cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Victoria's Secret catalog

After years of my daughters telling me I was wasting my money elsewhere, I started shopping online from Victoria's Secret for two basic items. You simply cannot beat the fit and quality of these two items. Expensive, yes. But I can go years without needing to replace them.

What's the problem? Once you order online the bombard you with catalogs. Mostly I ignore them and into the trash they go. I've noticed all along that the covers and photos are very provocative and revealing. But the one that came yesterday had a cover that crossed the line right into *orno* ....I pitched it immediately. All I could think was that is someone's daughter.

I would be happy to buy elsewhere but honestly I love their product. I'm going to email customer service and make them take me off their mailing list. I feel like a hypocrite buying anything else from them....

Did you ever find yourself patronizing a business that had corporate values that you just can't reconcile with your own? Especially if you have limited choices for a comparble product or service?

Sigh....
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Victoria's Secret catalog

Yes...thus, my " stuck with Walmart" post this week. I am in the process right now of weeding out some whose basic business models are predatory... Starting with buying out one of two ADT alarm contracts.

That will let me shed a landline, too. Next will be Hughesnet. It simply stinks, for the cost.

It is hard to reconcile everything a family needs and wants with a serious social conscience. I say get the undies you like, tell them to stop the catalogs, and realize they will think you are probably a jealous wife whose husband enjoys them " too much".

( LOLOL here!)

I raised Hail, Columbia! with Verizon this past week. Was sold a Windows tablet that would never work outside 4G territory...most gadgets will function in extended 4G, but not these whoppers. Returned it, was charged a $70 restocking fee, for their sales mistake. Got several runarounds, finally the right info. Tracked down my ding-danged account credit, I tell you!

It seems that if you are a determined-enough customer in good standing, you can pretty much get your way, most places. I has a snafu with amazon a while back...had all sorts of personal phone calls and apologies coming out of that.

Pier One tracked down some matching cushions that got lost in their digital ordering system limbo, found them in stores and shipped them with no S&H charges. I always send a thank you email behind something like that. Amazing how much people love it when you do that. When practical, I will write and send a handwritten note instead.

Getting into a mail/ phone /email database is a lot like being a little bit preggers, I am afraid...lots easier to get into than out of!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I made the mistake (or not) of buying from them once and now my mailbox is regularly visited by their ads & catalogs.   I wonder what that costs them?  I wonder if they were to quit sending and just apply the $$ to a discount on merchandise..   Hmmm..   

The company that was more recently problematic to me as far as loving the product but not being able to stomach the values was The Muck Boot Company and their donations to HSUS.     I do believe that has been clarified and they have come out saying that this was not going to happen.  But I did have the momentary panic..  I had found a product that actually worked beyond all expectations for everyone in our family.  What would we ever find to replace it..    Thank goodness that is over.

And on another note.. what about the e-receipts?   I dont' mind them except there are times when birthday or christmas shopping that I don't want DH or a Teen finding out  what I've purchased before I even get out of the store.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think a phone call or letter to the company is always appropiate.  If a company gets enough calls they should get the message. There do seem to be more catalogs coming recently.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I haven' t weighed catalogs since the year I started with the first one that mentioned " the Holidays", and ended up with about 100 pounds of them. I used to stand over the trashcan to sort mail. Now, about half of it is sorted and the catalogs tossed at the Supercan at the ditchbank.

Mike asked to keep the Northern tool catalog this week. I do skim Chefs and Lehman's, but hardly ever any others. At least our wishbooks are all practical now!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Catalogs

Well, I need new underwear pretty badly but guess I'll pass on Victoria's. 

Oh, and those trade shows.  They sucker you in with a drawing for a nice rural art print or a free item that looks pretty handy and you just have to fill in your info.  And then you get 10 catalogs for one card you filled in.  DH & I get duplicates of one breeding catalog, and I have sent the mailing labels in and we STILL get two.  Right into the recylcing bin.  And we get one for card board boxes for packing & shipping.  No clue how we got on that list!

0 Kudos