cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: What a Pair!

Jump to solution

Oh, come on LA.  Had a rough day & could really use a chuckle!  Is Ed able to tolerate food?  I know many times it isn't appetising.  Still praying for both of you.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution
His appetite the first two rounds was terrible. He lost 20 lbs in two weeks. Then we met with PA who stressed protein. Nutritionist DIL helped me concoct my own protein smoothie that he loves. Hates the Ensure and Boost!

I make this with Carnation Breakfast Essential, Greek Yogurt, whole milk, BeneCalorie and fresh fruit. Probably a pint a day I make fresh each morning. It really helped him stop losing and he actually gained back 7 pounds.

His appetite this round has been great. In addition to smoothies he eats a regular diet and is doing very well.

Chemo week he says that foods just Dont taste or smell right but this time he got through that very well

Appreciate the prayers.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

My wife is going thru chemo this winter, and this last 4 rounds have been really "kicking her butt". We had the same warnings and both had flu shots. About 10 days ago I got really sick and we were doing the lysol, hand sanitizer, and staying away thing. We rode in the car to her treatment with me wearing a mask. for a while ididn't think i could do it, because it was almost a claustrophobic feeling, but made it.  I was really, really worried, but she has NOT gotten what i had.

this has been a hard and sometimes lonely road for her. As we continue down this path, we have no idea what God has instore for us. it really makes you realize what is "important" . Our faith has helped tremendously, but still hard on any relationship and even some friendships. I had no idea how uplifting a short note from a friend could be. The kindness of a friend bringing a pot of soup or just stopping to offer help will be long remembered.

Advisor

Jump to solution

the neulasta made my wife feel worse thant he chemo. (Really "achey" , joint pain and bone pain) Well the first course, anyway. We asked and if her white blood cell count was high enough, she could skip the neulasta. Last 3 she was able to do without.

the appetite thing changed life for me. Just certain things that are appealing to her. Not alot of meat of any kind. She was slender anyway and lost some weight, but hope no more. Selfishly, i haven't had a taco, pizza, or chili since last sept. I'd really like a taco.

Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

I think it is more difficult for the spouse than the patient.  I had surgery for a very rare cancer. I had a favorite bible verse I repeated over and over when the doubt came upon me even though I had a sign that I would be ok. Staying tough and strong every day and week is hard but having a loving spouse to share the trial is a treasure.

Advisor

Jump to solution
Thank you both for sharing your experiences. I can relate to nearly all of it. Other than Christmas Eve, the feeling of being alone in this has not been a factor yet. That was such a bad night. Not that the kids werent there for us, we wanted them to be with their families.

Otherwise, I am so blessed with a great support system. One of my long term goals is to serve others who are going through this without a support system.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

There are so many groups on Facebook or WhatNext that are in varying progress of their cancer journeys, including caregivers. So many people do not receive all the information when they start and need to hear from people that gone the same path. Wishing you all good luck (it sure doesn't hurt) with this disease.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

lawinkle,

Thanks for sharing such a tough issue.  We all learn and will fight those fights sooner or later.

I got a suggestion that works for me.  I love those masks.........  Stare at him from across the room with a smile under the mask.  Try to imagine him younger and thinner (at least that is what my wife does).  

Then write him a note and tell him he is the reason your glasses are fogging up.

Keep smiling even though he can't see it.

Keep your chin up ------ it will increase the glasses fog.

Most of all, keep staring right at him cause sooner or later he is going to throw somethin.  Smiley Happy

Find ways to make a few moments special..............

God bless you both

0 Kudos