cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

lettuce

I have bought untold numbers of heads of lettuce and let them rot in the frig until they are slimy green balls. It always seems like such a good idea at the time. Diet food. But, it just never seems to work out that way. Smiley Sad 

I have dusted many a piece of exercise equipment. We had a pool for many years while the kids were here, but got rid of it as soon as they were gone as we ourselves never used it.  We have a hottub right now that falls under the same heading, but when my folks are here, they use it all the time. So, we keep it aroud for their visits. But, it's only a 2 person, so it doesn't take up much room and we empty it the rest of  the time.  We sold off the horses when the kids left as well.  Everything has its season, and some things are just for when kids are in the house. 

I just got a Samsung Android and thought I would only use it on an upcoming trip, but find I keep it by me all the time! So, some things DO work out better than you thought at first. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: lettuce

I think a lot of us buy things we think we "ought " to use or enjoy, then find out they are not all they are cracked up to be.  While I have had my share of greens go brown too, we notice that bacon never goes to waste here!

You make an interesting point about things we buy while we have kids, and then do away with when they are grown.  I have been finding myself thiking about things that we will want to share with the expected grandson, and wonder what I will guess right and wrong about there. 

I will finally have an excuse to fly a kite and fingerpaint again...to dye Easter eggs, make Halloween costumes, and iron a pretty fall leaf into a sandwich of waxed paper.  You can take the kid of of kindergarten, but you can't take the kindergarten out of the kid. 

One thing for sure, we don't have much concrete sidewalk for a kid to skate on, and at the price per yard now,  I doubt we ever will.  Enough for those sidewalk chalks and a game of hopscotch, though.

Then, too, there are the things we always wanted to have that we couldn't afford while raising kids...anyone want to start THAT list?  I finally purchased nice everyday china and good flatware when we got down to one daughter left at home.  Still drink out of cheap glassware, but at least it all matches...no more jelly jars! 

When they moved on, I had room for my glass hobby in their former bedrooms, and found a used loom  to learn weaving on.  That is one I thought would be more fun...the actual weaving is great, but warping a loom is the price you pay, in terms of time and patience,  for the pleasure of making cloth. 

I am probably the only woman in the whole county with a set of most of the tools it takes to fend in a post-consumerist economy.  Married one of those guys who I joke could actually manage to gain weight on "Survivor".  I can walk out the door and find five plants to dye wool with, without leaving the sidewalk. 

Maybe we should start a thread of knowledge you have obtained, that no one needs to know..."Five things you know how to do, but hope you never have to do again"?!?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have one for that list. Concrete. DH likes mixing and pouring concrete for floors, walks etc. It is the most difficult job I have ever done. Thank goodness I have not done that for many years but I do know how. I thing I never got right was putting a steeple in a fence post. I won't ever have to do that again either.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Concrete work would rank near the top of that list. 

Pit diving in a deep pit hog house for any pig that has fallen through a break in the flooring is probably higher up for me.  Washing laundry for a family that has done that chore is a close second. 

Cleaning out any grain pit that has taken on water and gone through a ferment is pretty rough, too.  Any rotten feed or pther source protein is a nasty job to clean up. 

I can think of lots of jobs where I would rather just write the guy a check....

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: Top 5 Items you buy and never use...

Treadmill which I used mostly as a clothes horse.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re:lettuce...

I hear you on the lettuce & celery too.  I do pretty good if I bring it home & wash it, wrap it in damp paper towels, then an old tea towel & put in a bag.  Then it's ready for me to use. 

I'm leaving my food processor on my counter even tho it is a hog.  If I don't I don't use it.  And I'm making myself get used to using it.  I wish there were recipes in the book that came with it.  And I'm soooo STUPID about using which bowl & which blades, etc. 

Another thing we don't buy but rent is DVDs.  Many a time I've returned them & we haven't even watched them.  No time.  I should look into Netflex.  I'm signed up for online with them but that doesn't work with our slower internet.

I could go make a meal while it buffers!   Another thimg we do't use.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Re:lettuce...

we used Net flix pretty well for a short time.  But now I probably should cancel it.  Not really worth the monthly fee.  We also pay for just about every TV channel there is so DH always finds something to put on. Military, sports, National Geographic, science).  Me I usually just read or go to bed early.

I think the best thing I got from Net Flix was some of the "All creatures great and small" series.  Loved that show and books.

Streaming through our connection doesn't work well either.

Our one son has Net Flix set up through their Wii through the TV  works well for them.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Celery...absolutely!  I think in 38 years of hoiusekeeping, I may have managed to use an entire bunch once before it got too limp and pale!  Have had a few carrots sprout tops in the crisper, too....

If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, I think that there is a lot of compost along the way! 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I agree on this one. I recently threw out a whole bag of carrots since I had bought them  just before the garden began producing. By then I was no longer making soups and stews etc. I can usually use all the celery but I have had to throw plenty of that out too. I once read about celery soup being fed to some handicap people who were boarded at this house and the cook almost entirely fed them on celery soup.  She didn't waste the bunch.

0 Kudos