cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Trick or treaters?

Was talking with my Friend on FB yesterday, and mentioned that Winn will be gone on a trip at Halloween, so we will not have any little goblins this year. We have always lived so far back on a country lane that no one bothers to drive down it for a Tootsie Roll or two. His visit last year was exciting for us, but we will see him a night or so early this year.

I used to take our kids mostly to their grandparents' houses, branching out to some other relatives, eventually some neighbors in between. We would wind up back home for hot cider and a warm bath before bedtime. Miss that!

My friend commented that they never have any little knocks on the door, either. Just made me wonder this morning: Do you get any ghosts and goblins wanting loot, or not?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Trick or treaters?

I love Halloween.  We are out of town and don't really know any one with young kids very well, so we don't get many coming to the farm.  We put up decorations and have candy both at the house and down at the parlor.  This year we will get at least one.  The girl that is our herdsman has a little girl that will be 3 this year and she plans to come by even though she really doesn't live very close by.  Our newest employee has kids but also doesn't live nearby so don't know if they will make the trip over here.

Halloween was never for my kids like it was for me.  I grew up in a housing development so it was house after house  in a very easily walked parameter.  A ton of candy.  But that was so long enough ago that we even took home made stuff from people.  I think I was in high school when the first cases of razor blades in candy started and really changed Halloween forever.

Before we bought the farm we lived fairly rural.  There were probably a dozen houses within a mile and the kids would go there, then we would drive them to relatives.  My husband's grandmother lived in town and she was the only person I ever knew that kept a count of kids from year to year.  Cracked me up.  She was such a darling old Polish Busia.

Here where the farm is apparently the Halloween before we moved up here had some pretty bad problems.  A group of kids must of gotten destructive because the town and sheriff's department really discouraged people from giving out candy.  I can remember taking the kids to town that first fall and probably not finding 5 houses with their lights on.  Then a couple of years later between the PTA and Odd fellows and  a few other organizations they started putting on an event at the junior high building or some times the high school building and several of the businesses downtown decided to get in the spirit.  It was OK.  One year the science club put on a pretty good haunted house.  But gradually more and more people have started giving out candy from their homes and a local petting farm puts on a nice maize.

I'm hoping that even though my kids didn't stay in the area their old friends will remember us and bring us trick or treaters again as they start to have kids.  Although thinking about it not really very many of their really good friends stayed in the area either.

My daughter with the 2 year old called last night to say they are having issues with Halloween.  William doesn't like the decorations and costumes.  Won't even walk by the aisles with Halloween stuff in the stores.  Sometime kids just don't like it.  When my 3rd daughter (the one who died young) was 2 we didn't realize she was scared till the first trick or treater showed up and she went screaming out of the living room.  She was also the one that had night terrors.   What an experience those are.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

yup no trick or treaters here either.  I help put on a come and go halloween party in town, kids come and have a snack, crfafts, games and on the way out numerous business and people donate candy or make goodies for them to take...so this has been my halloween for the last 8 years.

S.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Sounds like a lot of fun. This will be my first time volunteering at the park. Last year, Winn was our first trick or treater ever. Maybe next year, hecwill be big enough for the park event, so we can enjoy both!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We have the grandkids of course & I was surprised (& unprepared) when the young family down the road stopped.

Mom, Dad were dressed like prisoners & little guy was the sheriff.  Cute.  The neighbors down the otherway have kids but never stop.  Don't know if they go or not.  When we used to live in town we were on an active street and had a lot of kids.  Now the town has a party & gives hot dogs & a prize for age divisions.  Limited trick or treating hours.

My sister in law lives in a larger town nearby & her mom is a small statured widow.  There are a lot of lower income residents there from out of the area that have moved in.  She was mobbed with groups of 25 at a time, & some BIG kids.  Now my neices or their high school sons go their for "protection".  She enjoys it but a bit much.  She went through $30 of candy in 30 minutes.

0 Kudos