cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Weeding and preparing to plant

Spent a good hour or so weeding the flower beds here at Jenna's house this evening. I made the mistake of letting the little wild harbinger weeds of spring take too much hold, and thus had a fairly sold mat if hen-bit, chickweed, hairy vetch, and oxalis everywhere. Buttercups are invading as well.

Most of these were fading with hotter sunshine; but, pulling them still takes time and a lot of patience. Next year, I will tour the beds with a hoe in early March. The last bulbs - these being the pink daffodils on the north side, which stayed under snow the longest - are making a pretty show outside the window of Jenna's pink kitchen this week.

My first finds of the season are ready to dig in : two flats of blue forget-me-nots, and some pretty, peachy Gerbera daisies, all found on the clearance cart. iPad helped me order a few purple dahlias and some bee balm, while on the road coming here today.

it is finally supposed to be safe to sow seeds outdoors here, too, so my Bachelor's Buttons and Purple Coneflower are on the list for
tomorrow. With rain forecast for Friday night, this should be perfect timing to get things going in the ground. Can't forget those purple elephant ears, too.

Anyone else cleaning up and getting going outdoors yet? Manureseller, I know you got a fe inches of snow this week, so I am guessing not. How about the rest of you?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Weeding and preparing to plant

Frankly Kay, your cheery post about flowers & planting aren't sitting very well here.  It's been pouring all day, more tomorrow.  I just got in-wet & cold.  Waited to do chores until it quit but it didn't.  Had to take DGD to dance so home late.  Ditches are overflowing and there will be no planting in our area for quite a while.  Oh, and I have a bucket sitting in my kitchen/DR door catching a leak.  DH has tried to fix it but so far when it blows from the east we get the drips.

BTW had a nice hail storm today; really hard pellets about the size of gumballs.  Driving home I got it hard.  And snow forecasted sometime.  I just don't listen anymore.  That won't stick anyway with this wetness.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Sorry, Linda. I meant well....

If it makes you feel any better, the puppy from across the yard is digging up bulbs and shrubs faster than I can plant them back. Hate to send her to the dog pen, but I am meeting with the realtor this morning to sign the contract on the third rental house, and I will be telling her to police those tenants.

I doubt they will comply, when they think we aren't here; but, we have agreed they need to move along anyway. Their deposit is going to take a hit as it is.

He is a prison guard, but wears a sidearm at all times...I have taken to referring to him as Deputy Dawg. Remember that cartoon character?

Anyway, not everything is all violets and roses in our world, either...I just wanted to see how everyone was doing. Hope you have a better day today.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I am sitting in the house while DH does the things outside that I want to  be doing. It is frustrating but then I remember all those people, now including those in TX, that are much worse off than I am. I just need a few more weeks.

It is a real shock to be injured but to instantly loose your legs. The recovery time will be huge.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Give him credit for his efforts...each time I had a broken leg, Mike had to struggle to deal with my OCD doing overtime one spring, and again the following summer. In retrospect, I feel really sorry for him.

I predict that within a couple of years, if not sooner, you will see some amputees on titanium prostheses, survivors of this horrific event, running at least a token stretch of the marathon. The younger ones will probably do better than the older ones; but, I hope they all do well.

Right now, I am thinking about the families of the Newtown shooting, and their certain disappointment in the failure of the background check bill yesterday. We have forgotten a lot, as a nation, since late December, haven't we?
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Turkey Feather:Tenants

Mike just saw the guy next door in his yard, and explained that his dog has done extensive damage to my yard work. The invoice I made is for $195. None of that counts my time.

I am asking $80 for things dug up and either disappeared or destroyed. The rest will depend upon if she stays penned, and if a couple of expensive shrubs survive being replanted.

He also went inside...they have been there only since October, and he said he had to walk paths through the clothing on every floor. He has caught enough of my hoarder TV shows to see one in the making. Glad the realtor is coming today, to sign a contract on the third house, so we can start the process of getting them gone.

Oh, the idiot turned off the water to the cows on pasture beside hat house, too, then lied about it. Got to go...hope your inspection goes better than ours did this week.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Linda same here a little north of you.  If we were to try and weed we'd get very wet and freeze our little fingers off.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kay the people of Newtown already have suffered their loss.  Yesterday the rest of us in the country lost.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Soil temps are unseasonably cool here. I am sure this is why hay is late, and bulbs were lazy this year. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I think that this situation is a textbook definition of "adding insult to injury."

While I strongly defend second amendment rights to bear arms, and own and am licensed to carry my own concealed weapons, I had to pass a stribgent background fir the carrry permit.  This was after passing a pretty good training program, shooting proficiency test, and written exam. 

I do not have a problem with that,,,but, the release of names and addresses of liucensed gun owners, which some media have done, for whatever reason, is wrong, actually to the point of being counterproductive to registration and background check advocates.

0 Kudos