cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Sometimes We Forget...

Tulips1.jpg

Tulips.jpg

Sometimes we as farmers get tunnel vision and forget about some of the other things around us that hold value.  With the crazy weather we have been experiencing in Central Kansas the entire month of April all I have been thinking or worrying about were my issues, or my crops.  This last go around with Mother Nature took its toll on my wife's flower beds.  She doesn't have the greenest thumb on the block so to speak, but she busts her rump on evenings and weekends to try and keep some color around our yard all summer long on top of her maintaining fulltime employment.  When I stepped out the back door this morning and noticed her tulips had been frosted off, I just almost melted.  I know they are only flowers, but she works as hard on aesthetic things as I do on my field crops, but 90% of the time her labor input gets very little gratitude.  Although she never complains and maintains a positive attitude, she doesn't deserve this.  I just might have to surprise her with an early Mother's Day gift and have all her flower beds redone professionally by one of our local nursery's.  Just a little token of my appreciation for all the things she does that get very little attention.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Sometimes We Forget...

what a sweet heart you are.

Although I might add a caveat.  Make sure she doesn't feel like you don't think she could handle it on her own. 

Yes it is a female thing, but sometimes doing something even as nice as you are thinking about can makes us feel like you don't think we are capable.

I'll also add I would love it to pieces if my husband did something like that for me.  I'm a terrible gardener.

I was heart broken last year when our lilac blooms were frosted off.  Only a couple of flowers came on.  I love to bring their gorgeous scent into the house.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You might want to talk that one over with her.  To me, doing the planning & planting is part of the process.  I don't know if I would get the satisfaction if it were done by a professional.  Planning of it & advising, yes.   A spring/fall

clean up help, DEFINITE YES.  A load of compost or mulch, YES.  I get a lot of pleasure gardening; it's my outlet.

But you are such a sweet guy to think of her like this.  She's a lucky woman.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Shaggy, it is sweet, but I think what we are trying to say is this: As much as your wife seems to be slaving over these beds, it can be as much about the PROCESS as it is about the PRODUCT.

Gardeners take great pride in even an imperfect landscape they did themselves. The work is therapeutic...a lot of my grieving when Jenna left us last year was done with a spade in hand, a sack of mulch dragged and spread, tons of boulders and gravel placed in walkways and borders.

As I dug in hundreds of bulbs last fall, I had no idea that I would be feeling much better by the time they bloomed this spring. It would have been easier and cheaper to hire it done...but,,that wasn't the point. This was something I needed to do, do release something that was stuck in my soul at that moment of my life.

Now, we have greatly simplified the landscaping here in Carolina. I am adding to Jenna's garden, but it is more relaxing now. I will ask for male help when I need it, but the physical weeding and planting, and the planning, as is mentioned above, is not something I want hired out.

Offer her some hired help, or give her a gift certificate to her favorite nursery, maybe a vase of tulips like the Mother Nature iced. Remember to compliment her efforts often. It does improve your life, too...and not just by how it looks.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Im not going to give you any advice.  im just going to say Bless you! for your thoughtfulness.  I think your comments are evn more precious than the landscape offer.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Shaggy, lwinkle's comment is right on point. The main thing most of us gardening types want, besides our own artistic expression and the excuse to get outdoors, is some appreciation.

I would bet stopping by the florist and sending her a pot of tulips at work, with a note saying something about how you appreciate the beauty she brings to your life, might go a long ways to lift her spirits over the frozen flowers outside her door. Couldn't hurt...could it?
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Thanks ladies, you bring up some points that I didn't think of. She did ask me last night if I would help her redo some of her garden spots and I said sure. Maybe it's something we can do on Sunday after church.

I will need to leave the actual planting to her though. Without GPS guidance on the little garden shovel or a monitor detailing my seeding rate, I would be completely lost. LOL

Thanks again ladies, I truly appreciate it.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Good man, Shaggy!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Very cool idea!!!  Congrats on you looking out for your wife's feelings.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos