cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Sometimes I just wonder about people Venting

We've spent this week without really having our part time teenager  able to work.    He was hired to be helping Tom do work on the roof of a finishing bldg.    We're getting close to crunch time since  Football practice starts in 2 weeks.    On this past Sunday his FAMILY  participated in a boneheaded activity.  

They decided to hook two tractors up at the drawbars  and  PULL!     Now,  they were lucky.   The only thing that broke was a clevis and then the hitch pin flew and  grazed the neck and head of our helper.     His head hurts and his neck hurts.    Issues at the Emergency Room meant that  no stitches put in that were needed.       Now what really shocks me is that at least his mother was present during this   "braggin' rights  pull".   In fact I think she orginially thought it was fun.     I'll be honest  I was pissed  about this fun  and let her know it was a terrible idea.   In fact  I have never heard or seen  an outcome from such things  that don't end up with something broke and  $$$ involved.    

He keeps trying to come to work  but it is more like  Babysitting.   Yesterday he couldn't handle washing and waxing a tractor.    Yes,  it required a small step ladder  but.  the old lady with the bad kneee could do it.  In fact had to do it.     Right now he seems to be doing a job okay.  No ball of fire though.    This afternoon it will be my job to keep him working.      So far this  "fun"  has cost a family short on money:  a clevis,  trip to an emergency room ,    2 1/2 days of work for the Teenager   and  my respect.   No farmer would ever treat his  equipment like that.   And I can afford to fix or replace the tractor.    They can't afford it.   

I may have to call on my flying monkeys.    I needed to vent  and don't want to let the kid have it.   After all his parent was standing there.    He's lost   money,   and a whole  week of football camp and weightlifting.      Quite honestly the kid  NEEDS  football.   

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Sometimes I just wonder about people Venting

Wow, how stupid and dangerous. Sounds like it could be a no-win.  The kid needs guidance to be a good helper and the values taught from football but with parents like that what can you do except remind him of his responsiblity to you.  Boys brains do not mature until about 25.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Sent him home at noon.   Didn't eat a thing.   Said his teeth hurt.   2nd time we've heard this one.     This family has 7 kids.  One is adopted.   Actually they are good people.  but,  I think 7 kids are too many to take good care of.   Things fall through the cracks.   Kids are  18 - 6 years old.    Adopted kid was in foster care... really needs more supervision than parents of 7 can offer.      Short of going to their house and cleaning, washing,  cooking and cleaning/junking the outside  there isn't much we can do.     Mom has a job as a pharmacy tech and dad is a union construction man.   So they have good health insurance.  

We think the kid might have a fear of  denists,,,  we know he doesn't like needles,  part of the reason he didn't get the needed stitches. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

My thinking is that the kind of injury that comes from that kind of blow can take a while for all the pain and damage to materialize. I wouldn't count on his help anytime soon. He may get worse before he gets better.

Sounds like the kind of stunt you would see on " Jackass". Kids try anything these days. No one has a sense of personal responsibility anymore.

You guys might have to hire that roof out, if time is tight. Nobody ever screws up at a convenient time, do they?
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It says a lot about te sad state of fister care abpnd sdoption, that an already-overburdened family with six kids would be considered the right match for one more. I stood and had a bit of a come-to-Jesus talk with our hired man yesterday...speaking of overwhelmed by one's own reproductivity.

They afe mid -tewnties, with #5 on the way. Two pieces of intel had come to me this week. First, daughter said they wanted a cat, because of rodent problems in our housing for them. Second, Mike said all four boys, including two still in diapers, we in the middle of our county road one afternoon, with no adult in sight.

I know they are living like slobs, so asked him how long to have house ready for an exterminator's inspection. He asked me to give them a week. Called pest company for next Friday...I will not bait with four tiny kids and an infant die next month. Waiting for Bill the Bug Man to call back today.

Can't just let mice slide, and they would never tend a litterbox...they had asked daughter to get them a cat. Picture that with four boys under eight, and a house where the refrigerator quit a couple of weeks ago, because its coils were so cruddy. Cleaned off, it went back to work.

Told him about Mike seeing kids in the road...where many tractor trailers run to our farms and several company farms past us off the highway. Speed limit is 55, and stopping is not on
A dime.

I explained that I had several small children and one very difficult oregnancy, but that letting kids be in danger can be deemed neglect. She has to be outside if they are. If she is inside, they need to be inside with her.

Four stray dogs passed through this week, one a Pittbull. Coyote are always about. She has no job but minding these kids and keeping that house. It will be interesting to see if they comply or not.

We can only do what we can do for others. If their free will is a loose cannon, it is hard to dodge their stray rounds.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You should tell him that if he may not be able to play football because of the head injury. Too many concussions in the youth can cause very serious chronic conditions later in their lives. Look only at the documentary about the NFL and their brain injury problems. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

So  I e-mailed his Mom  and she started to get to the bottom of  "this".   Friday PM,  after rain,  he came and worked for 3 hours.   He even came and worked today,  Saturday.   The kid  likes to lie.  Told mom  we had nothing for him to do.    Never claimed he  couldn't or acted like he was hurting.     He got read the riot act at home.   

0 Kudos