cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Snowing again & ramblings

...off and on all day today.  Not much accumulation, but enough falling late enough to cancel my gym trip this afternoon. 

Came to the office and did a bit of annual bookwork that I needed off my checklist.  Have ogten a lot of the cleaning out here behind me now.  Still more, but my head needs to wrap around exactly what I want to end up with, so I just don't tote things back and forth, figuring out where they need to go. 

I promised Mike I would try to get the waste management records computerized this year.  The worst part of them requires us to track every ounce of wastewater.  Our operation generates about 3 million gallons in an average year, but it's very dilute in terms of N, so I am tracking nitrogen to one-thousandth of a pound per acre. 

The original hand-entry forms actually require this to be tracked twice, by source( in our case, which lagoon number) and by field number, on separate sheets, calculating it both ways.  It is like double overkill. 

The computerized version is a combination form, and being an Excel spreadsheet, it is self-calculating.  In other woreds, we can open the file for that field, enter the callibration rate for the gun and pump running there, how many minutes he ran that pass, and the program does all of the multiplication of gallons pumped, figures how many pounds of N were applied, and then subtracts them from the total allowed on that field.  This way, you know when you are runnign out of application rate left on a given field...which never happens here, becasue we have such large acreage for the amount of manure.

Those last three parts are te PITA of this whole job.  He will write down every irrigation event, in his field log book...gettign them onto the forms and multiplied out twice, then subtracted, is the part I need to figure out a way around.  Have grabbed the online forms database off of the DWQ website.  Will need ot set up a worksheet for each application field.  Have pulled out some of those littel colored adhesive flags, to mark the spot where I start on each one for this year.  He ha sto sit and show me where each field's current record stops. 

SO much fun.  I am telling myself that doing this now ought to buy us back the three to four days during the year that the recordkeeping usually takes.  Gang, it is worse than doing our tax prep.  If taxes turn out not too bad, we may dedicate a Surface tablet to the job, so he can learn to do it in his recliner every day or two.  Has to run full Excel...the iPad version is read-only...so, essentially worthless. 

What are any of you doing to streamline thigns for your operation this year?  This is my biggie. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Snowing again & ramblings

I'm afraid not much.    Tom has to go to his  CLM  Certified Livestock Managers  Workshop.   We call it Poop School.   We have low enough animals units that he only has to attend the class.   He does not have to pass the test.    Every 3 years. 

I'm picking up the bad news tomorrow afternoon.   Good thing the appliances are already paid for.   This is going to hurt.   But,  as we like to say,  "We are Blessed".    Also, no one ever went Bankrupt paying income taxes. 

Almost out of firewood.   Should make it through the cold  of this week at least.   Then back to LP.  

Dry wall is up in kitchen.   Now it needs to be finished.  I think I have a paint,  backsplash and counter tops picked out.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Timing is everything, in buying around tax time! What did you pick, colors and materials?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

We are still green,  yellow and brown people.   

Dark Brown Cabinets,  off white appliances,(except washer and dryer  only come in white and Silver),

Floor is a mulitcolor vinyl marble like combinations of golds and browns with a slight green.

Counter leaning towards a  goldish yellow  laminate.  Back splash a whitish with glittery in.

Walls will be a goldish tan.     Don't you just love my color descriptions. 

I plan on dark green highlights in curtains and JD  knickknacks.    Tom wants the Green Mixer in an appliance garage.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Suey,  Your color descriptions sound like the ones I'm getting from my son in trying to match his prom date's dress color.  I have NO idea..  I'm thinking white might work..  !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

We paid all the prepay we possibly could.  We have been prepaying with early discounts for decades.    We don't have much choice now.    You prepay  thinking surely  you'll have a year that we won't have to for Tax reasons.   When we owned pigs  if the pigs were bad the crops were good and when crops were bad pig  $$  were good.   We are on that Merry Go Round now.   It will kill us when we retire if we don't get that year when we don't have to prepay.   But,  I'd really have had to tighten the Grandma Budget.    Tom looks at all the equipement we've bought the past good years and refuse to buy or trade up just to avoid income taxes.  Wish I'd actually seen that fertilizer bill that Tom says he gave to me that we received with interest added on this month.     I'm sure we will be helping the US and Illinois budgets. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Mu aunt had a carpet/vinyl dealership for decades, started so teh looring wouldn't keep holdoing up their family's cabinet shop installations.  She taught me a lot about color and how to use it, especially on floors. 

Dark floors show every dust speck and every footprint.  Exceptions would be stuff like my faux slate high-end vinyl in the office.  I have been complemented by a high muckety-muck of the company we grow pigs for, as the "nicest slate job I have ever seen".  When I said it was vinyl, he didn't believe me, and dropped down to feel it. 

Pure any color ( even white) shows anything dropped on it like a sore thumb.  My office bath and kitchen have the coordinating "soapstone" to the "slate"...looks like natural streaking of pale grey and tan in mostly white 12-ich squares.  These floors I could have never afforded, unless she sold to me at cost.  They are such heavyweight vinyl, it couldn't even be shipped in 12-foot rolls. 

I could put virtually any color on either floor, and get away with it.

I have never regretted putting in better flooring than absolutely needed.  This stuff looks brand new, even with boots and over a decade of abuse and neglect.  I am cleaning it up now, and thinking how much I still like the choices I made then, and how it's not hurt. 

On the mixer...have you seen those sturdy lift shelves, that allow them to take a base cabinet, instead of the garage on the countertop?  If I had the space, I would have that installation. 

The colors sound retro...which is very "hot" now.  Colors go out of style and come back on fairy predictable cycles.  Look at cars.  Green, browns, golds are back.  In a few years, you won't be able to get any of them again for several years. 

My aunt taught me to buy a color you adore when you see it, because you will not see it once discontinued. for a long time!

Enjoy!  Hope you get that poly done today.  I am going to be in the truck,. ehading for the feed store, in an hour or so, I think.  Gotta text trainer, and see if she can bump my appointment time up today.  Up is usually easier than later.  He cannot leave until X time, but wants to be back before dark...so, of course, the live-haul is hours late today. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I had not noticed that gold, brown and greens were back. Interesting. I am sure it is not olive green?  I do hope pink and black do not reapear but like you said it all comes around again as does clothing  and hair styles.  With the tight jeans style now I wonder what will be next surely not bell bottoms?  I will be glad to see short hair again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Mike commented the other night while watching TV that Afro hairstyles appear to be back. Bellbottoms cannot be far behind....

Green/brown/gold..Just notice when you drive by a new car lot.
0 Kudos
Advisor

We decided against the kitchenaide mixer lifter shelf.    Maybe we are wrong... just looks like something that could breakdown.   And if that shelf breaks you will have a mess and then where to do put the mixer.   Of course  by then they might have tiny little welders that Tom can keep in the garage or basement.   So he can  weld any time he likes.