cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Stuck with Walmart/Sam's....

Since our local supermarket closed, there is a 22- mile one-way trip to get groceries. While there are several stores in town, most are cruddy, what I call carton stores, except the Food Lion and the Walmart Super-center.

It is evolving that the way we eat now, Food Lion doesn't cover all the bases. Bok choy is an almost-daily staple - only in stock at Walmart - and even the big bags of indoor cat food are only available in there. Trying to find a laundry marker for Winn's school clothes ( school rule) anywhere else was pointless, too.

Instead of sitting and being bummed that we were stuck in Carolina all weekend, as I did the other day, I decided to go grocery shopping, after a quick cardio workout at the gym, yesterday afternoon. Nothing fancy, but ended up dropping $173.

I had just spent $436 at Sam's on Friday. Frozen seafood, shrink wrapped ribs, our Atkins shakes and bars. Protein for weeks is expensive! I noticed that the Smithfield ribs are being packed in twos, instead of threes, now, I guess to keep customers from fainting at the price of them.

A lot of the second trip yesterday was a stock-up of Mike's Crystal Light tea flavors, that no one else carries, either, plus several sacks of the cat food, a big bucket of litter. Probably six months' worth of the tea, two months on the pet products. It is hard to avoid the Walmart empire, living where we do.

Mike just came through, asking me to order latex gloves for the farm...guess whose website they are on most cost-effectively, too? That makes over $750 to what amounts to one merchant, in less than 48 hours. All because of basically no other viable choices.

The fact is, even if we could find this stuff elsewhere, it would take hours of additional stops, and way more money. I have to stop making every stop ay Walmart into a guilt trip! Between them and amazon, we stay provisioned. Life is too short to spend it chasing down kitty kibble.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Stuck with Walmart/Sam's....

We are stuck in the same boat around here.   It's 30 minutes to the nearest Walmart.  There are a couple big chain grocery stores near Walmart, but by the time I go in and out and park and fight traffic between, I find it more time efficient to get all I need at the Walmart Superstore.    I don't make the trip often so have to buy in quantity when I go..   There is a small grocery story close where I can buy things like milk and bread in between my Walmart trips.  Grocery shopping is one of my least favorite activities.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

5 walmart/sams with in 7 miles of our house. Plus 2 targets and several reasors and a new Costco moving in next year. We go to aldi's quite often because it is smaller and handier. My legs are usually tired before I get into the walmart let alone to the milk supply. Wife 74 and not weaned yet.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

When people mention " milk and bread", it reminds me of how different our diet is from the mainstream. We are eating more meat and chicken, less to nearly no grains, only butter and heavy cream in dairy.

I hate to admit how much cabbage I bought last weekend. There is one-half head of red cabbage left, out of four heads -two green, two red - and it is only Wednesday. Mike and I just had separate snacks of two very different types of slaw, and there is unstuffed cabbage with spicy pork sausage in the crockpot for supper. Smells pretty good up in here!

There are limited groceries and convenience foods in Family Dollar stores in both directions, about six miles each way...nothing we would eat in either one. Over twenty miles in any direction to anywhere with produce, fresh meats, etc., and those are mostly Walmart Supercenters.

A lot of our " weird" foods that are nonperishable are delivered to us via amazon. Yesterday's order included a jar of ghee, some gluten -free tumeric/ coconut wraps, a case of organic pizza sauce, and some gluten -free paleo muffin mixes for a treat. I'd have to drive 1.5-2 hours for much of this, and still wouldn't find some of it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think there are two milkaholics that live in my house..   we go thru a gallon a day easily

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Same here too. Have to stay away from the fibrous stuff right now, so my meals are mostly meat, dairy and potatoes. Will be glad when I can return to better foods.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

As I have stated before I am not a Wal Mart fan and avoid it when possible but this is the result of big business driving out other stores. We can purchase some things at Dollar General and find them acceptable. There are good stores one hour away and another half an hour so I try to really stock up when shopping there.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I rarely go to Walmart.  Nearess one if 1./2 away.  I shop the local chain store (Family Fare) and we have a Sav-a Lot here in town.  Probably pay a little more but do save the time.  For everything else I really do try to find what we need here locally but am not always successful.

Kay on your gloves.  We use nitrile gloves in the parlor and there are any number of sites that are cheaper than Walmart.  We do get ours through our milk marketing cooperative but actually may change that because some of the dairy/vet sites are probably cheaper even with shipping.

0 Kudos