cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Supermoon Tonight

If you have a clear sky tonight take a moment to look skyward for the Supermoon.  It will be a full moon at the same time it is closest to the earth in many years.  I think the last time was 1993. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Supermoon Tonight

We had a beautiful view of it all the way home from a chili cookoff at the park.  Do I hear you howling?  

0 Kudos
Advisor

No, you probably heard me groaning!  I was just out there trying to photograph it for my class assignment and it was too obscured by moisture...looks more like a sunrise or sunset than a moon! 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Moon shots seem to need a foreground to give them interest to me.  We learned years ago, at the Science Museum of Virginia, that the moon seems to get smaller as it rises in the sky.  In fact, it really leaves the things on the horizon or in the foregroud that place it in perspective, so make it have "scale."  It's a neat optical illusion in a way. 

As for the assignment, you captured what it was where you were...which is the essence of photography. 

I have a friend who posts gorgeous moon pix on FB very often.  I haven't looked to see if she caught the supermoon yet.  Thanks for reminding me! 

0 Kudos