cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Single Serve Hot Beverage Maker

We would like to get DSIL a single serve hot beverage maker for Christmas.  He does not drink coffee but loves hot cocoa.  I was shocked that most all brands that use the K-cups are $100 or more!  The Keurig seems to be the most highly rated but it is really expensive.  And the K-cups are not cheap either.

I wonder if there is a good quality single serve hot water dispenser that he could use with single serve packets of cocoa that would work just as well as the fancy one with the K-cups?  Any suggestions?

Or does anyone have one of the K-cup models that they absolutely love that would convince me that it is worth the money?  Our friends had one and left it with us to make our own coffee at their camper last summer and I could not get it to work.  Their daughter just loved it, though.

I will get it if it is worth it but not if there is a substitute that will do the job as well.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Advisor

Re: Single Serve Hot Beverage Maker

Look at the different beverages he likes and prce them per serving. We like Nespresso by Nestle for our espresso every day, but they do not yet sell hot chocolate. - think the pods run 55 to 62 cents per cup, but you can only order them onlineAn so that requires planning ahead.
I have see tea and coffee pods fir Jeurig, but have yet to see chocolate. You might find a better price online than in a stire or might be able to use one of those super coupons for a good percentage off.
It seems that looking back, keurig cost more per cup than Nespresso, but Nespresso machines stsrt at 300 bucks and go way up from there.
If he is able to open a packet and stir his hot drink, a smalll electric kettle might be a lot cheaper and actually more versatile. I bought a very nice glass one but plastic ones are around for 20 dollars or so, which leaves room for a lot of packets and maybe a new mug, too.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

When we had a microwave, I would just nuke a single cup and then add the cocoa mix. You can even make your own, depending on how chocolately or creamy you want your drink.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I am baffled as to why the comment "if he is he able to open a packet and stir his hot drink"......

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I have a Keruig machine and I'm not a coffee drinker but for some reason mom got it for me last year.  I've used it more then I thought I would for hot chocolate.  I also like it for company that drinks coffee but I don't want to make a whole pot.  In fact the only time I use my coffee pot now is during hunting season.  The nice thing with the machine is I have it on a timer so that it turns on at 3:30 am and is ready to brew hot choc. for Todd before he leaves for work in the morning and for me when I get up as well.  I get the K cups through the local grocery stores or watch for sales.  For an item that I thought I wouldn't use hardly at all I've found that I use it probably 4-5 times a week just myself.  Of course I don't use it in the summer but come Oct. 1 it's plugged in and ready to use.

Also, there are a couple of deals that a person can get so that he can use regular coffee or hot choc. instead of buying the K cups also. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Black and Decker has a product called a Brew and Go.  Both my wife and I use them at work.  Great for a single cup of coffee, or to heat water for tea.  Nice to have the travel mug with it too.  Can find them for less than $20.  Here's a link to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-DCM18S-Personal-Coffeemaker/dp/B00005MF9C/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garde...

0 Kudos
Advisor

Sory to be unclear...I have been on the BlackBerry for several days and it's hard to szy precisely what I mean with teh tiny keyboard and screen.  What I think I meant when I wrote that was, "if he's willing to open a packet and stir his drink."  Some people are not. 

I first encountered the single-serving concept wiht a mailing on the Senseo system a couple of years or so ago.  We were drinking coffee brewed in a typical drip maker at the time, and I thought the thing was silly, and the relative cost for a cup of coffee was many times over a cup made in the pot at home. 

Each serving is very pricey when you buy it in this convenient  pod or capsule format in most cases.  Swiss Miss brand makes about a dozen different mixes for hot chocolate if you look at a Walmart, and I have not seen thjat kind of variety in a pod selection, either, which may or may not matter to him.

I can make a cup of Swiss Miss for under ten cents if I buy the bulk bax of sixty packets to tear open at Sam's.  Most pods or capsules run somewhere between fifty cents and a dollar per serving.  That was the main reason I mentioned the idea of using regular product and stirring, since I hate to give a gift thay creates an expense where there was not one before. 

All of that said, we prefer the Nespresso for expresso and lungo cups for our coffee consumption.  Mike gets his very strong version, and I get my milder one.  Either of us can switch to decaf with any cup.  It is worth fifty to sixty cents per cup to us to have that flexibility and get the caffeine in a smaller liquid volume. 

I can replace the boost I get from a diet soda with an espresso shot, which has no additives or sodium.  I never have spilled grounds to clean up and enjoy the convenience. 

If he wants a cup of hot drink that "brew and go" mentioned below sounds economical, but again, I am sure he'd have to open a packet and stir the mix.  Some guys would take the time to do that, and others would not. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

I looked into this on the link you provided and I think this might be just what I am looking for...

I could get the Brew and Go and a box or two of hot chocolate packets and have a decent gift without spending $100 plus him having the expense of the k-cups. 

I read the reviews on the Brew and Go and they are pretty good.  All in all I think this will work just fine.  Thanks for the good suggestion. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I am a huge coffee and tea drinker, and have thought about getting a Keurig, but I drink several cups a day, so the amount of trash I'd be generating would be pretty huge. About a year ago, I spent about $3 and bought myself a brass coffee filter for my pot, which means I don't have to use paper filters. I often think when we're in a hotel that it would be nice to have one of those little hotel coffee makers, which come with coffee in kind of a tea-bag-type filter.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I saw one of the single-serving makers on TV today, but missed the brand name.  It did everything...hot water for soup cups, had its own plastic pod for coffee ("Make your own blend!") 

It is funny in a way to watch consumer gadgets evolve.  The emphasis on single servings now is a sort of new approach.  I think the economy may be driving people to want DIY coffee, instead of Starbucks. 

Then again, I would have balked at a 55-cent cup of espresso at home before having $5 lattes out for a few years, I guess.  Now, the relatively costly single serving convenience looks like a more economic alternative. 

Small luxuries at home are one of the ways we still spoil ourselves.  Like I said, I thought the Senseo system was sort of silly when I first saw it a few years ago...now, I have two shots of Nespresso in the morning, and maybe a couple more around four in the afternoon, unless I opt for tea instead.  Love cocoa and spiced cider, but cannot tolerate the sugar in either one anymore. 

0 Kudos