cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Spice rack?

Three years ago, as we were planning the kitchen remodel here in NC, I ordered a couple of cubby wall hangers from Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn. Each one has 25 holes, so one went into the office for small things that normally disappear in deep drawers. The other is my spice rack.

I have two flat half-pint Mason jars in each hole, so the thing will hold fifty spices. After emptying small spice containers and taking a bit of the bigger containers we buy at Sam's, about 40 jars were filled and labelled this afternoon. I actually had four dozen jars, so one cubby is left over for Watkins' extracts. Printed label tapes for the fronts of the cubbies, and used Sharpie marker on the top of each jar.

I have never liked typical spice racks. If they come stocked, there are usually lots of spices we do not use, and lack several that we do. This way, it turned out pretty custom, and looks really original, too. The shelf is in a darker side of the room, so the spices won't get sunburned, and it's away from the stove, too.

Fixed jars for a handful of flavors called for in a couple of new cookbooks, too. Made a list for the store, and am looking forward to trying several new recipes.

Are your spices displayed where they remind you to use them, or tucked away and forgotten? As usual, unless I see it, I forget I have it. No excuses now!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Spice rack?

Sounds like a neat idea.  My spices are a mess on a lazy susan shelf.  Once or twice a year - or less, I reach behind there and retrieve all the ones that have fallen off.   Then I find I've got multiple opened containers of the same spices.    

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The giant clear plastic spice containers, like peppercorns for the grinder and the like from Sam's, are in the lazy Susan corner base cabinet. They don't so much get lost, but there are a lot of others we have picked up for new recipes. Some are now in both places, because I use smaller amounts in meals than Mike dies for his big chili pots. All pretty fresh at this point, so need to be available for using.

This morning's projects were optimistic. First I decided to clean the sauna as much as possible with Winn helping. We did pretty well, but I need maybe fifteen minutes to complete the cleanout, a few minutes more to vacuum and wipe it down. We got sidetracked when a couple of stones on the rock floormats mysteriously came loose, and had to be glued and weighted down.

Our second project was to straighten the utility closet off the kitchen, where my bucket sink, mops, vacuums, and various cleansers are kept. That had turned into a true scramble. I have two big, deep wooden shelves about eye level in there, and five small wire shelves in two columns down the walls, mops and stuff hung on a peg rack.

We took much out of it, so I could start settling things back in order. Lots of odd cleaning things, like disinfectant for the bathtub jets, the coffee machine descaler, Tarn-X, Brasso, stainless cleaner, ceramic stovetop cleaner, concentrates from Melaleuca and Gold Canyon. I lost count of the different categories...media screen cleaner, GoofOff, you name it!

We got them organized, with him standing on a little wooden stool, mostly making copious amounts of suds in the sink with the sprayer. After that, we got the label maker out, and punched in product names or general types of what had to go into the shelves, so I would know what was where. They are up to three deep, some used once or twice a year, so my memory needed help.

He had to push the " print" button, help compress the cutter button, then use his little scissors to separate them while I held the strips. Close calls on my thumbs a couple of times, but it all turned out okay.

Now, the box of ant baits, mouse traps, etc., has to relocate to the garage. Just need to make shelf space out there in a bit. If I get these three fixes finished...a few spices to buy and decant, the rest of the sauna done, and the pesticides safely stored...I think our closet-dressing room is next.

He fell asleep and then got picked up by his Mommy,so I am taking a bit of a break...much needed.

That is about all to do here in Carolina for the present, except move Mike's woodworking stuff , straighten up that and the exercise area in that old country store/gas station. In Va, I have one cinderblock building to clean out, which should really only take an afternoon, if I have some help. We took a stock trailer up on Friday, to move boxes back to my storage here.

Have started a pile to donate, sent two big bags out, have the third one started. I am not being as guilty of playing " What if I need it someday?" as usual. Only way I will ever really clean up....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

There is always work to be done..  sounds like you got a good bit of cleaning and organizing done.   

It was busy around here as well.   We had some much needed rain overnight..  but of course it came with a lot of thunder and lightening.    Our first fall calf was born sometime during the night but all was ok.   We each took different drives this morning to check on things and didn't see any damage.   Without the rain, I believe they would have started picking corn full ahead today.   

We did get a couple heifers clipped for state fair and got some things loaded on the trailer.   Had to run in to see about getting a new cell phone under warranty as DD's phone just quit.   She is hoping that the replacement phone gets here by the end of the week.   Actually doesn't bother me a bit as we activated an old GASP! flip phone for her.   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

A flip phone...sort of like the " cone of shame" from "UP"!

Glad the calf fared well. Mike says the last eight heifers we bought are starting to bag up pretty good, so hoping to see some babies any day.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Have you had any calves yet?    We should have most of ours in the next couple weeks.  I know there are at least a couple that will be later as they were bred by the clean up bull.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

No, not yet. Really excited to get started...back in cows for the first time in decades.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Despite the problems that you can have, its a little exciting everytime you check..  kinda like Christmas morning.   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

That's exactly how I used to feel about checking the farrowing house.
0 Kudos