cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: State Fair foods and anything else?

Your thoughts sure brought back a lot of memories for me. When I was a kid sometimes I was there three times each year but now it does not interest us as it once did. We always checked out the largest boar too and the butter art and always looked to see what the kids 4-H projects received. DH liked the parade on farmers day and the tractors. I usually went to the women's building too. Sometimes we worked at the pork stand and then the poulty stand. All good times.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

When I was a kid, seems we would go down for the whole week.  The 4H show was the first weekend,  open show mid week with other contests stuck in around that, and the FFA show the following weekend.   We also stayed on the fairgrounds in the 4H dormitory.  

0 Kudos
Advisor

We stayed in the dorms too.    Illinois.   Did they have a cafeteria too like Illinois use to?    We would complain... but sure made going to state fair alot  cheaper  even if  we did have to,   "Thank you Jesus for the Jello? "     Lots of memories of the state fair dorms.   Worse memories were being a chaperone  and not knowing where one girl was.     Figured she was with some boy... her brother lied when we called him and he said she was sleeping in the hotel with family that night.    I was REALLY tired that night.   Was already asleep when they woke me after midnight to say I had a girl missing.    Got to go back to bed around 2 AM.   Oh, to be young again.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Oh yes we had the cafeteria.   My dad would buy us tickets and we were expected to eat 3 meals a day there.  It was homestyle..   and big hearty hot meals..  My dad LOVED it.    The sleeping rooms of the dorms were not air conditioned and the bunks were 3 high..  not sure how many kids they could jam in there but it was a lot.  They locked the doors at 11 or 12?  and if you were not in, you didn't get in, or got in a LOT of trouble if you did.  I heard that they redid the dorms and they now have AC, not sure if they still serve a meal or not. I have toyed with making my kids stay there .. for the experience!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

On the old location they had dorms too. Not certain about the details since we lived close. Don't think the new location has any facilities for the kids to stay. Must think the parents have to come to chaperone and stay in hotels. It's a whole different game these days.

0 Kudos