cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Sad week...

...three guys in this county commiting suicide in just a day or two. Two in their fifties-sixties, retired law enforcement. Another in his forties, son of a couple somewhat older than me, from my home community.

I remember them all at the ages I last saw them...high school working ballgames as security, that last one as a precious little boy. Reading obits, looked like they had social outlets, shouldn't have been loners. Family, friends...how could so many be that sad?

The parents of the youngest one ended his death notice with a sentence that essentially said: In honor of his memory, reach out a hand to someone who is lost.

Guess that is all I have to say....
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Sad week...

Very sad!

Today's news told of the huge number of suicides since the hacking and publishing of the  "Ashley ?'  website names. That will destroy families.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Haven't really followed that story closely, but it has to cause serious shock waves, when thirty -eight million marital cheaters get outed all at once. The first time I read about that website, it was maybe 5-6 years ago. I remarked to Mike then that it was one hack away from being public information.

Guess it all goes back to there being no such thing as a secret, really.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

One thing I don't think gets a lot of attention, is the stress that Law officers are under. 

They are trying to protect the average citizen from people who may literally shoot them in the back of the head, while at the same time are under intense scrutiny every second of every day, just in case they would muss up some thug's hair.  Top it off with turning on the TV, and hearing crowds of people chanting 'Pigs in a blanket, fry them like bacon', and those who are already on the edge, whether due to stress of the job, or family problems, burnout, PTSD, some sort of hormonal or medical imbalance, and the fact that some people just can't take that sort of thing, even if they don't seem to have anything 'wrong' with them, and you have a situation where feelings of hopelessness are likely more common in that profession, than the general public.

My neighbor is a Vietnam Vet, and he said that the way they was treated by the general population pushed him closer to a mental breakdown than his tour of duty.   Seems that people who you are trying to protect, telling you that they wished you were dead, can have a profound effect when heard enough times.

Honored Advisor

i get the pressures you cite...but, these cops were both retired.  That is what made it seem so senseless.  

Work a whole lifetime of that kind of service, then blow it all away when you are safely out of it...I don't get that.  

0 Kudos