cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

State Fair foods and anything else?

Since its state fair season..  what are your favorite state fair foods or other activity?    

I figure it's only one time a year so I usually partake in at least one fried goody.  Its wonderful going down but then later I always wish I hadn't!     I have one BBQ booth I hit for at least one meal and usually share a funnel cake with family.  I also love the corn on the cob.  

That said, I do pack a cooler with good food/snacks for us to eat.    We try to stay on a better for our stomach diet as much as possible but it is the state fair after all!   

The anything else..  I love to look at the exhibits .. of all kinds.   Hubby & Kids do things like zipline..   uh not me!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: State Fair foods and anything else?

We did the NC state fair a couple of times when we first settled her 20 years ago. Fair isn't the same bog deal for is as it seems to be for most of you.

The foods are always featured on the news reports on TV...we both say it would make us sick as a dog! We hardly even eat out anymore, and I only bring one type of fried chicken in, hardly do that anymore.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Didn't make State Fair this year.  At the county fair we ate at the 4-H stand a local group that does smoked chicken, ribs and brisket.  That was naughty enough with the potato salad added.  DH splurged on a elephant ear.  I try to stay away from deep fried.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We are usually there at least 4 days, depending on how the show schedule falls. One year I was down there 8 days...that's another story for another time. So there is plenty of time for temptation. We keep pepto bismol in the show box, suitcase, and pickups because we know someone will need it. It's a little bit of a big deal for us as we display breeding stock. DH always goes thru the farm equipment displays although they don't change much from year to year. We get to catch up with old friends.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Actually have never been to the state fair.  Our local county fair is enough for us I guess.  When the kids were showing we pretty much still ate at home although they were allowed to buy from the 4-H concession. Anyway that is where they were told to get something to eat.  What they ate out of our sight who knows.  We never camped and only occasionally would one of the kids stay overnight with some one that was.  But then we are only about 7 miles from the fair grounds, and milking and chores didn't stop for a week here on the farm.  The back and forth always made the week kind of hectic, but heck most of the times the kids were at the dairy barn to take care of their animals before the barn superentendants had rolled out of their campers to unlock the barns anyway.                               of course we all had to have the elephant ears and hubby loves the silly dipped ice cream cones.  The deep fried stuff was never really present there.  Maybe that stuff is mostly in the state fair circuit.

Down state before we moved up here the thing hubby couldn't walk away from the county fair without was the salt water taffy.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Awww man I LOVED the state fair.  I would spend 3 days a year up there with 4-H small projects (normally Shooting Sports/Wildlife Smiley Very Happy) and thought it was the coolest thing ever to be away on my own without my parents, just the other kids from my county.  This was the MN State Fair where you could buy anything and everything on a stick!  We all knew where the good stuff was though.  You had to get the cheese curds from the food building, the malts/shakes from the dairy expo building, Sweet Martha's cookies and then the all you can drink milk for $0.25 and of course french fries.  I never really tried any of the other foods those were my standards that I had to get at least 1 time in the 3 days we were there.  We stayed in the 4-H building and they gave us 3 meals a day so really going over board on food wasn't our deal.  We really spent most of our time down in the animal buildings with our buddies showing livestock playing cards and what not.  I still like to get back every once in awhile.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Lemonade Shake-ups,  

At our state Fair in my younger days it was:   milk shake from the Dairy Exposition,   Fudge under the grandstand,   a box of salt water taffy to take home,   an Elephant ear,  and so many porkchop,  porkburgers and steak sandwiches I could afford.   Realize I was there for 5 days.  

Now days  I'm a little more conservative.   I can make my own fudge,   Our local Prime Beef Festival is going on right now.   Use to work the pork producers tent  3 of 4 nights.    Now days  I want:  a cider slush,  and thin fried onion rings.    Tonight headed to my mom's  for  Burgoo.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Manureseller, you sound like me!  So excited!  Of course I didn't go this year to the Great Iowa State Fair though.  Love corn dogs, lemonade shake ups and the mini chocolate chip cookies. Once in a while we would get the strawberrie slushes.  We usually did the pork tent or the beef building for a meal.   The lines can be long though.  (Of course that is where the good food is!) Can't do the dairy parlor...don't do much ice cream/milk products.  Always go through to see the BIG stuff...bull, ram, boar.  Like the 4H building (I was a member, leader, parent).  daughter and son have both had a project at state fair in the past.  Always see people we know.  Its just amazing you can go 3 hours away from home to a place where there are people from all over the state and you always know somebody!  And sometimes you even meet people!  Oh, of course we always have to see what the butter lady made for the year too. One of the instructors here at the college took his grandsons to the rooster calling contest this year.  The older one has won it for several years in a row now and the younger one took 2nd or 3rd place this year....so fun!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Oh how I loved the State Fair here when I showed hogs, but so much has changed including location since then. That has led me going much further to the next state east for a great visitor experience. Always tried to see the "big" animals too there. Like you said, the longest food lines usually advertise the best food at the fair.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Well..  we made it thru the first weekend of the state fair.  Lots of tired people...      The weather was just perfect this year...  jackets or even a coat in the morning, shorts in the afternoon. The animals did not stress nor did the people - too much anyway.   Had a couple nice wins so all went well!  I didn't get to the funnel cake booth, but I did eat several other delights!!     

0 Kudos