cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

What is your longest-lived hobby?

Let's set reading aside from the definition of " hobby", since it is nearly like breathing to me. i realized earlier today, when one of the kids I was teaching in TKD asked me how long I have been studying it, i am going on eight years in the do jhang now.

Maybe this takes it past the hobby level, too. If this was a college program, I'd have a Ph.D. In TKD by now.

I don't think cooking counts as a hobby, either, since someone in a household has to do that to keep everyone alive. I guess some of you have been quilting or knitting since 4-H or even earlier.

I remember being taught to do stamped cross stitch and basic e,broidery in about third grade, and crochet and knitting someone about the same age. Never got very good at any of that, although I did enjoy crewel as a young adult, and doing Winn's stocking last year was fun.

Stained glass was something I picked up by taking studio classes, and I know my BFF and I went there before we started martial arts training together. If you look at hobbies I still like and enjoy, I guess that is the one I have put in the most years doing, and the one I'd choose to do for an afternoon any chance I get...not nearly often enough this past year.

What hobby have you enjoyed the longest, and is it the one you like the most today?
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: What is your longest-lived hobby?

Some people may consider farming a hobby, Kay. I still enjoy it every day.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I suppose gardening is the only hobby I've stuck with.  I would love to be a good quilter or knitter but I honestly am not good at quilting; did it for my only satisfaction.  DGD & I stopped into the quilt store yesterday to pick up some fabric.  She dearly wants to sew and begs everytime she is here for a little while.  Had all 3 overnight Sat. a.m. until just a few minutes ago and love having them but find it difficult to please all of them.  Oldest girl is 11, middle child is boy 8, and youngest girl is 5.   Hard to find something for all to do that is fulfilling.  While I'm upstairs sewing with oldest the littler ones are fussing with each other, etc. 

When I stepped into the quilt store I got such a yearning.  Something about all that fabric calling to me.  Anyway we picked up a tea towel & some fabric to make a quick apron.  Almost done & would have been had it been just her here.  Then the 5 yr. old wants to sew too.  And she was tired from helping with chores morning & night.  But that grandson can really push your buttons.  Not sure but probably feels there's not enough attention even though he has his share.

Back to hobby.  I also used to do needlepoint.  Pretty mindless but could sit with DH & do.  Not so popular nowdays.  When I retire maybe I'll do something again.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I have been a gardener for most of my adult life, so about 35 years.  I just love plants and veggie gardening.  After many years I finally will have beautiful raised beds for my smaller plants.  I am getting anxious for some warm dry weather so I can get things planted.  I am so proud of my blueberry patch.  All 48 bushes survived and we mulched last night just in case it froze.  I am delighted with our orchard for the grands.  I put in 100 tulip bulbs but a vole dined on them and only about 20 survived but the hyacynth are so pretty and aromatic.

I have been hooking primitive wool rugs for ten years but I have not done much with it the past few years.  I have some gorgeous recycled wool ready to cut and get hooking on DGDs rug but I just dont seem to get at it.  I have some nice wool yarn up in my craft room that I got in NZ the first trip.  Id like to make a scarf with it.

Of course, photography gives me the most joy.  More a passion than as a hobbie.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Needlepoint was very popular...I remember that big football player Roosevelt Grier showing so e he had done on TV way back when. I did our family tree in it, and there is a mama pig with piglets piece about half-done, stretched on a frame upstairs. Maybe I will finish it someday...all the yarn is still there.

I liked needlepoint okay, but actually enjoyed the complexity of crewel stitches more. Ever do a bouillon stitch? It was a doozy!

Did you ever do candlewicking? I got really bad carpal tunnel or something similar doing it, so gave it up, too. Counted cross stitch took up a lot of my quiet time when the kids were young, at night waiting for Mike to come home from his second shift on the trains.

I guess there are specific reasons we pick up certain hobbies when the kids are small, and we had to stay close and be quiet. I always wanted to throw pottery. Actually took classes at an art workshop once. Loved it. Weaving is more my speed now, but I just can't find to get around to it these days.

Just picking up flower gardening at Jenna's has been so calming. I find myself wanting roses, iris, bachelor's buttons...flowers from childhood memories in my grandmother's little back garden. I found some climbing purple roses online tonight, and ordered two to try. I hope their scent is as spicy as they describe.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Farming was drudgery for me as a kid...working in tobacco and peanuts was hard, hot, filthy work, and I was put to regular chores at the age of six. It didn't know that there was any other way to grow up, until I was much older. Neither Mike nor I has any plans to farm, when we got married.

Things change. On some days, I wonder if we would have wanted to build a big hog farm as much, if we hadn't had to fight the world to do it. I could certainly have found easier ways to make a living, if not quite this financially rewarding a path.

We've made a lot of sacrifices to earn our farming stripes. I hope that in the final analysis, it will have been worth it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

it is interesting where our lives lead us.I grew up on a livestock farm until DD died suddenly.  DH did not grow up on a farm but wanted a a sow with pigs as a kid but got a ceramic one. After we were married for ten years he bought a couple of bred gilts and that is how we got into the hog business. That led to turkeys. No regrets.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Linda if you really respond to fabric you must do more quilting. I can't believe you are not good at it. There are so many patterns from very easy to very complex. When you are retired you can sit in on some classes.

I have finally been able to climb the stairs to my sewing room and have worked some on the quilt I began months ago that was to be a January project. I have tried various crafts over the years but find quilting so relaxing. After my first life threatening illness years ago I did ceramics which I liked too.  I did not like cross stitch.

When I was younger I sewed clothing for the girls and even was paid to make dresses etc. I enjoyed that too. Sewing was one of the things I learned in 4-H. Now I am into making the 'Little Dresses for Africa'. I have been given a huge amount of fabric to use which will cut down on the expense and have purchased a gadget to form the seam binding is very expensive to buy. I understand that some of these young girls are without any clothes which does make this project valuable.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

If you ever get through that fabric and need a bit more, I have some pieces - I always seemed to buy three yards of a print - that I would be glad to donate to your cause. i am afraid they would rather go naked than wear hat I could assemble.

It is neat when you can take a hobby and use it for fundraising efforts. I never sell stained glass, but do donate pieces for auction for good causes, or otherwise give it as gifts. Actually, there is one family that I should give one to locally right now. Got toget finished wiring up there at my shop, and get busy.

I think that reflecting on this, relaxation is the key element of a good hobby. Sewing does not ease my nerves enough to qualify, nor does needlework anymore. I would not put TKD in the hobby category, because I consider that a serious study and self-discipline action. Reading is all about facts to me...I need a good fiction writer to regain the joy part again.

For now, I am rediscovering flower gardening at Jenna's; with beauty as the only desired end result, that would bring me joy and peace. Glass work will have to be my mostly off-season avocation, when I can't get up there outdoors.

I worked a lot on finishing inside her house this past winter...with that stuff done, I will be making other use of the time when it gets cold again. Maybe that needlepoint pig will finally get done....

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

TF,

Little Dresses for Africa is one of my causes too. I've made a few dresses...it tears one's heart out to think of the little people without anything to wear. I've made the bigger sized dresses usually because I figure many people might be more inclined to create little dresses for the wee ones...have you made any shorts for the boys? I haven't...mostly because I lean towards clothing the girls (and the dresses are easier!).

LDFA is such a worthy cause. For the non-sewers, making dresses from pillowcases is just the thing too!

Kay,

I enjoy hearing about your stained glass obsession. I so appreciate and love stained glass; even took a class in it years ago and attempted to make a few windows. I found it is not for me....but I understand it and still love it.

0 Kudos