cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jenni_Lynn
Senior Reader

Timber Frame Homes

Does anyone know anything about timber frame homes?  Lately I’ve been doing a little dreaming and I’m really intrigued with them.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Timber Frame Homes

Dreaming about timber framing is about all most people can do. 

It is very expensive consturction,mostly because it has to be done by real craftsmen.  I have a connection, in my historic preservation trades program, who has been a timber framer for about 20 years, and he's had to leave the trade, due to the economy.  Even before that, he was doing mostly what he calls "trimber frame" (appearance of timber-framed entrances and such)  jobs for quite a while.  Most of the log home companies in our part of NC have gone bust in the past year or two, too. 

There are schools that teach timber framing, but it is not a skill  for the novice.  You also need to engage the environmental questions of HVAC and such, since vaulted ceilings present some unique heating and cooling concerns.  A lot of the appearance of timber framing can be bought for less with standard construction of cathedral ceilings and cosmetic  finishes like wood panelling and beams or false beams. 

I agree that timber framing is gorgeous work...just get ready for sticker shock if you decide you have to have it or else.  There are lots of websites that address the technique, and plenty of books on amazon on the subject.  I think I'd rather find an old timber-framed barn and convert it to residential use, than try to build one from scratch. 

0 Kudos
Jenni_Lynn
Senior Reader

Re: Timber Frame Homes

"It is very expensive construction, mostly because it has to be done by real craftsmen". 

I thought this might be the case.  I just want something that's fairly easy to maintain, with open flexible spaces.  I'll just keep on looking and dreaming  : ) 

0 Kudos