cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

Raw meat to dogs?

Just gave a lady some of our old / freezer burnt meat to feed to her dogs.  She seems very intelligent about a balanced diet for her animals and even talked about the past pork tricomonosis(?)  She will now feed pork to her dogs.  Very interesting take.  She said alot of people are starting to feed raw meat to their dogs as they would eat in the wild.  I can remember feeding table scraps to our cats and dogs when I was growing up, but about the time you feed them a bone and it gets stuck in their throat, you sure think differantly.  With our kids out of the house 99% of the time and planning meals for men coming in late for meals, I kind of got burnt out on making steaks, roasts etc.  We used to eat alot of hamburger, but that has gone by the wayside too.  DH needs to watch his cholesteral intake and I guess beef isn't the thing for him to be eating much of.  Hate buying meat at the store though.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: Raw meat to dogs?

There is no doubt that dogs are being well fed and taken care of these days. DGS sells meat at the farmers market and his largest customer buys some of the best cuts for their dogs. They make their own dog food using the meat and vegetables. We had no trouble feeding the dogs and cats raw meat when DH was a meat cutter and could bring home some of the scraps from the saw.

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

I know quite a few people that do this due to allergies and what not that they are running into with their dogs.  We feed a chicken and rice formula too our two monsters and they seem to be doing very well on it.  I frankly would not have the time to do the meal prep for the dogs since I rarely find time to make a decent meal for Todd and I these days.  As for bones, the dogs will get a bone to chew on every once in awhile that hasn't been cooked down.  Raw bones do not break down or cause the choking hazards that cooked bones do.  It's a very rare occasion that mine get that...they prefer rawhide.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

You wouldn't believe the calls we get for grass-fed lamb for pets. Of course, they think it will be cheap to free, since it is for animals, but the animal, processing, and transportation are the same, whether they eat it or Fido does.

There is a lot of hype about pet food contents. Go to a big city pet store and read some of the bags and cans.

I think you mean " trichinosis", which is infestation with the trichina worm.. US pork has been trichina free for a long time now. It is killed by proper cooking to well done temp...the rationale for always cooking pork well done traditionally, even though it is not necessary today.

Pets in this country get fed and treated better than a lot of children, here and abroad.

I am sort of burned out with meals right now, too. I prepped peppers, onions and garlic this morning, for a curry tonight. mike had to prep the pork tenderloin, and cook in the electric pressure cooker. This house smells some kinda good right about now!!!
0 Kudos