cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Tech support and no success

Jump to solution

Was resting in the house yesterday afternoon for a while, after getting up early, training in TKD, and having a bit of lunch.  Mike and our youngest daughter had eaten, and then gone out for a ride on the bikes, getting their nerve up to take a real riding vacation in a couple of weeks....

I booked a cabin in the VA mountains for a few days last fall,. and then LG went critical and we had to postpone the reservation.  In the meantime, the plan for nursing school ensued, and I am thus unavailable to make the trip; so, the two of them cooked up a mountain riding plan, based out of a c. 1933 cabin in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah Valley.  We ordered some gazetteers for VA and WV off of amazon last night, and they were scouting out wineries and orchards, among other points of interest on her laptop. 

My afternoon kind fo went to pot when the phone rang, with the Super Geek of the publishing company for that problem interactive software that has been causing me a headache since last Sunday night.  With my permission and keyboard responses, he took remote control of my laptop, and we worked for what seemed like forever on different debuggers, firewall disabling, etc. 

Four hours later, we had changed things - I cannot even get the page to pop up anymore, instead of it simply not loading once it does.  Meanwhile, I now have about twelve hours of troubleshooting into the thing, and my homework assignemtn is still not done.  I had planned to read and abstract my article for the teaching plan I have to develop for one of the website's characters.  

Got up this morning, and read about vaccines, thimerosal (a mercury-containing vaccine preservative) and autism, and the body of worldwide evicene tha there is no link among the elements, as has been widely rumored.  Now, I have to sit down and figure out how to get the message of importance of immunizations across to the 17-year-old single mother of a one-month old child, who is my hypothetical client. 

She lives with her drug-abusing 23-year-old boyfriend - who is not the baby's father - and although she and her mother do not get along, Grandma keeps the child so she can work and go to school (thought of you, soilbabe!)  Not much prenatal care, but the baby was born okay, so we need to concentrate on getting him in for regular well baby visits and his immunizations. 

I keep thinking how much easier this whole workload of assignments - which were dropped in on top of our regular, lengthy readings - would have been, if I had been able to just spend about twelve less hours with tech support, driving everywhere to test out the problem on different servers and different computers, enlarging tiny, read-only e-mails so I can try to read them, etc. 

I told my friend who sent those to me that I almost feel as though someone is testing my problem-solving skills.  So help me, if I found out that was the case, I think I would have to muster every shred of my self-control to keep from blowing my stack. 

Am catching alarm calls from the farm on Mike's weekly test run right now.  Hope to have a few minutes to get in a quick bubble bath, when the last one is done.  I have a date with my tech buddy again at eleven today. I plan to pack a lunch....

Please wish me luck on solving this puzzle.  When the screen timer on our shared session turned past three hours yesterday, I joked about how long it was taking, and the tech said, "Oh, sometimes this can go on for weeks." 

So much for the wonders of technology....

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Tech support and no success

Jump to solution

"We purchased an access code for the online downloads at the college bookstore,"

You sound like a lady who knows how to handle any problem that comes your way.  I admire your perserverance with this issue. 

However....If I was you I would uninstall that software, pack up whatever it came in, take my receipt and march into the student bookstore demand a replacement code and the refund to pay for it.

I would not take no for an answer and would go as high up the ladder as you have to to get them to refund my money so I could buy a new access code.

What you have been through is ridiculous....and the amount you stand to lose is more than the cost of the software....get too far behind and you could lose the course or the sememster. 

If the bookstore manager will not help then I would go to the chair of the nursing department.  No student should have to go through this and get behind due to the teacher choosing a software program that is obviously faulty. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

I had thought to buy another access code, but have decided not to waste yet another $53.  I am sur ehet bookstonre will nto take back an oipened pakage...if even the shrink wrap is off of a book, they refuse to return it, and the first week is the only return period anyway.  Tomorrow starts Week 3. 

It worked at one spot for a few minutes, so that is not really the issue, it seems.  The program is supposed to support satellite connections to the Internet, but it's been screwed up on my Hughesnet for eight days now.  The neighbor tried it on his Wild Blue tonight, and it stopped even sooner...so???? 

I then called daughter in VA, and asked her to try her Mac on the Verizon Broadband she uses for all of her online access.  It stuck at the loading screen again. 

In the morning, when I get home from LG's vet monthly vet check, I plan to call and rule out the DSL possibilities for our phone line...which I just did six months ago, but I want to say I have covered every base when I sit withth efaculty on this one.   If I can get DSL, that is only an extra $60 a month for their higher downloads, but I am pretty sure we cannot get it, even though the website will let me place an order for anything.  If that would work, I could  bundle and get savings overall on phone and Internet services, and can Hughesnet once and for all - a dream of mine, for sure.  . 

