cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Storms and silence?

Anyone else getting these thunderstorms? We weren't really expecting much yesterday, but got right at two inches, starting sbout ten last night. Power lost from ten p.m. until sometime before four a.m.

That was when I got up and flipped off reading lamps, closed a window, and started the washer. While nodding off in the outage hours, I found myself thinking that this was how my in-laws ended every day, before the REA.

So quiet, no distractions. Not a click or a hum, just the rain on the tin over our bed.

Yeah, we missed the second half of a show we were watching, but we sat and drank something fermented, laughed and talked. Funny how you can fill in the quiet with the sounds of your relationship.

Thinking how we ought to pretend the lights are out more often....
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Storms and silence?

No storms here but we did get 1.5 in of very badly need rain. I understand what you are saying about real quite time is is difficult to find anymore with all the things that produce noise.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We were getting those big rains and storms about every day until the middle of last week.  Sounds like we will get them again towards the end of the week.     Its amazing how quiet the house is when the electricity is out.   I think you get used to the low level noises like clocks, refridgerators, etc.   

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

No rain here-hot, humid & muggy.  South of us got the rain and a little further they lost a lot of electrical poles so they have no service for several days the way it looks.

0 Kudos
Advisor

We seem to be have the front right on top of us right now.    Luckily we missed the big rains.   About 10 miles south of us they got 4 - 6 inches in 3 hours.   That's where the poles are broken.    We are predicted  to get .5"  of rain per day for the next 5 days.   The grass is going to grow.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Mike pushed hard this week, to get about 25 acres of a light cutting of hay done here in Carolina.  He threaded a needle between forecasts of several days of storms like that, Suey. 

We got about three inches last week, and there are little gray clouds and lightning bolts on almost every day in the ten-day forecast on Weatherbug.   Makes haying very challenging. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I like the quiet.  I get it every morning when I'm up by myself and I haven't put my "ears" in yet.  Without them I don't hear all the "white noise" we take for granted.  Course I miss out on the birds singing also.

I think it is kind of sad that today with all the electronics we have, just quiet fill the time conversation is becoming a thing of the past.

0 Kudos