cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Twenty degrees cooler and WIND!

Well, our first night of the new central heat working here was very nice. No stoking the woodtove in the wee hours, no suppertime trip to the woodshed. Jenna had chosen to keep the front rooms closed off, rather than feeding the stove more often. Now, the doors to the dining room and front bedroom are open, with no comfort penalty involved. We were both pooped from the day's work yesterday. I am so glad I got the rocker painting done, and the daffodils set...there is NO way I would be up to an entire day out in the colder wind today. Mike has promised to feed and water the flowerbeds for me this morning. I have my work cut out, cleaning up behind Boiler Man, and putting a whole houseful of furniture back in place. At least it will be warm in here while I am doing it. Are you still able to enjoy yard work, or have you laid it by for the season?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: Twenty degrees cooler and WIND!

DH has been working the past couple of weeks getting the grass cut again in some places where it was needed and chopping up the leaves as they fell. He put the compost on the garden and tilled it into the soil and clean the gutters. We put the planters away for the winter too. We are ready with a good supply of wood for the stove.

0 Kudos

Turkey Feather... Ditto. Our climate must be fairly similar.
0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Yes, we are about 2 + hours west. Sure is cold today.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

We are back in NC now, and Mike is doing his hog chores for the day.  He got all the beds fed and wetted down well, and I got the whole house gone over.  We will be walking back into privacy finally, and no messes made by workmen. 

We are now in the stage of seeing how long the boiler can keep the house warm on a fill of good seasoned oak blocks.  Mike got my indoor/outdoor thermometer set up  in the solar room and outside one window of it, so we will have some idea how that is functioning as a heat collector, too. 

Daughter came over with her family and some riding students while we were gone, and they cleaned out all the turkey and sides, so no cleanup or cleanout to bother me there.  I am thinking chili for supper is a good idea....

As we were  coming south alongside I-95, on US 301 to miss the traffic, we talked about where his family had always raised their garden and why.  It was on a south-facing hillside out back of the house.  I would love to trench into that slope a bit, and have a real three-season garden there. 

The land here is SO cruddy and soggy, and that is such lovely, loamy land that drains, it is a sin not to garden there instead of here.  We have figured out how often and how long we can easily be there, and given that, it makes as much sense to have a garden there as here, timewise.  It is really tempting.  

I think we may have found a lead on a reasonably-priced helper to hire up there for some odd jobs, too.  We have several outbuildings to clean out and fix up a bit, so that will be a good thing. 

I did end up outside for a little while,  tending the cats and unloading some heavy timbers for the final small terraced steps to the boiler.  It was cool and beautifully sunny, but the wind was everything I was  afraid it would be...my ears are still stinging, two hours later!

0 Kudos