cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Volunteering?

We are all set for our park's spring pig pickin' fundraiser this evening. It was started last year, and took the place of a lackluster chili cookoff event that had basically run its course. It was successful last year, and we have nice weather (65 and mostly sunny) today.

Last year, I was on the tea and wine table, and Mike did a shift serving at the beer truck. I was supposed to do a one - hour shift, but my " relief" never showed up. I got one sample of barbecue that Mike brought up to me for supper...had, of course, bought a $20 ticket. i am diabetic, and have to eat that time of day or suffer a real energy lapse.

After the event, I gave very specific guidelines on quantities of cups and supplies of drinks and ice needed for this year. They are in the minutes from the followup meeting...they asked for these figures for planning this year's event.

I kept running out of everything last year...it was a scramble to keep the crowd served pulling cups put of closets, sending people out for more ice and tea, etc. It drove my OCD nuts!! In addition, I made it clear that the distance from the kitchen to the serving area was too far. I could barely walk for several days after last year...and there were three of us on the table.

Went by the park Wednesday, to deliver supplies for another thing we support,and asked about prep for tonight. The lady in charge had no idea where two of the four drink dispensers I contributed after last year's event had gone...told me I never brought but two...you KNOW I know if I brought them four. This place is a black hole, I am learning. Things go there and disappear. Lesson learned.

She had no idea how many cups and how much tea were coming. Why did I bother with careful recommendations, and why did they even ask?
On top of that, the schedule shows only two of us on the table this year, no one else scheduled, and no breaks to eat...and both of our husbands, who fed us some scraps last year...on beer for all but one hour of it. I am not happy.

Emailed the organizer when I saw the schedule, saying, " Don't forget to put us near the kitchen... With only two of us to serve several hundred people, we will not have time to hike back and forth this year."

I got a " we have plenty of runners" return message. I returned that I never saw one last year., we have no relief and only two of three returning this year.

I hate it when I volunteer to help and get ground into dust this way. Mike is furious...he says we won't even buy tickets next year...if you don't get to eat. I am just dreading trying to serve paying guests with insufficient supplies, plus being on my feet stuck in one spot for nearly four hours, without my only real main meal of the day. I can walk for hours, just not carrying heavy jugs and buckets, but standing is torture.

Is it just me? Do you get stuck in volunteering for groups that are basically too disorganized? I don't mind working...I do mind being chained to a chore, without what I need to get it accomplished. I am already drafting comments for this year's minutes. Two little old ladies ( my buddy is in her seventies) do not need to be driven like plow mules....
0 Kudos
6 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: Volunteering?

I understand you frustration! Not everyone is a good planner like you and that is part of the reason it is difficult to get help. Too many people have had bad experiences. We started to work on an event for FB nine months in advance. By the time it happened there had been so many changes to the plan and different people, including a new president,  that I am not happy with the results.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

That isn't the problem here. Probably too much continuity of the same incompetence.

The lady who insists I am wrong about the dispensers is actually a former caterer, so she knows better about the quantities...but, she was the one who had no clue Wednesday. I reminded her about the list I wrote and included in the minutes.

I hope by asking then, they have given the issue more attention by today...they have certainly had the time. I just hate being the person with no tea for the non-alcoholic drinkers. There are children's tickets sold, so it isn't just a matter of choice.
0 Kudos
wt51015
Senior Contributor

Volunteering is just that, volunteering. If you don't feel like doing it next year, given all that has happened, don't sign up and make your reasons quite clear. You can support by buying a ticket or decide not to attend at all. Not trying to be nasty, but allowing someone to abuse you and your goodwill says a lot about yourself.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

You are right. We have refused to particupate in the fall " formal" fundraiser, because it is " black tie optional". We are not comfortable with attending, but do contribute auction items, or like this past year, our son donated one of his jewelry pieces for it.

This is my last, lingering volunteer position now. I give the materials for the seed sticks sold in an exhibit, which raise five times what this event does. We made them all the lastcouple of years... I Made it clear this year, with taking back two of our three Virginia farms, that isn't possible snymore.

I don't mind working. I do mind having not enough to work with, and not having even five minutes to eat. When you say so, and it's pooh-poohed, that ticks me off.

Trying not to go with a chip on my shoulder, but you can tell my heart really isn't in it this year. It is underplanned, nothing learned from the initial event. Not a great feeling....
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

I agree with WT.  You can state your reasons and make your decision.  Perhaps another year after things settle down you can go back & help.

Our problem is usually no one showing up to plan.  They think the same few have it all done while we truly welcome ideas.  Sometimes the one leader does have a lot planned ahead of time but she usually asks for opinions on it and is only trying to save some time with preplan ideas.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

This is a "friends" group.  The way we do this is have a followup meeting after every fundraiser, which is the regular meeting for that month.  Last year,. they asked for notes on quantities and how to make it work better.  I said:

1) Fix the cold water tap in the kitchen.  It had nearly no flow, and the hot water was fine...They said it was because some pumps took water to the birds...but, that comes BEFORE the water heater, so made no sense.  Mike went in twice, did a fix, then improved upon that.  It tool maybe fifteen minutes total, and cost zero.  This is typical...no common sense in the staff and owners.  I get that the world is made up of all types, and they are great at birds...somebody's gotta be, right?

2)I gave specific numbers of cups, gallons of each beverage needed, and upscaling numbers for more pigs cooked, more tickets sold...they got eight pigs, in stead of six, this year.  The planner had no idea what I was talking about Wednesday.  They thougth they had "plenty" last year.  Not nearly.  I was the one scrambling to make up the deficit...sonce I have them very specfic numbers, I wasn't expecting the blank look this year. 

On top of this, hired man missed work he owed this morning, for extra days taken off lasst week...daughter made the mistake of paying him yesterday.  Somehow, that has turned out ot be my fault. as usual.  I am getting tired of being such a total screwup, everywhere I go!

0 Kudos