cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Wait and see...am I wrong?

Hired man got the word from me on Wednesda, not to let his wife's two schoolaged children get off the bus here at the employee residence anymore. He told Mike Tuesday there was a case against them. Further research shows it isn't the first time.

They did again on Thursday, so I confronted the two of them, was told that even though they had trashed the employee residence so badly that the kids were removed over a month ago, they were allowed to be there to " visit their father". Neither one is his. There are no such exceptions, according to my career-social services connection.

I told the wife that I had to see the papers she said she had, saying so. Of course, there are none. I felt I had no choice but to call CPS on Friday, to find out exactly what's going on in my property.

Caseworker said they had ripped apart a wall to the point that the metal outside wall was showing, and wiring was exposed. Three toddlers/infants in the home, so her action was appropriate. I told her and the employee I am not fixing it, for them to just tear it out again. He says wife is leaving anyway...they have been crashing at his aunt's house, and that little lady has had it!

Daughter has gotten over half of the payments out of him on the $4500 vehicle he bought from her. They totalled that in a sleetstorm about six weeks ago, driving in dangerous conditions with five tiny kids in the car. She had been taking $100 a week from his pay.

I am hearng rumblings about how she won't get " her" money if he has quit. That is, of course, now my fault. He failed to show either morning this weekend, which he had promised to do to make up for extra days taken off two weeks back.

I don't feel too bad about " her" money, because that car had been given to ger and SIL, by his folks. I felt it wasn't worth what she charged him, but at any rate, it cost thrm nothing. They didn't follow up on the insurance even though they held a lien on the title.

My position is that I had to make sure these kids didn't come here, against CPS safety order. It one got hurt or worse, that would be a big problem. Any kids who will rip out a wall will rip out a wire. I just cannot take that chance, and I refuse to repair a house, just to have it torn up again.

Frankly, the guy had been crashing and burning ever since the car let them run the roads constantly anyway. Late to work, breaking down an hour from home and calling themto come haul him home. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

I am waiting to see if he comes in today or not. Due at eight...my bet is he isn't coming. Our worst four weeks ahead, on the hog schedule. I have told Mike if he is MIA to go shut off the heat and lights, call me while Winn is in preschool, so I can buy new locks. Two phone calls turn off the water and satellite TV. At least stop hemorrhaging red ink, while I decide what yo do over there.

I am not for maintaining an employee residence anymore...this bunch soured me on that! I don't feel bad, or responsible for the money she doesn't get on the car....SIL told her not to sell it to him, a nd he couldn't get credit for one costing half as much at a dealership, so she was forewarned.

Am I wrong to refuse to let this pair of idiots keep endangering their children on my property? Turns out, he left her with all five kids for four days while he took that exyended trip fkr a funeral two weeks back. If I had known there was an active case, I would have called then, so she could have had some consequences.

I feel I cannot afford the chance. Will know in ten monutes if my bet that he isn't coming is right or not. Have given her the thought that she may want to start making some calls, scheduling working interviews.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Suey73
Advisor

Re: Wait and see...am I wrong?

I bet he doesn't show.  He owes, owes.    He owes hours,  he owes money on car, he owes for the damage.... even though he know he doesn't have to pay it.    Hopefully,  the  "trash" is gone.    Time to teach Winn how to welcome new pigs.  

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I don't see that you have any other options for long term.

0 Kudos
SLC
Senior Contributor

Did he show?   I bet he did not.     I think you are right in what you are doing.  Anything less is potentially harmful to your family, your farm, and those children.   

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Well, guess who blew in about 7:58!?!?
Met him in our work truck in the driveway, like everythung was normal, on my way out for Winn's preschool.

Daughter called my cell on way to town. I was wearing my headset, so I took the call. Turns out, he has about $9000 due him from "income tax" ...which stymies me, because his pay is such that the house and bills cover about half, his salry the other half, and with all those kids, no tax is withheld at all, state or federal.

He claims his wife is heading to Texas ( just a warning, if you love there or anywhere in between NC and there) with all five children, as soon as the money hits their " card". I think that is her child support card form the father(s) of the first two. I am sure I will eventually be hit with garnishee orders, if he lasts.

He " had a mental brakdown and got a hotel room" all weekend. This is with a paid-for house sitting empty.
0 Kudos
joepeters752
Frequent Contributor

He is getting a bunch of child tax credits & "additional children" tax credits. $9,000 sounds about right for 5 kids.

When I get time I will go on my employee rant.
0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

We have got to start a book.    I believe Kay is planning on writing one.   Let's give her plenty of material to write several chapters on  Employee  Drama.  

0 Kudos
joepeters752
Frequent Contributor

I can add at least a dozen chapters. Mostly on employees. All true stories, none of it fabricated. I need to do it quick though as I'm starting to forget the stuff from 1976.
0 Kudos
joepeters752
Frequent Contributor

You can't make this stuff up.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Suey, it just writes itself...I wonder if this is just with farm employees, or employees everywhere.

The part that gags me is that this guy's wife got a job, not long after the fifh baby was born. She was working at a Waffle House, supposedly.

The thought of this filthy person handling and prepating food makes me all the more certain eating at home is healthier.

When I confronted her on Thursday, she stopped several times and just seemed to be trying to stare a hole through me. Evidently, I am immune to her magical spell, because I am still kicking.

It is really a shame. He is a sweet guy, but seems shellshocked, I think the filth must be filtered out in his head. I told him Thursday that he washes one or two buildings every week to place pigs in...cleaner than the home they are making for their children. He agreed.

It has been related to me that he said everytime he would get things straightened up a bit, the wife and kids (who weren't allowed to be there, remember?) would come over and trash it all over again. It is am impossible situation to solve, as long as she is around.

He is nice looking, has manners that show he had some upbringing, and was working as a janitor when we found him. Did get put of daughter last night that the reason he jumled so hard at the job with a house was that their water was turned off where they had been...with a $400-plus bill.
0 Kudos