't my knee, which is a vast improvement.

Rain on the radar this morning, moving our way. I think we have pretty high chances of precip eight of the ten days in the extended forecast. Not sure what's coming our way out of the tropics, but I saw a lot of red over the Atlantic, which is often not a good thing.

Hope to get a few seeds stuck in the ground this weekend, and I think a shipment of daylilies is on its way. That and irises are pending.

Helper got started on the doors next door to Jenna's yesterday. Red on the front one, for sure! I found a neat compass rose to hide a ding in the old siding over there...the tenant was wild when she started hanging holiday lighting!

I want things there set in place for guests on the 13th, so essentially have a dozen days to get everything done. Lots of small touches and a major cleanup of the kitchen and guest bath on tap, too. Of the two, cleaning fomes first.

Hit my weight goal for July. So far, I am tracking roughly 1.5 pounds a week off since March. Still a way to go, but it feels so good to be toting 27 fewer pounds around!

Looking forward to how we think we'll be eating from here on out, and " paleo" is a lot like Atkins, but includes roots and some limited fruits. I picked up one very nice paleo cookbook off amazon, and started reading the introductory chapters last night.

Just for fun, when you get a new cookbook, do you head right for the tecipes, or do you read the stuff up front first? I find I learn a lot about the techniques and stuff like siecial srasonings and such in them

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Quiet morning...ramblings

The weight loss is great 1.5 every week is not easy. That is a diet that I have not heard about. Humidity is returning to our area.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Paleo is where we are headed down the road, I think.  It is essentially a pre-agricultural eating plan...no grains, for starters.   Again, default gluten free.  Very anti-inflammatory. 

Limited fruits...we tend to only use a peach for dessert between us, for example.  Mike forages in the yard at Jenna's snitching all the berries as they ripen, snacking on  the cherry tomatoes. 

If you Google Paleo diet, you will see scads of hits.  I wanted a cookbook by a real chef, since they tend to give you the quickest prep meals, I think.  I hope we'll be eating roots regularly this fall and winter, as well as lots of kale and turmip greens, plus collards. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have checked out the diet as you suggested.  The difficult part will be giving up steel-cut oats for breakfast especialIy in the winter. I enjoy a nice breakfast. Are you following this to the letter? There seem to be different versions.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I have gotten only partway into my research on Paleo. It looks like a more liberal dietary approach than Atkins to me. Not a lot different than the later stages of Atkins. It will be a few more months before I really want to broaden my selections....
0 Kudos