cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

What Next!?!

Okay, I have to admit that I've been distracted a lot this past couplemof weeks, and have missed most of the news,but even at that, I have to ask: What next with the Republican presidential candidates? Cain has worried me all along...he is just the anti- intellectual. Bad enough to have a whole crowd of women accounting jsi peccadillos in the past, and some of them paid off by his employer form his indiscretions. No,w he addresses thr former Speaker of the House as "Princess Pelosi.". Whether you like her or not - and I REALLY don't - you have to respect that she has risen to the highest elected office of any woman in nation,s history...two heartbeats from the presidency, I figurative terms. Then, there is Rick Perry's memory lapse in the debate. His odd public behavior in New Hampshire last week was bad enough..but, when you cannot recall whole federal agencies on your own hit list, if elected, maybe you shouldn't be.... In the midst of all this political implosion, Mitt Romney cannot pull 25% approval on any poll. That is a resoundingly underwhelming assessment of him as the potential Leader of the Free World. I find myself wondering a couple of things. First, if making an utter fool of oneself in front of the world isn't enough, and being shown up for being a sexist cad isn't enough, what is enough to get some of these clowns to step down from a presidential bid? I could never vote for someone who has as much as admitted, by allowing accusers to be pad off, that he is guilty of sexual harassment. I can't in good conscience vote for someone who just basically appears to be unable to present himself as presidential in public appearances. I am reduced to wondering if we will, as voters, have any credible choice presented to us in 2012. Do you think the Mormon religion is that much of a put- off for voters...or am I missing something else about Romney that has conservatives matey about him?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: What Next!?!

I agree with you on Cain.  I understand that sometimes it is best to just pay the money and avoid much higher attorney and court fees. I am not thrilled to think about voting for a Mormon but he is my pick due to his business experience and his family.  Maybe I am like a lot of others in thinking that  there should be in this many candidates one person who would really match with my thinking.  But I am amazed that anyone would want to get into this race and put up with all the crap that goes into it.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

While I understand the legal advice to make a payoff and not engage the issue at greater expense, I have never agreed with that policy...this latest story being a good example of why it's a bad idea, IF you are innocent. I once took an educational administration class, under an instructor who headed one of the largest school systems in Virginia at the time. He eventually became the state superintendent of education...a brilliant man. He told our class a story about fighting a ruling on some asbestos abatement in one of his county's many schools...the material was not friable, so was no risk to anyone. He refused to agree to pay for removal, since to do so was in his mind admitting to a fault that didn't exist. I will never forget his steadfastness of never caving in to a lie, just a for expediency. I have always tried to support this policy in my life, too, sometimes at considerable expense. In my mind, if Cain hadn't done anything wrong, he would have said, "No, this is just plain wrong...I will fight the accusations at my own expense, if necessary". Anyway, one allegation of misconduct might be written off to a genuine miscommunication, or one subordinate with issues...but, FOUR of them? What is it about Mormonism that makes people nervous? Maybe i lack a clear understanding of that faith, but mainstream Mormons seem to have values that most conservatives would applaud. What is the disconnect with the electorate and Romney...it ca nt be as simple as Romneycare....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

First off let me say I want to be a Republican, considered myself that way for years.  I truely believed in Reagon and Reagonomics.

But the last 30 some years have shown me just how corrupt human beings are.

I think the GOP cannot find a viable candidate because they are no longer a viable political party.

They took what should have been a wonderful theory and twisted and perverted it  until it is now killing this country. 

They have stopped the American dream in it's tracks.  That is what OWS is really about. 

We are in big trouble because Obama is not the leader we need.  If he was Congress would not be doing what they are doing and we would be on some sort of track for recovery for the majority of people in this country.

We are becoming the laughing stock of the world and there doesn't seem to be anyone to stop it.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It all worries me, too.  I do not so much "want " to be a Republican, as "need" to be one in many ways.  It seems that ag takes hard hits from EPA under every Democrat, and I ma just gettgin too old to keep having to learn new tricks. 

I feel that there is an undercurrent of idiocy thta seesm to feel we can, as a nation, manage without "industrialized agriculture."  Nice in theory, but who will fill the void?  Once it's too late, and we are dependent upon foreign powers for basic nutrition, instead of just out-of-season produce, we will be sunk.

Will remain a regiasered independent for now....

0 Kudos
Advisor

Good call.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I don't like to step on toes but maybe it just that way today. The Mormon faith is not a true Christian faith but one that is considered a cult. Investigate the beginning and how John Smith, uneducated, wrote the book that became their law.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have never been comfortable w/the Morman faith feeling them not to be true Christians but more of a cult.  Then I found out one of my most kind, supportive students & family are Morman.  Really, I said?!  They have always been one of my most helpful, kind families when I was teaching.  Putting extra effort to help with costumes, props, etc.

Sooo, that said I don't have any idea who to vote for.  I certainly haven't seen any true leaders out of the pack.  Very, very sad & very very scarey.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

What confuses me about this whole issue in a way is that people voted for Mr. Obama to prove they weren't prejudiced about race, but some of the same folks won't even consider voting for Romney, because of his religion. Our country is not nearly as enlightened as we would like to think, I suppose. We would not really notice as much if a candidate was Jewish, and maybe even Muslim, as if they are Mormom. All religions have similar foundations, at the root of them. What makes one faith a religion, and another a cult?
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

When people start talking about religion and the various black/white and gray areas of it, stands on controversial subjects , etc. it becomes a minefield. Just this past week, a 50 year friendship came to a crashing end because of just this discussion. I said I could not vote for Cain because of his flip flopping very confusing stand on his latest position and my friend delved into this topic and went ballistic because I said we would have to agree to disagree on it as I felt the way I felt and that was it. She couldn't handle my position because it differed from hers and she said we should go our seperate ways. I was absolutely shocked that anyone could become this worked up over a simple difference of opinion/belief whatever you want to call it over one topic. We have agreed for years on many topics and I would send her tasteless jokes supporting our shared positions on our common ground subjects and she to me.  

I have never understood the extreme prejudice against Catholics as shown in the belief that John F. Kennedy would be ruled by the Pope before he was finally elected. I should think the fear of a basically unknown religion by the mainstream population such as Mormonism would be something similar. I was amazed that a man that was born the son of a Muslim man was elected so easily. Even his admitted drug use didn't scare people off like it might have with a more mainsteam candidate. A few years ago, if a man was known as a "drinker" it would have ruined his chances, much less "blow". If a Jewish person would run for this office, I'm sure his loyalty to Israel would be called into question in this same vein. Women seem to have the hardest time of all overcoming the prejudice that faces them due to their being perceived as a weaker sex. Totally ignoring world leaders like Margaret Thatcher and Golda Meir to name just two. People fear anything different than themselves and I do believe that sometimes women are women's worst detractors.  

I was interested in Cain for a little while myself, I was willing  to give everyone a chance. Right now if pushed, I don't think I could mark the ballot for anyone at all.  Maybe this will be the opening that old Newt has been looking for? Infidelity may be perceived as the lesser of two evils, at least it is a comfortable "known" rather than a scary religion that most people don't understand. 

0 Kudos