cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Seed catalogs?!?!?

It's that time of year...taxes to do, and seed catalogs spring up in the mailbox daily. For ed myself to say the taxes are ready, except for my last review of them. I do know two things I want to set out a bit more clearly for the accounting staff...tonight or tomorrow.

Really hoping to start the new greenhouse in the morning, but we have to get back south early, so we shall see. I dount that will progress fast enough to start seedlings this spring. I plan to try seeding inside the wall o' waters. They act like mini-greenhouses, and are very easy to set up.

Just finished punching " Submit" on the Territorial Seed Company webpage. Of all the catalogs we get, that one seems to have the overall nicest explanations of culture for each vegetable. I like their heirloom offerings, and many of their seed are available organic, too. Picked some oddities - Glass Gem popcorn is just too pretty not to try it, and almos any purple vegetable catches my eye. Imagine a purple jalapeno!

Couldn't resist a DeWit dibbler. The DeWit hoes I bought last year were like nothing I had ever used before...and i grew up with a hoe in my hand every summer.

Anyone else getting into the gardening mood, or am two months ahead, here down South?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Advisor

Re: Seed catalogs?!?!?

We don't think of running the corn planters till the middle of April.   If conditions are looking okay we might start a few days earlier.  But,  there'd better not be any freezing in the forecast.     Oats would go in earlier... not sure how much  since we don't grow oats any more.    

There's about 6 - 9 inches of snow on the ground right now.   Not thinking spring yet. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Been busy delivering those catalogs of warmer weather during these patches of cold weather and snow. Have seen plenty come through the office and it's amazing how many of these are similar with similar varieties. Hope that your purchases prove to bear plenty of fruit or veggies in this case.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We have been seeing bluebirds for maybe a month now, robins the last couple of weeks. My crocus have been blooming ten days or so here in VA. Very early to me for all of thise signs. Got to check maplesfor buds,,,that is when the season is really turning, trees start to take up groundwater again, breaking dormancy.
It was 11 degrees in VA last night. Very cold for us. Fourteen in NC. Ditto.

It felt really good to order garden seeds, and my new tiny Mantis tiller arrived today. May break tat our tomortow, but it will probably be later this week.

i am hoping to get some bahia grass planted on my farm this spring, got to source that seed soon. . I'd love some matua, too. Best smelling stuff we ever cut....
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I was looking through my pile of seed catalogs. Territorial is one that I use. I bought a Mantis tiller years ago and really liked it once I got used to the difference. Then DH took over the tilling when he had more time.  Bluebirds and crocus blooming? We still have a little snow in shady places and frozen ground after a storm went through on Wed night.  It is too cold for those early robins here.

I do like to order my seeds early but we will be cutting back on the size of the gardens as we don't need so much.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I am glad to hear you liked the Mantis. Mike will till with the Woods behind the Kubota, bit it is 60" wide, and the tractor has to maneuver in such tight places. I will continue to use the big one for stuff like the pumpkin patch, but my hardens are small, and doing succession plantings, need spot tilling.

I tried several seed sices last year, and liked Territorial best...it is a really nice, informative catalog. Glad to know it isn' just my opinion.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I can only i agine how bust these keep the carriers! Iwas veryhpy with this company's seed ladt fall. Their catalog is just extremely educational.
0 Kudos