cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: WWWHHHYYYYY?????

Sometimes I wished I could keep my mouth shut. When I tried to be talk about a potential health problem, I got the dirty look. Didn't come straight out and tell the person what could happen, but oh well. Some just can't accept any friendly help. Guess, I shouldn't talk to anyone???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

How I try to handle loaded questions like the one you describe: I listen to the person's inquiry, and first ask them what they think. My reply will usually reiterate what they had to say, and then perhaps build on that.
Sometimes, their conception of their problem is on point, and reinforcement is enough.
Sometimes, their conception of their problem is so far from reality, I just say, " Okay, but, I think you REALLY need to talk to your doctor and ask more questions".
In between, which is where most people are, there is always room for encouragement and education.

For giving dirty looks, it is really hard for me to hide strong feelings or opinions. If I sense that a conversation is heading into charged waters, I will warn the other person not to ask me, unless they want to know what I REALLY think or feel. if they choose to go forward after they have been warned, then they get what they get....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I HEAR YOU!!! My kids get tired of hearing, "because I'm your mother," but that's just the way it is. My middle son has gotten a little bossy this summer, with his little brother but also with me. So I made him sit down at the table and write, "I am not the boss" 50 times. That helped his attitude!

0 Kudos