cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Something silly

The other day, I decided on a whim to do one of those DNA- based ancestry kits. We have pretty long genealogies, because my mother went on a quest to find the family's roots when she retired from teaching.

I can get one family name back to London in 1615, another to Virginia in 1626, and Mike's lineage is documented about that deep, too. This is just an aspect that wasn't available back in the days we were digging through ancient courthouse records. I thought it might be fun.

Just got an email that my kit has been shipped. I have checked into one line of their ancestry website, and it is accurate to that known detail. I am sort of silly to be excited about this, I know, but who doesn't want to know where they came from?

Anyone else ever try one of these kits, or use an online ancestry service?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: Something silly

Let us know how that works out. I have been rereading a lot of the infomation that I have and did think that it would be interesting to learn more. What I would like to know is if there is an Indian connection as I suspect that there is one. I questioned my aunts but got a very firm no. I understand that is something that was talked about in the past.

In my recent reading I see that Indians were given American names at the time of the movement west and into CA. So looking back it would be hard to know the nationality. I was just teasing my DH last night when I started to read the Levi Coffman book again. There was mentioned a freed slave with the same name as his ancestors.  I told him how we know where he got his curly hair.

0 Kudos
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Also heard that some of the slave's last names were made up of the owner's first name and -son as if they were actually one of their "sons." In some cases they were. I've heard the same on one side of the family too, but it seems so taboo to talk about. DNA will speak though!

0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

That's something new on me.  Where do you get the DNA to test?  I don't think I could even put my hands on something that would give me DNA from my daughter much less my grandparents or great grandparents.  And further back would be impossible.  And approaching some stranger saying "hey can I test your DNA to see if we are related" would really be weird.  But maybe I really have a wrong idea of what you are talking about.

Supoosedly there is a family history on my dad's side that a great aunt of mine worked several years to put together.  I should try to get hold of it because I really know very little about those families.  My parents went to a family reunion in Texas and I didn't even know we had any relatives in Texas.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

As I understand these kits, they give you an idea of where your bloodlines originated. I expect to take a swab from inside the cheek....

My family tree supposedly comes from England, also the Scots- Irish are smattered in there. If i find this pricess at all interesting, I may try to get Mike to do one, too. His surname is supposedly Welsh, very far back.

There is a fascinating book, "The Seven Daughters of Eve". It deals with a special type of DNA analysis, mitichondrial DNA, which is only carried on by the females in a race. In people of European descent, there are supposedly only seven strains, of all the women who originated the race, still in existence today. This is done onlyby passing their DNA on to female offspring.

That is really amazing to me. I would love to know which of those seven family trees is mine. This test will not go that far, but it is a fun thing to find out, I think.

i think there are some characteristics that predominate in a race of people...the ones I think I drsend from are very territorial and fight like nobody's business. They can be quite melancholy, too.

If I am wrong, it will shock me.
0 Kudos