cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Time change troubles...

...are harder the older we get, I think. "Losing" that hour of sleep for Sunday, coupled with all the yardwork I did on Saturday, meant I was practically falling asleep in my supper plate last night. Consequently, I awoke at roughly 4:30 ( which my body thinks is still 3:30) this morning.

Knee hurts just enough from the slips I took in the mud, to make me not quite able to nod back off. Monday is Winn's preschool/ play at Chick-fil-A day, so we will be out until mid-afternoon. Just hope we get that good, long nap we'll both need when we get back.

Mike's Daddy used to complain about " fast time" from spring until fall, and he was not a complainer. It just threw him off.

Not looking firward to grumpy people around here for the next couple of weeks, while everyone adjusts, either. Ever since FIL passed in 1995, Mike has taken up his mantra...hates DST, he is all off. Hoping for nice weather, and have had two lovely days straight, so at least he is happy about that!

How do you and your family handle the time change? If they do okay, can we swap until April?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Advisor

Re: Time change troubles...

I like "daylight savings time". My problem is that i don't like the switch back to "regular time". My dog and i went for a walk at about 7 last evening and a day earlier would have been close to sunset. I really love the long june twilight hours when it is kinda of light a long while after 9pm. Conversely, the december days that it is pretty well dark by 4:30(pm) are depressing. I think you were talking about adjusting to the change, so not the same topic. I just feel energized by daylight savings time. Have a good day.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I really hate DST!!.  My body takes about ten days to adjust both changes. I have heard many people blame the farmers for the time changes and I tell them it is the golfers who want to stay on the course later. I just read that same comment from a golfer telling how he really enjoyed the later hours on the course. In Indiana we are mostly on Eastern time which is claimed to be best for business on the east coast. There is a group that has been trying to get that changed for a few years with no success yet. There are many sad stories of children waiting on the bus in the snow and dark being hit and killed. Others driving on dark icy roads killed. One of the saddest is tne young boy killed and found in a snow drift had just moved to one of our large cities from another country. The early time also causes many two hour delays due to fog and snow and ice. These and snow days have to be made up if they exceed the built in days causing more problems.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I love late twilight, too. It was great for the kids being outdoors until right up to baths and bedtime.

On the subject of complaining about the change, we had to laugh this morning. Winn, who has gotten into a great routine and loves his Monday preschool, told his Mama that it was " too early...it's still dark outside" when she got him up today. I have been bumbling around since 4:30, so maybe we will both get that nap, given that he was sort of sluggish, too.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Busstop safety is a real concern. Not just due to weather and time change...people just run them routinely now. WRAL did a big story on this last year.

Am really feeling the early hour I awoke, because of nodding off in my chair from the effects of the weekend. Still a glary, gray day here...rain coming by tomorrow. At least we had the last two days to enjoy some sunbeams!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I don't like the change either. Was just getting used to waking up to the sunrise and now it's back to relying on the alarm clock again. It doesn't make too difference what time it is; people just want to drive fast to get to their next appointment. Doesn't make any difference how many lights are on the vehicles because the drivers usually have a cellphone in ear and reading the laptop while driving. I know it would be expensive, but getting those drivers off the road and onto mass transit would make the roads much safer for the rest of us.