cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Tornado safety - new ideas

We are under tornado watches and warnings all over the region tonight...typical coming into spring weather in eastern NC.  Got in from helping host a baby shower about 5:30, to find Mike watching the weather radar and getting supper on the table. 

I wasn't really listening all that hard, since I was kind of tired, and I wsa sort fo caught off-guard when he turned to me and said, ":Well, maybe we should put on our motorcycle helments, then."

i must have said, "Do WHAT?" It was that unexpected a statemetn adn he was serious...when he saw I was not followign him, he explained what the weatherman had just told viewers to do. 

I had not heard this in all the years of really listening carefully to safety steps in storms:  Tell the kids to put on their bicycle helmets, put on your winter coats, anythingthat can protect you from flying debris.  To be honest, it made sense, but I'd never thought of it before. 

I told him we could put on all of our body armor for riding the bikes.  Ballistic cloth can really help protect your skin in a slide, so it stands to reason it would cover a lot of body parts, to keep them safer when stuff goes airborne.  I'd probably put on my riding glasses, too, unless we grabbed our full-face helmets with visors. 

Thought this was interesting advice, and wanted to share it with you.  I would think any sort of protective gear is better than plain old skin. 

Anyone else heard any updated guidance for family safety in bad weather? 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Tornado safety - new ideas

Our weatherman is very good about addressing kids who just arrived home from school and that are probably alone, he tells them the same, helmet, coat, blankets, get in the middle room, cell ph, flashlight ect.  He is very good.  Saved lots of lives.  We are ready for some rough weather....we need the rain!

0 Kudos
Advisor

I was sort of tuned out during this forecast/advice report.  I did hear him say something about having a battery-powered weather radio in the house...our windup one is in the RV, ought to be in the house. 

We have subscribed to the reverse 9-1-1 service here and in the home county in VA, so we can call and warn the two kids up there. 

I cannot imagine being a kid at home alone with a tornado coming.  How terrifying! 

Good luck on the rainfall...we had 3/4 of an inch by dark, and another hard shower after that.  Will get final tally in the morning.  I expect it to be at least an inch, all told.  Enough to keep the grass encouraged....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That advice is new to me too, thanks for passing it along.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Tornado safety - new ideas- be ready

Storms are a coming. Thought we would have rain, but have 3-6 inches of snow on the ground instead. More snow to come tomorrow. Thought I would give you a heads up on what to expect. Be safe.

0 Kudos
Advisor

It made such good sense to me, but I'd never thought of it until he told me about the weatherman'sguidance.  I guess our kids came along in the pre-helmet years. 

It made me realize later on in the evening that his stitched-up shin that the dogs keep running into could benefit from a taekwondo shin guard, so I offered to lend him one.  No taker yet, but I think a couple more hard-headed Heelers crashing into that spot might change his mind. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Our weather man had also gave the advice of putting on your children's bike or ball helmets. I had  never thought about it, but it is a good idea. I still think the best thing is to get a shelter, I am not sure why we have not done this, since we have had some hit so close, and they call my area Tornado Alley. We are suppose to have storms all day tomorrow. I love spring, but hate the Tornados. I also signed up for weather call, it calls only if the tornado is coming down our road. It is 6.25 a year. THe best money I have ever spent. I can go to bed, take my cell phone and know they will call if it gets bad enough. I also signed my parents and my daughters Salon up for the call. My parents can now go to bed and not worry about sitting in the hall all night.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

This seems so weird to read when it is blowing snow and down to zero here tonight...  Was just out on a first responder call...4 people in the vehicle and a little baby.  Icy roads and the young mother said she was going 50-55...She had slowed down to that!  Good grief!  I was only going 40 miles per hour on the ice to the call.... The wind had caught the new refrigerator they had in the back of the pickup .  If its blowing that hard and the roads are icy and you have a tiny baby in the vehicle...do you think you might go alittle slower!  Had to bite my lip. 

They had bought a pizza on the way home.....it was all over and you can imagine what it looked like...The red sauce....ugh.

Ok, I suppose it will take 2 hours to get the adrenalin out of my system so I can try get back to sleep...  wish they had a site on the web that you could go to to say, Im awake, how about you?  You could check your friends names and if they are on there , you could call them.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I certainly understand your fustrations about careless driving. It seems there are more and more of them every week.

0 Kudos
Advisor

When I read this, all I could think of was how fortunate that family was to be only splattered with sauce! 

If not for first responders like you who will take the call, they would have been in a world of trouble.  Thank you for being one of the heroes!

0 Kudos