cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Wasted Food

Maybe good-tasting, but not good for you!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

everyone cooks too much food,

cut by 1/3rd and so waht if once in a while someone isn't full ...

eating out ? split   ,, period.  except wine, orcer double

0 Kudos
Advisor

The first time we went to Europe it was for ten days in Paris for the big agriculture show.  We stayed in the Opera District, a restored community of old former opera houses and theaters which is now an area of street level shopswith apartments above, cafes and restaraunts, and hotels.  We could walk for hours from our location and, with the exception of meals eaten at the show (which was a culinary event in itself), we ate in the city.  

We were warned that Parisians take forever to eat a meal, hence it takes forever to be served a meal.  We were told not to be rude Americans just looking for "fuel" but to relax and enjoy the experience.  They werent kidding.  Dinner was two or more hours.  It took as a few days but by the end of our stay we got it!

Food and drink is a sensory experience in Europe.  They dont wolf down a paper wrapped piece of grease on a bun while sitting at a traffic light.  e Starbucks there was deserted compared to the quaint creperies where coffee was served in thimble sized cup.  It was strong enough that you didnt need 32 ounces of it.  Litter was minimal as people sat down to eat off plates with real utensils.

I loved it.  I likened the dining experience to r e a d i n g a novel or s t r o l l i n g through a musem.  Whats the rush?

We Americans think we are just so darn advanced.  That advanced state comes at a price....the loss of civility.  I see it in everything from how we drive to how we shop to how we communicate to how we relate....go,go,go,fater,faster,faster, 

Honored Advisor

The American work ethic ( at least for those of us who still work) is very different from the European one, from everything I understand.  They take extended vacation times, compared to us, and daily schedules are nothing like as demanding as ours.  I have read about year-long maternity leaves with pay, and other perqs US workers will probably never enjoy. 

I refuse to eat in my car.  Started this ban a few years ago, and observe it to this day.  May have a glass of herbal tea in the console, but no meal or even a snack. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

This is so true. You didn't see over weight poeple in France maybe part of it is the genes but they consume all that wine, bread and cheese and rich food and don't gain. They do walk a lot.

Check out any drive thru at any hour almost and there is a line. And I live in a rural area. It is not real food any more for the most part.  Where will it end.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It ends one meal choice at a time.  I have not, unless Mike insists on  Hardee'sFrisco burger, chosen to eat at a fast food place for anything other than a salad, for several years now.  Hardee's has no decent salad offerings, so I am stuck with a chicken filet sandwich or, if I am lucky, a wrap with more fresh ingerdients in it. 

I see Chick-fil-a has cranked up its fresher food offerings.  An entree salad, or a wrap with a fruit cup side, is a decent alternative. Panera Bread when I am in town.  Other than that, we look to more home cooking as the way to be healthier with our intake. 

Most people have not got the skills, or perceive that they haven't got the time, anymore.   If they truly timed the drive time and sitting in line time, the fast food isn't really all that fast.  At $9 for a combo meal, it isn't really cheap anymore, either. 

We do buy Subway, on our commutes to Va most often.  Maybe once a week, if that. 

If we demanded truly healthy food choices, we would get them. 

0 Kudos