After that, I plan to look into a Verizon broadband service, at their store near campus, which shows our place smack on their 3G territory on the coverage map...but I do not believe it.  Will ask them to try the card in my laptop to see if it works at all there. 

I do plan to make the faculty further aware, since I e-mailed one of them twice late last week, and the techs are supposed to be letting them know about my stay in the hinterlands of technology, too.  I want to go into lab tomorrow, to practice some of my skills anyway, and may ask for a chance to try a login in the nursing school computer lab. 

Mike has suggested one other obvious troubleshooting step, but I can't really engage in it until I consutl a faculty advisor.  He suggests, and it makes sense; but, I have not asked my friend in the class to try my login on his connection for two reasons:  First, we are forbidden to share codes, for obvious reasons: and, second, if my code messes up his connection, then I harm him in the course, too. 

I have personally documented at least five different ways that the program will NOT connect.  I am actually hoping that at least a few other students will turn up with problems on Tuesday.  That would make it a "more than Kay's problem" thing, which is always helpful.  I suspect that I am in this boat alone, though. 

Hmmm, wonder if I can log in through my BBerry. 

There is also a thought in my mind that somehow, the registration process got corrupted, and my code is being rejected.  I even thought about calling in the TV station out of Raleigh for a consumer intervention. 

Thanks for the input.  I wrote a lesson plan, but feel very shaky about basing it on less than five minutes of available research into the characters and stories. 

Just got over the tooth pain last weekend when this started.  Tonight, I had another weird and very disruptive health issue crop up suddenly and in a sort of scary way...I think this stressful week, on top of feeling so bad last week, has not  helped at all.  

The nursing  school lectures and labs are not at all stressful...but this stinking computer issue is making me very depressed, on top of everything else. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

If you can get others that have had the same problems, kudos. Good luck figuring it out. Did the BB work?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

No ap for it, and the screen is way too small...this is a pretty intricate interactive site.  My instructor e-mailed me and I got it on the BBerry while at the vet with LG this morning...she said I had gone above and beyond on troubleshooting. 

In an hour or so, i started gettign e-mails on it from the rep that sold the program to the school, and she was nice, but basically wanted to say I was not logging in correctly.  Duh! I AM SO DUMB!

Set that straight pretty quickly, from the BBerry.  After TKD, another senior tech had left his number on the BBerry, and I called him on the way home.  He wanted system specs on my computers, which I gave him when I got here, and srnt him some  screen shots so he can prove I am passign system tests for Flash player and such. 

When I read him the first two specs off of my desktop, he told me not to go any further, since it was way more machine than I needed...which is what I had told him from on the road.  Learned today we are supposed to be in prime 3G territory for Verison's "MiFi: mobile hotspot server. 

Saw a guy using one with his iPad at Starbucks while having a cup fo tea before TKD, and stepped across the parking lot to the phone store to pick one up.  Net cost $50 and a monthly data plan...worth it if it works well enough.  

Also, got my phones updated byu the rep, to use the Alltel towers, in addition to the Verizon ones, since they have merged.  Ought to improve my cell service. 

I can use this MiFi device with my Kindle when it comes, too...COVER CAME TODAY, Soilbabe!  I am waiting for my e-mail about the device itself. 

My instructor todl me in e-mail today tha tshe did nto realize we were still using the "old" version of the program tha is troubling me...she seemed kind of peeved maybe about that .  Says we are being switched over ot the newer one. 

I am wondering it the old one is just too stodgy for my equipment.  Another possibility is that the upload speeds I get on hughesnet, but I think the fact it's messed up pretty much everywhere makes that a non-issue.  May weed that issue out with the new gadget anyway. 

Class meets tomorrow and I will find out if anyone else is having real issues.  Quite honestly, as I said above, I hope so...then it is a group problem instead of an individual one.  I got my assignment done and the instructor was very reassuring about it, even if I didn't, since I had prepared her for that possibility last week in emails.

I just wish I'd had this time to work on my butterfly panel of glass.  It could be done by now.  Kind fo got to a point with this issue today that it is THEIR problem to solve.  I told them I'd be available Wednesday after class for a couple  of hours to allow remote access, but not until then.  I wil post back and let you  know wheni find out if anyone else has issues, too. 

Right now, i plan to boot up this new teensy-weensy server.  Keep you rfingers crossed that it works!

0 Kudos