cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

This week hasn't been good.

This week has been kind of hard on my family.  My dad's best friend passed away 7 years to the day after my dad passed.  Isn't that ironic....  A couple ladies that had an impact on my families passed away as well.  My brother fell off his pick up trying to unload his four wheeler and broke his hip.  He farms in Texas.  Guess he has been out to the shop the last couple days.  had it pinned.  Found out a cousin isn't responding well to treatment for lymphoma.  Strange that his mom (my aunt) fought it for years - (she has passed away).  Tha  cousin's brother -in-law (my girl cousin;s husband) had fought it to in the last couple years,but he is in remission right now.  All in the same family.  Makes you wonder.  My (step)-sister-in-law on my  husbands side) had her shoulder replaced yesterday.  I had hip pain on Sunday night and shoulder pain today....hmmm...sympathy pains????   Not looking for sympathy from you all, just needed to get it off my chest and since ya'll are my sounding board I guess I vented. Thanks for listening.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: This week hasn't been good.

What a list! Hard to imagine knowing half that many close friends and family going through so much at one time. It wouldn't be strange to feel some sympathetic twinges in your own body.

Hope the three with injury, illness and surgery fare well with healing. Take care...a friend in the Midwest told me she slipped on ice on her deck this mornng, and took a fall. Changing weather is more of a challenge as we get grayer.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Ruby what a list!  This all must be pretty depressing and I think these early dark nights are bad that way.  Guess we all need to say a prayer for you & your family then a gratitude for our blessings.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

What a time your family is having, prayers to you all....Can only get better!!

Hang in there, hugs

S.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That is a flood of depressing news! Add in the time change and the darker days...bummer. Of course we are affected by the troubles of family and friends. Sending my prayers.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The fall time change doesn't bug me as badly as the spring one...how about you? I am ready to be indoors and don't care that it is dark out by suppertime, by early November.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It usually days me a least two weeks to adjust to waking up on the new time..

0 Kudos
Advisor

First I will keep your family and friends in prayer.  That sure is a long list of depressing situations.

Like others have mentioned I dislike the fall time change too.  Teaching until 6 pm two nights a week has me driving home in the dark and eating late.  Its a bit easier to get up in the morning with the earlier daylight.  

My office calendar is three months at a glance.  With October gone I just put up January!  I can't believe it.

The way that time passes so quickly tends to make me depressed.  Life feels like it is slipping away, sometimes.  I have to fight hard to not get caught up in that and just live in the moment and count my blessings.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear about the illnesses and accidents happening within your family. Seems like they have occurred in multiples. Prayers going in your direction. Maybe the bad reactions have some connection to the reduced sunlight too.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

LA, the presence in the moment is something I truly encourage you to work on. I was so forward-focused when our children were young, I rushed through too much.

Now, with Winn, I find myself consciously saying, "Stay in this moment." We can be sitting on the ground by a stump, smacking pecans together with his tiny " hamma", and it is such a real experience, as important as anything I have ever done or will do.

I think learning mindfulness meditation techniques last winter has really helped me with this outlook. A meditation does not have to be only seated with crossed legs on a gomden, inhaling incense. It can be done in so many contexts.

Has the " new year" thing hit me last week, too. Appointments are falling into 2014, so I had to grab a couple of calendars. Yes, it flies by....
0 Kudos