cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Sobering day

.Yesterday was a terrible day.  Had issues with mom's care (refuse to go there) and my car was acting up.  Anyway, it stalled & I had to be towed.  While waiting for the tow truck, a rescue unit went by with the lights on.  Found out a man/boy, not sure yet, had shot himself at a pond nearby where I was.  It was near the interstate and people were calling 911 to report he had a gun.  They didn't get there in time.

The town where this happened has a terrible record of young people, high school & a bit older, of suicide.  The school has brought in counselors, and advisers but it still keeps happening.  Don't know the statistics.  There is a group for suicide prevention and they have a huge bill board up for their walk which is in June.  Did this help or instigate?  Do these victims romanticize it?  And I fail to see what a "walk" will help with.  Very sad and certainly added to my stress to think about his family. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Sobering day

Maybe the only thing I can say is, the suicide issue puts all of the other problems into perspecitve, doesn't it? 

0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

Too many young people are gone before they really had a chance.    Once you've lost a family member to suicide it hits you.  Both Tom and I have lost someone fairly close to us.  Him an Uncle,  me a 1st cousin.     Those of us who have never experienced  depression can not imagine what is going through their minds.   It is a final solution but a kick in the gut to the family and friends  left behind.    The doubts of what did I miss,   how could I have not seen it,  and self guilt are terrible.     Quite often there seems to be about 3 suicides in an area before they stop.    Those contemplating seem to finally see how much it will hurt those left and either seek help or put it off till a later time when they can't think clearly again.        So sad. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Mike had two uncles on his father's side who commited suicide, and at least one aunt who had severe depression and had to be cared for in spells.  I think it is a lot genetic, the depression part of it.  I have always tried to be watchful for it in him, and deal with it a lot myself. 

There seem to be real rashes of suicides in young people in these times.  Remember first reading about it decades ago in Plano, TX.  I think they see the first one being mourned, and it triggers something.  We will probably never know exactly why anyone ends their own life. 

0 Kudos