cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Starting to really irritate me!

Just need to vent a minute here. As a cradle Catholic i am appalled and embarrassed about the behavior of some priests toward children and the cover up by some higher authorities.

But i am getting beyond my disappointment with the Church to a point of real irritation with people who use the scandals to disparage an entire population of 1.4 billion people. Ignorance and bigotry takes many forms and right now it is cool to be a Catholic basher.

These people should be careful for what they wish. The inward or outward destruction of the Church would have devastating effects on health care, education, and disaster response all over the world.

My vent was triggered by a question over on another board about a perceived snub of the Pope by some Cardinals. I believe there is no such thing as a dumb question and i fully appreciate the questioner seeking clarification. But the presumption in the question and some of the ignorant responses are uncalled for.

As a Catholic i was taught not to judge another's faith beliefs and to show respect for practices i dont understand or agreee with. We are taught humility.

Non Catholics who are enjoying our disgraceful period would do well to remember that "there but for the grace of God".

Just venting. Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Starting to really irritate me!

It is hard to know when to defend yourself and your faith, and when trying to do so is just getting into the mud, to wrestle with a pig. Doesn't accomplish much, and only amuses the pig, as one of my favorite counselors used to say.

The other thought I try to carry around is this:Consider the source. That one helps me a lot, when I look at criticism, and who is spouting it.

The church handled things badly in terms of child sexual abuse...and those few truly evil people made it easy to attack a whole lt of people with shared religious beliefs and labels. That is stereotyping, and flat out bigotry. I am sorry that it is getting to you. I think things will settle down significantly, once the excitement over the new Pope's election has calmed down a bit.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear these folks are still crawling out from the rocks. I am hopeful that our new pope will lead Catholics into the light although no earthly man is perfect. Perhaps they should read the parable on only those without sin should cast stones

0 Kudos
Advisor

I guess I need further clarification

Perhaps it wasn't me, but I asked such a question on another forum about a Facebook video clip. I said:

"Besides the language barrier (I barely speak English) I don't know Catholic Church protocol. But it appears to me several of these guys were making an obvious snub to the pope by not taking his outstretched hand.

It may be you "just don't shake hands" with the pope, but if I were a high church official and the interface between me and God wanted to shake my hand I wouldn't worry about protocol."

I apologize if I offended you, but I'm afraid I don't understand what you meant by "the presumption in the question"?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: I guess I need further clarification

I thought one was supposed to kiss his ring? I saw the same video captioned as a snub, I think. Didn't play it, so it had to have come from the caption or a comment.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Mike, I wasn't trying to be critical of you personally. Just the way your question was worded, ...."it appears to me....an obvious snub....." and ....."if i were a high church official.....i wouldn't worry about protocol... "

Why not just admit you don't know Church protocol (as you did) then simply ask for clarification without the judgement and presumption?

Since i know you to be a caring Christian i know you didnt intend to offend.

However there are many Catholic haters out there who have no problem looking for every possible flaw in the Church and delighting in adding to the Church's disgrace.

Believe me, we Catholics already know about the Church's failings and we are working hard to hold the hierarchy accountable.

Apology accepted.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I want to apologize if I made the wrong comment. I am reading positive things now about the changes. Any negative press against a Protestant denomination is taken as a slam against all Protestants by many.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The problem is really this: Remember the saying that one bad apple spoils the whole bunch? It is not so much that they all go rotten, but the perception is that they might be, may be, are, have to be, etc.

We had a similar PR problem as hog farmers here in NC...a minute handful of sub- par operators got bad press, and it is assumed we are all horrible environmental destroyers. I do not mean this is on a par with a huge and ancient religious group, but it is a parallel.

I do think the problems of coverup of child sexual abuse by the Church pushed it into the realm of perception of an Evil Empire...whoever made those decisions made things much, MUCH worse. Now, attitudes are negative at the outset, in the minds of many.

Once you lose the luster, you have to polish like all heck to first remove the tarnish. That is all work ahead of trying to bring back the shine. I think this is where that faith is now, and must accept that it is, and work hard to change jaded people' s hearts, not just their minds.
Senior Contributor

Couldn't agree more! 

Dim minds don't seem to realize, is it .1 of 1% have disgraced? terrible.

and shows that the church is imperfect.

2,, any sense iof human history      Pleazzzzzzzeeee,

the Catholic Church,,, has done huge good,, huge,,, in fact without it,

about none of us would be alive or have a modern world...

0 Kudos