cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Sandbox on steroids

PaPa spent his day alone on Thursday to make great progress on Winn's swingset and sandbox. We put the climbing rocks up the backside of the tower yesterday, after the platform was as fall-proof as we could figure out how to make it. After one " show me" session, Winn started scrambling up and sliding down like a pro.

I guess one great thing about having a farmer in the family is that your sandbox sand arrives by the truckload, and your play space gets filled with a frontend loader. Mike had laid four 12-foot timbers down on ground cloth, and moved what looks like ten tons of sand into the spot. He had even angled off the edges of the wood by bevelling them with his circular saw, so there were no sharp edges to fall onto.

While in town on Thursday, I picked up a set of sandbox toys, and pulled them out when our little guy scurried onto the dunes. Except for a couple of short breaks for juice and a nutty bar, and two pitstops to "peepee on the tree" (yes, we are starting potty training in earnest now), that is where we spent our day.

I get really bummed with this farming thing sometimes, but after a few hours spent helping my sweet husband finish this play area in between his irrigation moves, I know why we chose this path. Nothing else would allow us this much time with a child we adore.

It took me back to our original decision for me to be a stay-at-home-Mom for our own three. It reminded me why we built the farming operation and then jumped off the cliff from his steady, well-benefitted job, into this big change 20 years ago, so Mike could be an at-home self-employed person, too.

My hair was full of sand by sundown, and Winn and I had a bit of pink on our cheeks. We negotiated that the garden hose is off-limits until it gets a bit warmer. Being barefoot and on sandbox supervision duty is just my speed!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: Sandbox on steroids

Oh I remember how much fun our kids had in the sand box. That is a large one. I still remember playing in the dirt and sometimes I added some water which was even better.  Just watch out for the cats using the sand. We got rid of ours when we discoved that danger.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

The cat that hangs around outside has a sandpile in the stockpile area across the driveway. I did grab a tarp that fits the frame on amazon. (Do you know how hard it is to find a 12x12 tarp?) that way, I can cover it, if we see any activity in the wrong spot.

Today, I anchored three resin raised beds I had on hand alongside one edge of the sandbox, so we can try a small garden together. I may be able to manage a veggie garden here, as long as it stays under fifty square feet. That is enough to get him to try things he grows.

Started to double-dig and amend the clayey soil with some sand I snitched from the sandbox. Most of one bed is done, I hope to finish the rest tomorrow. That was a late -day inspiration.

We had a nice trampoline with enclosure stored in a shed, so I chose to roll out plastic (fun in gusts up to 35 mph at least!) and got Mike to drop loads of sand on it, for a weedfree area underneath. It looks pretty nice put there now. We had to wgack back a few crepe myrtle branches that were intruding into the airspace.

All that 's left there is the hand-stitching of the netting to the spring anchors...about a fifty-foot long seam. I did a third of it, then realized I was off at the top on the support hoops. Pulled all that out, and just tacked down one area, to keep the wind from whipping it so badly.

As I was cleaning up from the day's work, I sat back and started looking at our work. It suddenly occurred to me that we can get a really cute A-frame play fort out of the end opposite the swings, using the slide's tower.

I mentioned it to Mike as he was coming in from shutting down the irrigation. He said he will be fine with that, as long as we do it in short work sessions. About all I can manage anymore, anyway!

Guess this is what happens when two old people decide to get a kid outdoors!
0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Sounds great, you have made lots of progress.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I was a total bum Friday, just hanging with Winn in the sand. We had to run to town, to fix the eyeglasses, or the sun might have gone down on us out there.

Tonight, my shoulders and face are pretty sun- and wind-burned. Mike reminds me that tomorrow is seed stick day at the bird park. Need to clean a bit before we head out there after lunch. Have to keep myself from stepping out the back door, or I will totally goget about the house!
0 Kudos