cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Warm spell!

We have had a couple of very cold nights, extremely windy days. Today, there was wind, but not scary gusts. We got back a bit after noon, and Winn came over to hang with me, so his Mama could do chores and ride a while with boarders and friends.

It was in the fifties, so we could enjoy outdoors without really bundling up at all. He rode his balance bike in the driveway for a good while, then we trailed out behind PaPa across the big hayfields by the house. He was gassing up the irrigation reels, to haul the guns back in on a run.
We had a good talk about: brown grass, green grass, pig s@$t and irrigation equipment, plus watched more jets laying out contrails than I have seen in ages. Mike asked us to help him guard the gate, while he hauled big bales out to the cows.

That was mostly picking up rocks and pitching them at empty protein tubs. Winn called this " my new game!" He says " me and all my friends throw rocks at school". Little boys are pretty much the same as they've always been then.

Got back, had a snack of luscious blueberry cheese and flaxseed crackers, and kicked back in hopes of a nap. Evidently, the fresh air did a good job of making him sleepy... We are almost three hours into this one! Gonna have to wake him up to go home to bed soon.

Tomorrow is forecast sixties for us. Really wish we could be in VA, because I could prune all day and not get done. Not in the cards, though. He says he has to get busy with waste management. . I need to get that whole recordkeeping system set up on the computer for this year.
After reading Linda's bad news, really rethinking that!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Warm spell!

Oh really Kay.  Do you have to rub it in?  We are going to have freezing rain tomorrow and temps are supposed to plummet again next week.  The sun is great to see and does melt quite a bit but then it freezes at night and it's easy to fall on your butt!  Brian did last night.  I still refuse to go out.  Making it to the garage from the house is bad enough.  It's close enough but the sidewalk is sloped and it thaws then freezes.  I look like an old lady holding onto the deck spindles!

I don't care as long as I don't fall and break another bone.  I have found when your knees are not great you don't adjust your balance quickly.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Sorry, Linda! We are in the South...eleven the other night was wicked cold to us!

We reached another of our " joint decisions made separately " this morning. I had to wake him up in the recliner at 11:57 last night at Jenna's house. Going out in twenty-ish evening air really woke him up, when we needed to be turning in.

Boiler on that house now has about 20% the firebox capacity as the other two. He fills the bigger one every 3-4 days, instead of three times a day.
We agreed that it will be lots more manageable if we go ahead and upsize that system, passing the smaller burner on to our daughter and SIL. With us going back and forth, the fires need to last while we're gone. There is someone tending horses at their house twice a day, every day...so, can feed the fire, too.

I was sent to order the new one. Really enjoy the couple that deals these things. Very bright, creative woman, brilliant guy who can rig just about anything. Looking forward to the new install in early March, if not sooner. Hoping sooner, honestly. Really want to try out the new one, before it gets too balmy.

You stay safe. I will try not to get a sunburn!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yeah, tough life!LOL

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I do not understand what you are calling a boiler?  Is it the same as what we call outside wood furnaces?  We used one for a while but went back to a wood stove since the furnace used so much wood and we do not have a huge amount of trees to harvest.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Technically, an outside furnace would usually deliver hot air, usually for a forced air system in ductwork.  I considered one of those for my studio house and greenhouse, but we have been so happy with the Central Boilers, we opted to go with our same dealer again. 

The boilers are outdoor, fired with wood, but heat a water jacket around the firebox.  The heated water can be used in a number of ways, all based upon  circulator pumps, controlled by theromostats, moving hot water around. 

We use it through those radiating baseboards in Jenna's house, and have a separate heat exchanger (looks like a car radiator) with its own blower set in the basement, blowing up the steps to the sunroom/office. 

Our domestic hot water there is routed in sync with the electric water heater in the basement. 

In the other house, the heated water goes to an exchanger mounted ductwork, using the house's furnace blower and ducts, just on a separate thermostat.  The greenhouse will be heated with a second exchanger in the sunspace, with an integrated blower and its own thermostat. 

Hot water is supplied on an instant tankless system there. although the electric heater is still there, and can be used if we wish.

Another way the hot water can be used is to heat floors with tubing underneath the subfloor.  I would really like to try this type in my workshop space someday, because air blowing can mess with torch flame.  May send some to heat a soaking tub there, as we use the one here in NC to heat the pool. 

Here, we heat water for exchangers in forced air ducts in the office, separately in the house, using the blowers and ducts we already had in place.  To make the bathrooms especially warm, I added a baseboard radiator in my tiny one, and a heater with radiator and blower, on its own controls, in the big bath/laundry/sauna.   Hot water everywhere is provided by exchangers where needed. 

We have over 400 acres of our own trees.  Most are hardwoods...some are commercial pine stands.  If Mike only cuts what falls/blows down, he would probably keep up in the course of a year.  He does thin around fields and sometimes will take out a windrow and such.  There is the occasional tree that threatens to fall on a structure.  They have to go....

Not a thing for people without woodlands, for sure.  We have a small fortune in wood splitters, saws, and tractors and loaders to handle all of this.  Mike loves cutting wood.  It is his "personal trainer." 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info. DH really like to cut and split wood which I don't understand. The spliter and saws etc can really add up. We have not used very much wood this winter compared to the cold on last year.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I guess it's a guy thing. The splitter he wanted last year was $6500, so this doesn't really save us money.
It makes him happy, so priceless!
0 Kudos