cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

School??

Saw yesterday that Lisa's boys staetted back to school. I think the public schools opened here in our county this week, and town schools open next week, too. In VA, schools by law wait until the Tuesday after Labor Day. When farms needed kids for tibacco labor, we never went back until that late, and absences to work the crop were deemed to be excused.

When does your school year commence? We took Winn for the preschool looky-look last night, and he loved it! The official orientation, which will be when all the kids come to see things, is next Thursday. He will start September 8th. Hard to believe this big journey is almost underway.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: School??

Schools here opened earlier this year, the first week of August. (some started the 4th and some the 7th) It appears they are easing toward year round schools.  It has been talked about for a few years. Among the concerns were 4-H programs and the state fair being affected by schools in session. The state fair is much earlier now and they added another week.  I understand the need for breaks and how much children forget during the summer but year round school will be a huge change.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Year-round schools as practiced here in Carolina, are a way of revolving different groups of kids through the same facilities and I guess with the same favulty, but the kids themselves actually get the usual number of instructional days, as I understand it. It is supposed to relieve overcrowding and forestall the need for more buildings to be built.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

School here starts Sept 2.  They went back to post Labor day start date a few years ago.

Was in Florida last week with my 2 girls setting up their classrooms for their start of the new year this week.  So hectic, so much confusion.  And so expensive for them.  The money they get from the district for classroom materials no way comes anywhere near meeting what they are expected to have in their rooms.  Of course this basically just affects elementary teachers with all the visual stuff they need in their rooms.

For me it was quite a difficult and almost disheartening trip.  My daughter's family with her ill husband is simply a mess.  He really is not getting any better and doesn't really try to help himself.  Financially they are strapped and he uses that as an excuse to not seek the treatment and counceling he needs, and yet behaviors stemming from his illness is a big part of why they have budget problems.

But the thing that broke my heart was what it is doing to their 7 year old dealing with a dysfunctional living situation.  He is a very unhappy very out of control child.  I put a lot of responsibility on my daughter's shoulder's though.  She does things to compensate for her unhappiness and disappointment and gives a lot of excuses for why things are the way they are.  And in some ways she is right.  She needs to function as if she is a single parent household.  But doing that causes problems with her husband and resentment he takes out on her.

Sometimes I think I should get with his relatives and do something like an intervention  Even if confronting him would cause him another psychotic episode.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Our district started today.   And they were probably the last one in the area to start.   Except for Galesburg that has been on strike for over a week now.     Our school district is a very rural district.    We have a lot of 4-H and FFA kids.    Showing at the State Fair was an excused absence from Football practice 10 years ago.    You  were just a couple days behind getting to wear pads.   But no penalty from the coach on playing time.   The only AC we have in our schools is in computer labs and offices.     In fact   they pretty much plan on the weather being hot and letting out an hour early everyday the first 2 weeks.    We are expected to hit the 90's starting tomorrow.   First time this summer!     I know there is a real desire by the state to go to year round school.    But,  until the broken state of Illinois is going to come up with the money for AC... it isn't going to happen in most  schools.    It is a requirement that all new construction has AC,  so the year round commitment could happen.  

Dairy Mom,   it has to be so hard to watch your daughter struggle.   I'd at least make certain his side of the family is aware of the problems.   What if they are not aware and only get his side?     If they choose to only believe his side that is their problem.   But,  what if they aren't aware  and could or would help your daughter and Grandson?     Do the in-laws live close?    To try and help out the teachers  at our local school district I made my anual donation.   5  backpacks  filled with various school supplies.   I say these are for the kids of parents that do not care.   Don't care enough to purchase any school supplies  and don't even care enough to sign up for the local free backpacks.    Some years  I fill them by grade (minus the kleenex boxes),  and some years just buy up lots of sale items and stuff them in the bags for teachers to deal with as they see the need.   I always buy the backpacks when they get  to 75- 80%  off.  not alot of choice  but adequate  and that way my money goes farther.   Just have to store them for 11 months!   

School is starting that means it is almost  FOOTBALL SEASON!!   Yea! 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Started today here & we are the last I believe.  Several were last week or Monday. 

Suey, you are so kind & thoughtful.  I should watch for those specials.  But our district is so picky it's ridiculous.  Only certain brands & sizes of crayons, a certain brand & specific size glue, and only Prang watercolors which are often short supply.  Parents will Facebook when they find them.  And certain ruling on paper.  One red, one green, etc folder.  Each class has their list.  I gave the food pantry a donation to help kids in need of supplies-figured they can take care of it easier.

My brother is in CA & they go year round.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

When kids went to school this morning DIL said have a good day.  The 12 year old & 9 year old groaned-wouldn't want to seem enthused.  The 6 year old pumped her fist up & said "Yes, I'm ready!!"  She LOVES school.  LOL.

Dairy mom, that must be so hard.  Wish I had some new advise.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Dairy mom, is there communicaton between DD and inlaws?  I understand it could be touchy but I would be very tempted to talk to them. We have talked to SIL's family and felt is helped in trying to understand what is going on in his house.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It is truly hard to know when talking to the extended family will help, and when it will hurt.  There are things I wish I had interfered with in Jenna's life, but I gave her credit for being an intelligent and hardworking adult, capable of making her own choices.   

It falls into the "shoulda, woulda, coulda" things we always see we might have done, in hindsight.  I dont' know if anything I might have done would have changed her outcome.  Then again, I don't know if any of us have that much influence or power over our grownup kids. 

As for the classroom expenses, that is a very individual thing.  I think a lot of teachers go way overboard, trying to one-up each other, for the cutest bulletin bords, the neatest ides for their students' rewards, etc.  I was there, and saw it and fell for it a lot myself.

There is a huge industry built around selling to educators, especially those in lower grades, I think.  Now, as an older - and hopefully wiser - person, I have a whole different set of criteria for what makes for a great teacher, and her tab at the school supply store isn't anywhere near the top of that list. 

Just a thought: If you have a stash of fabric in bright prints or colors, that makes a darling backing for boards.  I used a lot of colored burlap, and some seasonal prints.  It can be re-used many years over.  My big boards were sectioned in fabric width areas, surrounded by the paper borders to hide staples, with different parts for different things I needed to post. 

She may especially want her classroom to be nice and organized, due to the chaotic life in her home.  I think many people use the workplace to have a controlled environment when home is not very stable feeling. 

0 Kudos