cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

What a Pair!

Jump to solution

Ed is on an "off chemo" week so that means two things....he is at his lowest resistance to germs and highest susesptibility for a deadly infection.  He simply does not have the ability to fight a cold or flu during this week.  A cold could kill him.

Don't I get exposed to strep throat at work?!!  And I have a runny nose, sore throat, and congestion tonight. Doctor getting me in for a swab first thing tomorrow.  Trying not to panic.

Brought home Lysol spray and wipes.  Wiping door knobs, faucets, refrigerator handles, etc.

Right now we're sitting here on opposite sides of the living room, both of us wearing the medical masks they gave us in the event something like happened. I'm drinking with a straw to get behind the mask....my glasses keep fogging up.

It would be funny if not so serious.

What a pair!!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: What a Pair!

Jump to solution

Saying prayers for you both. What a bad deal! I was in the clinic office today for my allergy shot and they were very busy so the flu is still going strong.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Has he been put on Neulasta shot? That gets the immune system working. Should also keep eye on the blood counts. They really do matter.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
Picturing you two...and glad your sense of humor is still intact!
0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution
He is taking Neulasta. $16,000 per shot!

We said that some day we would laugh about this... We each ate dinner in our separate home offices which are about 85 feet apart so we could lift up our masks...then I ran around spraying everything with Lysol.....

Yes, you just have to laugh!
0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

I see seperate bedrooms in your future. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution
Yup. Going to be a long night...or long week....
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

That price is outrageous!. Mine was around $5000 plus was helped by the pharmaceutical company. Please check into this. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Oh that's quite a pickle you''re in.Sure hope it's not Strep.  My grands get it quite a bit & after 24 hrs on antibiotics they are not supposed to be contagious but don't know about Ed' s situation.  That shot should be a miracle cure.  Wow!  Are you taking pictures of the two of you?  Might get a chuckle out of it someday.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution
Since Ed just went on Medicare, and we have already met our 2015 out of pocket max for his part A and B (!), the shots are covered 100%. Even though that's what the bill says, I'm sure there is a Medicare negotiated price less than $16k.

They do a complete blood count at beginning of each chemo round. Unless all counts are high enough they will not do the chemo.

We really work hard to get enough protein into him so blood counts stay up.

I took a selfie last night but couldn't bring myself to put it on FB. It was funny!

0 Kudos