cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Things you never want to see/think

Many of these people that were lost in Katrina didn't have cars. They relied on public transportation. Rules prohibiting pets on buses left many that thought of them as family with no choice but to stay behind too. Problems in the past with looting left many deciding to stay to protect their property.The help, regulations, and lack of past help from the government created this massive public relations mess for this country. Why do we think we should judge the victims when others made the decisions not to upgrade the levees, pumping stations, and evacuation plans?

Some employers game the system by paying minimum wages and no benefits. How do people pay for medical expenses? Government help and charity. How do people pay for extra heat in the winter or summer fans? Government help and charity. How do people get food when their own wages are deflating? Government help and charity. Whether we really want to acknowledge it or not, more than the bottom 10% are relying on the government and charity to boost their bottom line.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That is my point about the pan handlers, too many Americans expect ' the free lunch'.  Those people gave money to these kids because they wanted to help them. Maybe it is a guilt thing, makes them feel better about their positions.

I see no end to this as millions are now conditioned to the free hand-outs and have no desire to work for a living.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes, millions are now conditioned to free handouts, including businesses using them as a way to keep wages low. Forty thousand dollars is what I hear is necessary for a family of four's living (food, shelter, auto, clothes, health insurance). Divide 2080 (40 hour week multiplied by 52 weeks) into that number. What do you get? $19.23 an hour. What percentage of the job force is that high? How many hours does a family have to work to pay for essentials? Remember day care and taxes usually eat up the second job's wages.

Guilt is a powerful emotion. With the wide disparity of wealth in this nation, I don't see much changing. It would have been interesting to see what the income of the givers were. Hear of too many Scrooges in this nation.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

personally I think Stossel is a jerk and take everything he has to say with a grain of sand.

But the panhandlers make me think of the 60's and all the hippies and Jesus freaks begging on the city corners.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I have gotten very jaded, I am sure.  I have so little respect for so many of our institutions now...banks and insurance companies for two prime examples. 

Mike and I sat with some really interesting guys at dinner last night...one a rigger (the guys who string up cranes to move incredibly heavy objects) and the other a brewer for a huge national beer company.  Also with us was a young lady who's a practicing psychotherapist...I realy liked her.  We had a very common assessment of the malaise of the nation right now. 

The guy who works for the brewery told us about a lot of really inventive "green" things his corporate bosses have on the drawing table, but summed it up by saying, "It's all about the money." In other words, it will get done if it makes a positive impact on the bottom line.

This is what we've seen for too long, I guess...that reasonable profit alone is not sufficient, maximum profit is required.  There's no room for real altrusim, when you just do the "right thing" simply because it's RIGHT.  That fosters shortsighted planning and execution...which is what got us all into this mess. 

Pity is the worst motive...and, I think, it's the one that stimulates the most hatred for the benefactor.  

0 Kudos