cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Warnings again

The emergency system here in NC is ringing all the lines off the hook this morning...more snow fell yesterday and into the night. Somehow, nobody seemed to see that one coming?!?

Today, we have about twelve hours before it starts again, calling fir 6-8 inches more. This makes two weeks straight that schools will be closed most days...I think there was a two - hour delay yesterday, after being closed all of last week. Pretty sure the buses are parked this morning, and depending upon how cold it stays, may not roll the rest of this week, too.

We had a December like this when our kids were small...I think went to school one or two daus the entire month. My crowd turned into happy heathens, sledding and sipping hot chocolate all day, watching out the window for more flakes, it was magical, just to " be".

Mike has babies coming and feeders leaving, then we will likely run to VA and back later in the day. The mules and their old horse who have been moved up there, ostensibly to serve as livestock guardians when we move the cows come spring, need chrcking and perhaps another big bale.
We want to fill the big boiler on the studio house...it can make it 3-5 days on a firebox full. The dealer texted me a photo of the big one we're upgrading to on Jenna's house. It arrived a couple of weeks early, so we are hoping for an install by sometime next week.

I think Mike will be getting our son up to speed with the new tractor and loader before next winter. He readily covers for us, but even I don't know where he hid the ignition key for this new one! They have a protein tub to nibble at, so will not go hungry at any rate, but he is mental about nothing going hungry on his watch.

I have been using this spell to get the office much straighter. The house, not so much...getting my head cleared out about where to set up the waste records electronically.

The more I consider it, I think the best thing is to get a low-end but reliable laptop, and dedicate it to use in Mike's office, just for them. The Surface Pro tablet is attractive, except for its price. I can get three such laptops for one of the lower-end Microsoft gadgets.

I know you guys seem to get custom- built computer systems, but I have never really understood why. Can anyone explain that decision to me? Maybe I am just missing something.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Warnings again

I am not an expert but I was told that they last longer.  Mine has Windows seven so no learning curve and you pick and choose what you need on a computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I let the computer store put together my computer because  just like Sargent Schultz.  "  I know Nothing".  If it were up to me to go to  Staples or Best Buy  to put together a new computer I'd put it off  til I was desperate.    BB  is an hour away,  Staples  30 minutes.   Local Computer Store.. 15 minutes.   I was  a little embarassed to take my old HP into this store to work on  after I had not bought it there.     From working on my old computer they could see how I use and take care of my computer.   They had the new one already downloaded with the farm software and the previous 5 years of data.  

Speaking of computer care.... I cleaned the cubby hole a few weeks ago.    The vent to the computer was AWFUL!    If you have a tower that sits in a  special computer desk... Pull it out and dust. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Weather,  we are under Winter Weather Warning.   we are on the line  we could get 6 - 9"  or 3-6"   The cat is away for CLM training  I'd better get my but to work.    Figure local School will let out early and we will cancel our LOGOS/afterschool  church program.  If they do I'll probably put Polyurethane on my closet doors at the Big House. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

You are getting the weather..   Thankfully our winter has been more mild..  although we've had our fair share of snow and cold.  

At one time, I really believed in the custom built computers and that;s what we had.  However as kids started needing computers/laptops more for school work and DH (GASP) started using it more, I went to Staples and bought one - on the advice of   our computer guy.  He has bailed me out of crashes and virus a time or two and actually put together my first couple systems.  He told me the minimum criteria to buy on laptops and desktops..   Then I took the machine to him and he did a little reconfiguring and loaded my programs with saved data.      He said he cannot compare price-wise nor is there that much difference in what he would put together.  He made sure they all network with each other, etc.     All that said, when DD went to college, we found that she needed to use the university's network and wifi so we ended up buying her a new laptop on both the advice of our guy and the college techs.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We are in the 3-6 band of snow, I beleive.  was 1-3.  THe heavier amounts were to go south of us (Suey), I really haven't even looked at a map, but the winter watches/warnings are out.  Local school here in Cedar Rapids already has early out in the works.  DH is supposed to go to a Pest Apps certification tonight about 35 miles away.  Should have gone last night.  but I guess they got lots done at the house last night.  Next pest apps is in April...one they added to the schedule. Told him to get his truck plugged in, in case he has to take it.  Kind of nice not to have to worry about bad roads this winter, only a few days worth.  Not supposed to get wind with this one, but is to drop in temps in the next few days....I am sure Crocuses and daffodils are coming soon! (ok, I am hoping!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

My newer system is Windows 8.1. Only real issue was third-party email server doesn't work with that, so their tech walked me through and did a temote download install of Windows Live Mail. It works fine...I just keep that icon in the bottom tray.

Forestalling adapting to a new OS seems sort of like just kicking the can down the road to me. I figured I can cope better now thsn 5-7 years from now. Maybe, maybe not.

Mike is borderline freaking out today...pig trucks are late, propane transport got himself stuck here early this morning, we need protein tubs brought back for the cows, so called TSC to hold some until we can get to town later, after the pigs are unloaded/loaded back out. If they are too late, I will make that trip on my own.

I finally had to sit and write a list of steps for one problem he is trying to solve, because he kept not listening to the answers to a question he asked me to solve. I would tell him, and he would repeat back the opposite. It's clear to me that our issues of late are not unilateral here.

I think back to nursing school fairly often now...learned the technique of " reverse demonstration"...what you do when you teach the patient something, you make them teach it back to you. This caught his confusion this morning.

There aren't many things here that I know best, but this was definitely one of them. With almost everything, he is great until there is a problem, then my brain is called upon.

I had always thought he " got it" when i taught him the action to remedy things. Now, I know I have either been wrong, or he isn't really listening.

On this one, I had to keep telling him to stop thinking of what he thought I was going to say, and actually to let me say it. You can see the look on his face, when he starts thinking he knows, and my explanation is starting to bug him...but he's wrong. It pains me to do it, but I stopped and said, " Okay, now tell me what I just told you to do".... And he can't.

That's when I break out my Sharpie pen and index cards. Ext trip to Sam's, I think I will pick up massive package of both.
0 Kudos