cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lisa Prater
Senior Contributor

Socks - Cards - Explanation

Hello, ladies ... I've been MIA over the holidays and wanted to thank you all or the wonderful Christmas cards (and merryyon, I loved the socks and gloves ... I live in a house full of boys, so anytime I get anything even remotely girly I'm totally excited!). I also need to let soilbabe know that her socks will be in the mail this week. The cards will probably be Valentines!

Two weeks ago today, the Tuesday before Christmas, my sister-in-law, Gena, was involved in a horrible car accident and has been in the ICU in Omaha with brain damage ever since. She has Down Syndrome, which complicates things a bit. She had brain injuries and a broken arm. So we've spent the bulk of the past two weeks going back and forth to Omaha and trying to support his mom and keep tabs on what's going on with Gena.

We weren't sure she was going to live past the initial injuries, but she's tough. She's breathing on her own and is semi-conscious and able to follow simple commands, like squeezing a hand or following the doctor's finger with her eyes. She's still not as alert as we'd like and we're worried about how things will go.

So ... things have been CRAZY to say the least! My husband, bless his heart, is a good brother and a good son and is doing everything he can to take care of his mom and sister and still take care of us, but he's definitely feeling the pressure.

When we got home from Omaha after one of our visits, I hauled in an armful of mail from the mailbox and was so thrilled to see Christmas cards from so many of you, and of course my adorable striped socks! Thank you for understanding, and for bringing a little cheer my way!

~Lisa

0 Kudos
7 Replies
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Re: Socks - Cards - Explanation

Oh Lisa, how terrible!!  We certainly will be praying for Gena & also you & the family.  It's a stress on everyone in the family when something like this happens.  Keep us informed.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Advisor

Lisa, I am so sorry to hear that your family has had to deal with so much of an upset.  Good for her and your MIL to have such support. 

I would love to have Gena's address, so could maybe mail her a card...can you hit me with an e-mail for that if it's welcome? 

0 Kudos
lawinkle
Advisor

Lisa I am so sorry to hear about Gena.  I will keep her and you family in my prayers.  I am glad our cards brought you some cheer during such a stressful time.  Don't worry about my socks....the most important thing is for all of you to do what you have to do and stay safe and healthy until things settle down.  Hugs and prayers are coming your way.  SB

0 Kudos
suey1973
Senior Contributor

Lisa,  I too will add your SIL to my prayer list.  Having spent a little time in the intensive care unit at Peoria I know that they can preform miracles there.    Rather than to the hospital what if we send get well cards to you to take to your SIL?   We already have that address.

0 Kudos
chick06
Veteran Contributor

So sorry to hear about your sil. Your family will be in my prayers, please keep us posted.

0 Kudos
Sundae1964
Veteran Contributor

Lisa....sorry to hear about Gena...I will keep her and your family in my prayers!

S.

0 Kudos
Lisa Prater
Senior Contributor

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers! If you'd like to send a card, you can use my mailing address from the card list (message me if you need it), and I'll deliver them. She's going to be making the transition to skilled nursing at some point, but I'm not sure when that will be, so I'd hate for a card to be sent to the hospital and have her made the move already.

Today is Gena's birthday ... she's 51. She always got so excited about her big day, and would be reminding us of it well before Christmas. Jayson and I are going over this weekend and will have a little party in her room. She's having her arm operated on tomorrow morning.

Again, thank you so much for your care and concern ... I appreciate it so much! Also, I set up a Caring Bridge site with updates and photos if anyone's interested, and you can sign the guest book as well:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/genaprater

0 Kudos