cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Summer recipes

We talked a while ago about the kinds of food we enjoy during hot weather. Let's share a favorite summertime recipe! I made this watermelon ice a while back and it is FANTASTIC! It's also a great way to use up melon that may be a little past its prime. If it's a little soft, it won't matter. You can also add berries or other kinds of melon. And if you are so inclined, a splash of vodka over a cup of shaved watermelon ice is a pretty darned good way to beat the heat at the end of the day!

watermelonice.jpg

Watermelon ice

Add 5 cups of seeded, diced watermelon into a blender. I bought seedless watermelon, and the little white seeds just disappeared in the blender, so don’t worry about taking them out! You could add other fruit if you’d like. 

In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup flavored gelatin powder. I used a melon-flavored gelatin, with hints of watermelon, cantaloupe and muskmelon. Pour 3/4 cup boiling water over the mixture and stir until dissolved.

Pour the mixture into the blender and blend until completely combined. It will be pretty much liquefied. Pour into a container that has a lid. I used a large plastic container, but a metal pie pan with a lid would work fine. Freeze overnight or until solid. Use a spoon to scrape across the surface, and serve the shavings in a bowl, or for even more fun, pick up some snow-cone cups!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Summer recipes

Come on, ladies! I know you have recipes to share!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I like the watermelon, but we really like the pickles made from the rind, and buy up watermelon more so just for that reason. A neighbor of some friends of ours gave me this recipe, and they taste similar to bread and butter pickles. They keep good for quite awhile, but they usually don't last that long.

watermelon pickles

2 quarts peeled and trimmed rind cut into pieces

2 cups vinegar

2 cups water

4 cups sugar

1 sliced lemon

1 stick Durkee's cinnamon

1 tsp. Durkee's whole cloves

1 tsp. Durkee's whole allspice

Soak the rind overnight in the 2 quarts of water with 1/2 cup of salt. Drain, and then wash in fresh water, and then drain again. Simmer in water until the rind is tender. Combine remaining ingredients, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add rind, and cook until clear. Place in jars, and cover with the syrup and seal at once. Yields 4 pints.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I don't really have a recipe, but last night I made Mike's favorite. Had some fresh cherries, pitted and chopped a couple of cups of them in the food processor. Had added sugar and cherry extract to a batch of homemade yogurt the day before, to let the flavors mingle and meld a bit. This batch was for fro- yo, so I has substituted a pint of cream for part of the milk.

After supper, I took put the big mixer and put the freezer core and dasher on it. Twenty minutes later, I added the chopped cherries and let it run another minute, so they were mixed in thoroughly. Soft serve cherry frozen yogurt in a waffle cone bowl was a delicious treat.

Mike asked if he could scrape the freezer core for seconds. We have three pint cups in the freezer for cones the rest of the week. Takes some advance planning, but worth it. He's made a request for some mango pineapple, since Sam's had fresh mangos this week. I have made peach for him, too.
If I cannot find an extract in the flavor I want, I add a small jar of preserves of that fruit or ice cream topping to the base and let it mingle overnight before converting to frozen dessert in the mixer's freezer core.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I don't know if this is really a summer recipe, but I like it. Haven't had for awhile, so bear my memory lapse. Mix half a pkg of strawberry jello with cottage cheese, and then a 8 oz tub of cool whip. Sure tastes good.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

At the funeral dinner a couple favorites that hit the spot were a spinach salad with strawberries & blueberries.  Like the fast food chains but had a homemade dressing I plan on getting the recipe for.

And another was an old recipe.  The small square rye or whole wheat bread with cream cheese spread on, topped with a cucumber slice & dill.  They were a cool light treat.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I love cucumber sandwiches! My mom and I like to eat them and had them for our royal wedding party, LOL. We get some yummy bread, or those round sandwich thins, and put cream cheese on both slices. I like the spinach & artichoke flavor. Then we piled on cucumbers, spinach, sliced radishes, and whatever else we had on hand. They are SO delicious and summery tasting.

0 Kudos